Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rejected after having done preliminary tests and medicals (overseas candidate)

Knuckles

I'm in a bit of a situation. Was just told on Friday by email that my UCAS scores didn't add up to 72 points. A little background being on myself. 6 GCSEs, 1 A-level in Mathematics. I also have a Bachelor's degree in Aerospace Engineering and had my gotten my pilot's license years ago. Did the preliminary tests at AFCO Chelmsford as an overseas candidate. Missed the mark by first attempt, tried it the second time and passed. Cleared the medicals including the triage from Capita. Was awaiting further updates, and the rest is history.

Had applied for Aircrew Officer Pilot. The sad part for me I feel, was that I flew 3 times to the UK from Canada (including during COVID times) just to have all that done. The part regarding UCAS points I feel should've been told me in the beginning when I first went in for registration. I'm employed full-time in Canada and despite I'm fortunate to have a job these days, the Royal Navy was one of the primary career paths I was striving for as a naval aviator. It gets a little tough that despite flying back and forth for it, it came to an abrupt stop.

I might have an idea to get around it but it may require me to sit for another A-level.

My situation might be a little unique, as I am overseas (presently in Ireland on a work trip, but based in Canada).

Note : posting here as advised. Cheers

soleil

War Hero
I'm assuming that you are a British Citizen, Knuckles.

When you took your A Level in Maths, were you at a school in the UK and did you take other A Levels at the same time?

How old are you?

Knuckles

I'm assuming that you are a British Citizen, Knuckles.

When you took your A Level in Maths, were you at a school in the UK and did you take other A Levels at the same time?

How old are you?
Yes I am a British citizen. I did sit for one in Dubai years ago, as that's where I went school. No I did not take any other A-levels at the time, as A-levels were external exams in addition to the high school exams.

I was given educational waivers back in January when I sat for the NSRT, but as of recent surge in officer applications due to COVID, I was told by the recruiter that the overseas desk were no longer looking at educational waivers, hence the rejection.

I'm 28 years old.

Passed NSRT, passed medicals including triage from Capita. Was put on TMU until I could get results regarding my eye surgery, which fortunately were satisfactory for Aircrew Officer Pilot requirements. Was waiting for the careers advisor to come back from his leave as he wanted me to do a physical test followed by a Potential Officer Visit (POV).

Last edited:

soleil

War Hero
I was given educational waivers back in January when I sat for the NSRT, but as of recent surge in officer applications due to COVID, I was told by the recruiter that the overseas desk were no longer looking at educational waivers, hence the rejection.

I'm 28 years old.

Have you been able to speak directly to the Overseas Desk about this?

Knuckles

Have you been able to speak directly to the Overseas Desk about this?
Unfortunately not yet as I am unaware of their contact details, as for now the only point of contact I had was via the Royal Navy Portal with the office handling my application and by email with AFCO Chelmsford.

soleil

War Hero
Unfortunately not yet as I am unaware of their contact details, as for now the only point of contact I had was via the Royal Navy Portal with the office handling my application and by email with AFCO Chelmsford.

You can get in touch with the Overseas Desk using the London AFCO's contact details - this is where the Overseas Desk is.

It sounds to me as though you were considered eligible because the waiver scheme allowed your non-A Level but UCAS Point attracting qualifications to be counted, thus meaning that you had sufficient points.

I appreciate that the educational waivers are being disallowed at the moment, but it would be important to know how long this will be for.

It may be that the Overseas Desk will know now whether there is a date on which the waivers can be re-considered; as long as you fulfil all the other requirements on that date, you may be able to re-apply.

I would try to speak to the Overseas Desk today if you can - London is open for longer on a Tuesday, as a rule.

Bear in mind that the Overseas Desk is very small and there are sackloads of applications for them to deal with, so it might be that they will get back to you later in the week.

Try them today, though.

Tel 0207 414 3834

[email protected]

Knuckles

You can get in touch with the Overseas Desk using the London AFCO's contact details - this is where the Overseas Desk is.

It sounds to me as though you were considered eligible because the waiver scheme allowed your non-A Level but UCAS Point attracting qualifications to be counted, thus meaning that you had sufficient points.

