M0kk0h1pp6

Midshipman
Hi guys.

So I applied for an apprenticeship for the second time and got rejected again.
The first time I believe my application was just a bit shit (deck hand). The second time (engineering apprentice) I had multiple people proof read it and it was pretty damn good.
I'm trying to not get myself down as I know it can take multiple application attempts to get an interview, but I would like some advice.
I am 32, while I know legally no prospective employer can reject a person on age alone, I am not stupid and it will work against me, purely on the fact that there will not be any government money (or as much) to take on someone outside of school age.
Should I give up, or keep going? As there is no way of getting feed back at this point I genuinely don't know what I can do to improve my chances as I really want to get in.
Any advice on how to progress would be massively appreciated, now that I have to wait until September 2021 before reapplying I have time to work on things.

M0kk0h1pp6

Midshipman
I will include, I am not deluded. I fully understand that it may just be down to the fact that there are better applicants than myself and I do fear that by continually applying I am actually hurting my chances.

Waspie

War Hero
Hi guys.

So I applied for an apprenticeship for the second time and got rejected again.
The first time I believe my application was just a bit shit (deck hand). The second time (engineering apprentice) I had multiple people proof read it and it was pretty damn good.
I'm trying to not get myself down as I know it can take multiple application attempts to get an interview, but I would like some advice.
I am 32, while I know legally no prospective employer can reject a person on age alone, I am not stupid and it will work against me, purely on the fact that there will not be any government money (or as much) to take on someone outside of school age.
Should I give up, or keep going? As there is no way of getting feed back at this point I genuinely don't know what I can do to improve my chances as I really want to get in.
Any advice on how to progress would be massively appreciated, now that I have to wait until September 2021 before reapplying I have time to work on things.
You have to ask yourself, what do you want to do?

If you want the RFA then go for it but your not coming across in a very positive way asking others their opinion! (My observation from what I'm reading.)

M0kk0h1pp6

Midshipman
You have to ask yourself, what do you want to do?

If you want the RFA then go for it but your not coming across in a very positive way asking others their opinion! (My observation from what I'm reading.)
It is something I certainly want.
It's not the opinion I would like, it's advice on whether two rejections mean I shouldn't and if not then would it hurt my chances by applying again. If it won't then what would help my chances.

I have always been just ok at applications but brilliant in interviews, so I find it disheartening that I can't seem to get that far.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
M0kkOh - from my point of view, you have not been invited forward after applying for jobs at the opposite end of the spectrum! So in reality, you've only been rejected twice. I'd decide what I REALLY want to do, then get some/more experience in that area before reapplying. Good luck!

Waspie

War Hero
It is something I certainly want.
It's not the opinion I would like, it's advice on whether two rejections mean I shouldn't and if not then would it hurt my chances by applying again. If it won't then what would help my chances.

I have always been just ok at applications but brilliant in interviews, so I find it disheartening that I can't seem to get that far.
OK then, you have identified what you need to work on, Work on it.

You said your friends proof read your application. Perhaps bypassing that part. If your good at interview then apply what is good to your application. If you are happy with the application, run with it.

Just out of interest, can you ask why your application was rejected? If you can ask, do so. Then you will know where your application is letting you down.

Good luck, nil desperandum and all that.

M0kk0h1pp6

Midshipman
M0kkOh - from my point of view, you have not been invited forward after applying for jobs at the opposite end of the spectrum! So in reality, you've only been rejected twice. I'd decide what I REALLY want to do, then get some/more experience in that area before reapplying. Good luck!
My first choice was communications, but my qualifications are not accepted for the application. Engineering was my second and deck hand was my third.
I spent months really thinking and winding it down to those three in that order.
Because I have OCN's, keyskills and a few other obscure qualifications I have been told point blank that I must have GCSE's not equivalent (even though I would have to retake them again when in).
I have basic engineering experience, though this is mainly in cash in transit systems and electronics (tracking and mobile phone, tablets etc) so I am limited there.
How would I go about getting marine engineering experience. I have considered RNR though feel it would be a bit of a dick move to sign up then leave at the first chance.

