Regrets...

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by Guzzler, Oct 11, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ...we've all had a few.

Having just watched University Challenge between two Oxbridge colleges the green monster rose a little. I would have loved to have done university - preferably one of the big three, Oxford, Cambridge or...err...Hull.

There are more of course (regrets I mean - obviously there's more universities).

Anyone else?

2. Guzzler

It's not too late for you to go to University.

3. I don't regret anything really, however I do wish sometimes when seeing old oppo's who are PO's and Chief's now that I remained in not having to rejoin.

I don't regret it though

4. Same as you mate.

5. Oh I know that Sol.

I've just finished a first year with OU and had very pleasing results but had to leave it for a while due to redundancy and the need to concentrate on finding employment.

Once I'm sorted I'll crack on and get my degree, and then, if I can afford it, I'll knock all this work rubbish on the head and get my Masters.

It was just the idea of Oxbridge that appealed - my 'occasional lodger' was at King's doing Anglo-Saxon Nordic and Celtic studies and I'm very envious.

Thanks for your comment :)

6. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

No serious ones here, perhaps, and only perhaps, the biggest would be missing chances to actually see some of the places I've been, instead of just hanging one on. But if I had done so, would it all have been so much fun?

7. So far my regret is when I chose to study Sport Science for my degree at Exeter. I had the option to do History at Cambridge instead. Chose Sports because I didnt think Id fit in there which was fecking stupid of me but oh well. A history degree is something Il look at later down the line

8. You're welcome.

It's not too late to apply to Oxbridge either. You could apply to one of the Oxbridge colleges to do your postgrad.

By the way, there's a retired High Court Judge called Sir Oliver Popplewell who started at Oxford in 2003. One of his first ports of call at the Freshers' Fair was, I am told, the table for the rugger club!

At that point, he was 76! :)

9. Fair comment tiddlyoggie, and I empathise.

I have fallen foul of missing the lot due to alcohol (fortunatley that includes about 100 visits to Pompey) - but at the tender age of 19 my third run ashore (after Falmouth and Gib) was Haifa in Israel. Did the piss-up in Tel Aviv but managed to do the 'culture' as well - so glad I did.

I can never go there again as with a nose like this they'd never let me leave.

10. My first deployment to the Far East I spent on a liquid diet pretty much, however for my second deployment NTG2k Global I made sure did plenty of sight seeing, so I got to do the Bridge over the river Kwai tour, Vietnamese Chu Chi War Tunnels, Great Wall of China/ Summer Palace and surfed Hawaii's beaches.

11. Thanks again sol,

As you have probably gathered I'm doing the degree thing for 'fun' but my tutor in the 'foundation' (it wasn't that exactly but you know what I mean) suggested I could go on to teach OU if I went for it. He did national service in the RN so must be knocking on and it seems an interesting option (I would only want to teach those who want to learn).

Anyway, back to regrets - never did see Ian Dury :cry:

12. Blimey S_C. must admit I sympathise there. History at Cambridge is my dream study. Maybe the sports thing was a vocational idea, which is understandable.

13. I did. I saw him at the London Forum in Kentish Town.

14. Grrr...

Closest I came was at Glasto but the poor chap had to pull out due to his health.

Think that was the one when I missed Siouxsie as well due to 'confusion' (though, of course, Sue & I go back a long way 8) )

15. Perhaps I've not phrased it well.

I am very happy with my life, but there are a few things that I wish I had done (and as Sol says, may yet do) but regret not doing.

As she says, this can be remedied to some extent, but I will never be a 21 year-old history undergarduate at Oxbridge. I wish I had been.

I am not being negative, but to say you have no regrets about anything is macho bollocks.

16. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

I have lots...but then I think to myself, if I had done anything different I would not have had the life I have now, my wife, my daughter and my grandchildren. So although 'regrets, I have a few...' I don't suppose that I would change any of my past. The future though, who knows? At 77 can I still study for a 'Fine Arts' degree? Maybe a tad ambitious eh ?

17. Not really but if I had the chance to choose a career after the mob again,I would choose Geology .
    I don't know why but all my life I've been fasinated by the rocks in the earth,all those differrent colours of stones and how the rocks can tell you things from millions of years ago.
    Not Law,Medicine or astronomy,geology would have been my pick.

18. Macho? Interesting...

You opened a thread, I responded viz a viz my personal circumstance - I have no regrets (isn't that a song?)

I've never been into 'what ifs'. Happiness doesn't come into it but I'm glad you're happy.