I appreciate that the educational waivers are being disallowed at the moment, but it would be important to know how long this will be for.

It may be that the Overseas Desk will know now whether there is a date on which the waivers can be re-considered; as long as you fulfil all the other requirements on that date, you may be able to re-apply.

I would try to speak to the Overseas Desk today if you can - London is open for longer on a Tuesday, as a rule.

Bear in mind that the Overseas Desk is very small and there are sackloads of applications for them to deal with, so it might be that they will get back to you later in the week.

Try them today, though.

Tel 0207 414 3834

[email protected]
Much appreciated for your time. Thank you Soleil

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Officer Recruitment rejected because of GCSEs? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 26
C Medical rejected Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
M Rejected because of high BMI Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 3
P Got Rejected my dream is over Diamond Lil's 101
soleil Gn: "Safety Plan rejected but Nuclear Subs berthed round UK" Submariners 0
Squirrel Government rejected the offer of 60 Blackhawk helicopters. Current Affairs 23
BillyNoMates Rejected by Mills & Boon Diamond Lil's 10
D Rejected petition Diamond Lil's 1
T rejected due to eyesight Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 19
MoD_RSS The importance of having a lawyer for a parole review - CEO blog MoD News 0
Knotty Help with having stopped smoking Nearest & Dearest 6
klgreload Having no GCSE certificates for Raleigh Joining the Royal Navy 6
S First time having rash/ dermatitis Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
BigD1980 Incorrect Pension payments and Veterans Agency having none of it !! Finance & Pensions 8
S Medical board chances of being discharged after just having an op Blogs 1
D Will having engineering quals prior to joining, fast-track my career in the RN? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 20
muskovardo Dad having type 2 diabetes - Will this affect me in my medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
Chaz Oops - Three Jan dockies will think about having kids! Submariners 7
FNUSNU Las Vegas women arrested for having sec with dog. The Gash Barge 15
SONAR-BENDER She's only 29, but is never having sex again. Diamond Lil's 47
scouse Diamond Jubilee Pageant.... I'm having some of that!! History 2
scouse The Rear Admiral is having a Senior Moment Current Affairs 24
J has anyone had to recently re do their phsycometric test after having.... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
Scouse_Castaway Permission to process- Having a few problems Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
B having a girlfriend while in the navy Nearest & Dearest 57
soleil Times:"RN image suffers from having to operate over horizon" The Fleet 0
jesse Rum Ration is having a strange effect on me! Diamond Lil's 1
labrum Is Brown having a laugh? Current Affairs 3
NotmeChief Are the Swiss having second thought about Polanski Current Affairs 2
B HAVING CANCER IS BRILLIANT Current Affairs 20
Ninja_Stoker You're having a giraffe Site Issues 9
sussex2 The danger of having a shaggy bush... The Gash Barge 15
R Man jailed for having sex with a horse Diamond Lil's 38
1ManRiot Thinking about having another go... need some advice RMR 18
N ONLY 6 T45s - ARE THEY HAVING A LAUGH? The Fleet 100
S Will having a cataract operation exclude me from the marines The Corps 12
rod-gearing Excuses for not having sex Diamond Lil's 59
W Anyone having a go at the RN Duathlon, 2 Apr 08 Sports and Adventure Training 3
wet_blobby bored, having a fag Diamond Lil's 3
Penstar Having trouble getting paid correctly? The Corps 11
golden_rivet holiday pics - just testing - having probs uploading photos The Gash Barge 9
H True ER Stories....and you thought you were having a bad day Diamond Lil's 9
chinamatelot Red Caps - having fun! Diamond Lil's 14
D my findings after having been on a royal navy ship Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 34
nutty_bag Nutty_bags having a mare!! Site Issues 4
J Joining the navy after having had Asthma Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
The_Caretaker was having a chat with someone the other day about that Da Diamond Lil's 6
MoD_RSS Beat the rush by getting your MOT done this summer MoD News 0
B How is the medical triage done Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
MoD_RSS Third of FTSE 100 board members now women, but Business Secretary says more needs to be done MoD News 0