M0kk0h1pp6

Midshipman
OK then, you have identified what you need to work on, Work on it.

You said your friends proof read your application. Perhaps bypassing that part. If your good at interview then apply what is good to your application. If you are happy with the application, run with it.

Just out of interest, can you ask why your application was rejected? If you can ask, do so. Then you will know where your application is letting you down.

Good luck, nil desperandum and all that.
That is very true.
In that application I pointed out what I felt showed problem solving, working alone and as a part of a team in the three questions.

Unfortunately not.
"The SIFT is a competitive process and feedback is NOT given at this stage."
I guess I'll just have to try again and aim to show how much not only I want this, but also how much I can offer. To use the cheesy terminology.

Waspie

War Hero
Not the same. As I'm talking RN vs your RFA Application.

It took me three attempts to convince members of a board that I deserved a chance to go aircrew. Turned down flatly first time, failed the second, successful at third and final attempt.

Moral, try, try and try again!!

Have you thought about gaining engineering experience by doing a college course, even distance learning will give you basic knowledge. Part time job at local garage!!!! Always ways to gain experience.

Do you fettle, tinker ie. strip down motorbikes/cars etc. That could be put forward as experience I would imagine.

M0kk0h1pp6

Midshipman
Not the same. As I'm talking RN vs your RFA Application.

It took me three attempts to convince members of a board that I deserved a chance to go aircrew. Turned down flatly first time, failed the second, successful at third and final attempt.

Moral, try, try and try again!!

Have you thought about gaining engineering experience by doing a college course, even distance learning will give you basic knowledge. Part time job at local garage!!!! Always ways to gain experience.

Do you fettle, tinker ie. strip down motorbikes/cars etc. That could be put forward as experience I would imagine.

That's a very good point. At least you got there in the end.

It is something I have looked at.
Though I was somewhat confused. I was talking to a Training officer and an ex-sailor who both told me that going out with the sole purpose to gain experience could potentially hurt my chances due to the chance of bringing bad habits with me.
I know it sounds silly and I do understand where they were coming from as I could make it more difficult to be trained up as the RFA would like me to be.
Also my own experience when running a Samsung service centre I either hired people with extensive experience (years with references) or no experience so I could train them as I needed them to be.

In saying that prior to the dark days, I was often at a friend's house stripping motorcycles, restoring and helping to repair them. When restrictions allow me to the next bike is an old Triumph. My friend really wants to get me onto manually adjusting the piston timing. (Not to mention the volume of alcohol during these projects).
I do tinker with electronics and appliances at home. Just to make sure they run as I want them to and as safely as I want them.

Skylarker

Lantern Swinger
When i applied to the RFA i was a 28 year old male i am now 30 i was very lucky to have an interview and pass first time but i have been caught up at another part of the process. Simply age i dont think was what was put against you it could have been a number of things like how you present yourself to how you did in tests and or other factors? But the key here is to keep trying, don't give up the RFA do not want people to come in and leave 2 years later, they want people who will remain and build a career, if they can see you try and try again it shows your commitment to the process and that is appealing to an employer.

But that being said, keep your chin up, it can be bloody hard, daunting and a long process, keep plugging away and best of luck to you.

M0kk0h1pp6

Midshipman
When i applied to the RFA i was a 28 year old male i am now 30 i was very lucky to have an interview and pass first time but i have been caught up at another part of the process. Simply age i dont think was what was put against you it could have been a number of things like how you present yourself to how you did in tests and or other factors? But the key here is to keep trying, don't give up the RFA do not want people to come in and leave 2 years later, they want people who will remain and build a career, if they can see you try and try again it shows your commitment to the process and that is appealing to an employer.

But that being said, keep your chin up, it can be bloody hard, daunting and a long process, keep plugging away and best of luck to you.
Thank you.
I will be applying again.
I fully understand that. I tried to find a way of putting in the fact that I want a long term career into one of my three answers.