Rejoining after DUDT

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by ocarroll_90, Jan 13, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The long and short of it is that I was discharged during week 6 of Raleigh (DUDT) when I was 17. At the time I was definitely unsuitable for it (bit of a know it all typical teenage bellend) but as the years have gone by (am 22 now) I've been wanting to rejoin. What challenges will I face? I know that I will be bottom of the pile but is there anyone else on here who's rejoined after a bad time?

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Welcome.

Nothing stopping you applying to rejoin, but there's no guarantee either way.

Most who are Discharged Unsuitable During Training are given a series of warnings prior to discharge, unless the "crime" is so heinous, they are DUDT'd straight away. The issue is under what circumstances the individual was discharged - some get discharged for simply failing to pass a couple of kit musters or failing the RN Fitness Test and it's quite possible they may have been recommended for further consideration at a later date several years later. Others get DUDT'd for disciplinary issues and are less likely to be recommended for further service.

Ultimately, the way to look at it, is if you were an employer that had to dismiss or sack someone following a series of warnings - would you be prepared to risk taking them on again or would you offer the job to someone else?

Either way, if you don't apply, you'll never find out.

Best of luck.