Rejoining BRNC after Voluntary Withdrawal From Training

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Capt_SlackBladder, Jun 20, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I joined BRNC in 2005 to be a pilot. I was there about 6 months but decided that I didn't think I could make the 12 year commitment, thought I'd be better suited to a civilian career and considered voluntary withdrawal from training. I spoke with my DO, my SSO, the Commander and the Commodore and this was approved. I left after just under 7 months, shortly after passing flying grading.

Since leaving I have worked as an engineer and am funding my own flying training (it should not be long now before I reach an employable level as a civilian pilot). I do, however, miss the military life and am, as a result, now a soldier in the TA. I regret my decision to leave and have considered applying to join again. I know from a few conversations I had before leaving that this has been done. I am now 25. I don't suppose there are many out there who have been or who are in a similar situation to me. If there are, any advice would be appreciated.

Is it worth a shot or should I just continue with the rest of my life and fly as a civilian? I know I made a rash decision and that if I'd just looked a bit further forward at the time I wouldn't have. I have learnt a great deal from it and will never make that kind of mistake again.

2. To be honest mate if I were in your shoes I would not join again. If flying planes is what you want to do then I think you will find better pay - and conditions - in civvie street (correct me if I'm wrong). As you say you have the TA to give you a military life of sorts.

Just my opinion.

3. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

What would you want to rejoin as - you are pushing it for the upper limit for Aircrew.

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I'd suggest you go and have a chat with the OCLO once again.

Bear in mind the RN has wasted a lot of money training you thus far, so you'll need to do a fair bit of convincing & you'll have to do the training all over again- do you really want that?

Personally I think you're up against it as you've already demonstrated a lack of motivation not to mention commitment & if indeed you wish to have another crack at aircrew, as already indicated, the clock is against you. If, however you wish to try as an engineer, then time is on your side.

If you never ask, you'll never get, but in this case I'd doubt you will be taken back as aircrew. You have to ask yourself what has significantly changed that now makes you 100% viable?

Good luck in what you choose - no harm in asking, s'pose...

5. Go for it.
    The mob's always short of pilots, so that's a plus.
    In addition, someone who leaves and comes back having decided that the grass isn't greener on the other side is worth more (for retention & motivation) than those people who stay in and aren't sure......

6. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

You would have to attend AIB again where you would be treated as any other candidate although be prepared for some questions concerning your earlier retirement.

Other than that - you pass, there's a space , you get to go back, badda bing badda bing.

7. Been there done that. PM me if you want to talk about it