Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Regulators

Don't think he was that bothered to be honest 'cos the shore base was his last draft before he went outside.

The main snag was 'cos it was in the Sun he had to explain it all to his missus. Ooops.

Also, just remembered another dit that happened about four years ago, some killick reggie nicked a bicycle and got found out, ended up being reverted to CH1 and thrown out the branch. Dunno if that rings any bells with anyone.

Here another story from me - bad reggie time!

After the Falklands, the flight deck party of Hermes went to Earls Court for the Royal Tourney, the CMDR said go in rig, so we did but we took civvys in case.
Got to EC & a L/reggie spotted Hermes cap tallies & got us in the FAA field gun crew mess & used it as a holding pen.
He had us guarded by redcaps! until he phoned the ship & got us back to Waterloo station - he said jack wasn't allowed in London in rig.

Got back to Hermes & made to report to OOW, he asked us what happened, we complained about how we had been treated, the OOW phoned the CMDR, he came up looked at us, spoke to us & said to OOW you're right they arent drunk, leave it with me.

Dismiss lads I'll sort this.

Next day boss went to see CMDR, the reggie had phoned the ship said we were drunk & causing trouble.
2 days later we had been told the reggie was in the shit & being disrated & reverted to stoker.

I'm afraid that I cannot agree with the marching through the streets of the 5 junior rates from HMS Cornwall. Public apology is not contained in QRRN's. What was the Captain thinking of!! I can imagine the outcry if Football Hooligans or Binge Drinkers were publicly paraded through the street, or offenders of ethnic minorities. There would be hell on. Had I been the jaunty of this war canoe, I would have lodged a very serious complaint with the Captain.

Sorry lads, as an ex regulator, I could not condone this sort of exhibition.

jossman said:
I'm afraid that I cannot agree with the marching through the streets of the 5 junior rates from HMS Cornwall. Public apology is not contained in QRRN's. What was the Captain thinking of!! I can imagine the outcry if Football Hooligans or Binge Drinkers were publicly paraded through the street, or offenders of ethnic minorities. There would be hell on. Had I been the jaunty of this war canoe, I would have lodged a very serious complaint with the Captain.

Sorry lads, as an ex regulator, I could not condone this sort of exhibition.

I can understand that, after all you were there to enforce the 'book'. Sometimes though the informal route can have more impact on both the offender and the offended against. From the comments I have seen from the thos affected the response has bee excellent, and I suspect that those involved will perhaps try to prevent having to do it again. In the bad old days this would be the end of it but in this modern PC world I suspect there will be a braying for various sorts of blood from both the perpetrators and those who orgaised this method of resolving the problem.

Peter

PS I suspect that if joe public had to do the same thing after episodes of drunken racial abuse the number of incidents would fall. Many victims are more interesting in seeing an apology and some sign of contrtion than sending some one t prison or fining them.

To be honest looking at this and the 5 ratings; couldn’t this be classed as a form of bullying? They were made against their own will to be humiliated, when all it could have taken was a simple apology with out the big show!

Jenny_Dabber said:
To be honest looking at this and the 5 ratings; couldn’t this be classed as a form of bullying? They were made against their own will to be humiliated, when all it could have taken was a simple apology with out the big show!

I suspect they had a choice, and were fully aware of the cnsequences of opting for the alternative.

Peter

Maybe a quiet meeting in the Mayor's Office would have sufficed. That would have been a more tactful way of dealing with the problem.

jossman said:
Maybe a quiet meeting in the Mayor's Office would have sufficed. That would have been a more tactful way of dealing with the problem.

I don't think so, that is just sweeping it under the carpet, and any way who puts that much trust in a losal polititian. The choice for the men involved was either public apology or the standard hand down from the table, they clearly chose the public apology.

From what I have seen also the apology was well accepted by the town and the RN is still very welcome

Peter

I seem to recall that some senior officers would give you a choice 'my punishment or Commander's'. As a Junior (at sea, I might add) this meant several whacks with a plimsole that bloody hurt, but at least there wasn't the psychological torment whilst you awaited your summons and appearance at the Table and possible referral to Captains Table. Given the choice I'd always opt for the informal option, including marching through the street apologising to the locals, had it come to it.

You seem to be quoting the word "Choice", as if one had been given. Please quote your scource info please, then I will reconsider my opinion.

Ref Nozzer,as far as i know the only time when you had an option,was in front of the OOW,his max pun was No 14s,so if you were offered that option(sometimes the option wasnt offered for the heinious crime)Then you would be a fool not to take it,cos Commanders would be No9s,Tho not in all cases.No doubt the Jossman can comment,maybe todays navy are different,i can only judge on my time,and ive done my share of 9s.Tho there are lots of cases dismissed in front of OOW and Commanders.

higthepig said:
Ref Nozzer,as far as i know the only time when you had an option,was in front of the OOW,his max pun was No 14s,so if you were offered that option(sometimes the option wasnt offered for the heinious crime)Then you would be a fool not to take it,cos Commanders would be No9s,Tho not in all cases.No doubt the Jossman can comment,maybe todays navy are different,i can only judge on my time,and ive done my share of 9s.Tho there are lots of cases dismissed in front of OOW and Commanders.

I always assumed that if you were on report in practice you'd get 'done' so you were better off opting for something less unpleasant earlier on. Probably has just a little to do with G type justice.

[align=center]"Explain yourself ***"
"Well sir, it was like this..."
"KEEP SILENCE ******!!!"
"So you've chosen to remain silent..."[/align]

A sure sign of guilt, as we all know! :evil:

A couple of us on the Albion had some fun signing stores receipts with fictitious names, until the the Chief Pusser 'ran' us in (after having a laugh) for 'forging'. :oops:
We had to stand on the quarterdeck, hats in hand while the Subby read the charges, and the Chief standing there with the Stores manual under his arm, from which he read a section about signatures etc..
Bottom line - ended up polishing the racks in all the stores for quite a while after end of day toil.

jossman said:
You seem to be quoting the word "Choice", as if one had been given. Please quote your scource info please, then I will reconsider my opinion.

If it were an order, it would I am pretty certain have been an illegal order, there in lies the choice, but from personal experience, and as I have said I did do something very similar, although the option was to go and do the appologising and pay for the barrel of beer, or deal with the police, the lads tok the sensible option and nothing more was heard of it. On most boats I served on it was common for the choice of the table or the Coxswain's grotty job list to be given for minor offences. At the end of the day sensibly applied such options were best for all. The nasty jobs got done, the offender didn't get any thing on his record and learnt not to do it again. Maybe in todays PC world this is not considered good, but in my experience it worked bloody well, and was an excellent way of finding 'volunteers' for the lees popular tasks.

Peter

I was also given credit for having done a crappy job and then transgressing, the Skipper took in to consideration the fact that I had spent a lot of time chipping and painting the Tower on a A boat, and counted that as the punishment for my misdemeaner, as you say Peter, in boats and I'm sure elsewhere, commonsense was often used. Another favourite was stoppage of leave, served whilst at sea.

Latest Threads