Regret

Rozz

Midshipman
I will be 36 in September and I am coming up to the pjft. My biggest regret was not going in at 18. I then went on to have a family and didn't want to leave them. I joined the RNR last year and now this year took the leap and decided (with the support of my children who know how much I regret it) to go for it. To be honest I'm anxious but mainly due to my age. But don't want to live with regrets. If I don't make it there is always thr RFA. Do you think that could also be an option for you? There is no cut off for the rfa and you get some similar training and a carer at sea

Last edited:

BillyNoMates

War Hero
I did 22 years Royal Navy because I turned to the right in the Recruiting Office in Hull North Humberside. If I had gone left, to the other desk I would have joined the RAF!
Simple as that.
Just finished another 23 years in the MoD doing the same job in civvies and retired in May 2018.
Have just applied for yet another job to do much the same as I've always done.
The only thing that's changed on my CV is that it is now in PDF format and not chiseled out in Latin on a stone tablet.
Enjoy your life because there's nowt to look forward to when you stop breathing

Mac

WreckerL

War Hero
I did 22 years Royal Navy because I turned to the right in the Recruiting Office in Hull North Humberside. If I had gone left, to the other desk I would have joined the RAF!
Simple as that.
Just finished another 23 years in the MoD doing the same job in civvies and retired in May 2018.
Have just applied for yet another job to do much the same as I've always done.
The only thing that's changed on my CV is that it is now in PDF format and not chiseled out in Latin on a stone tablet.
Enjoy your life because there's nowt to look forward to when you stop breathing

Mac
In a coincidence I turned right and went into the AFCO, if I'd turned left I would have gone into the brothel as intended.

Dipped in really, did 33 years and was shafted regularly by drafty but got paid for it, if I'd turned left I would only have been done over once and I would have to have paid! :)

barny006

War Hero
I joined Ganges Jan 67, 90 recruitment you could not get out / discharged, we had one lad who drank a diluted cup of pussers disinfectant the black stuff that turned white when mixed with water, he was never seen again, that was from the Annex, I ended up after 26 years retired from the Mob and now instruct my local Sea Cadets, who are off to Portland Next week.

fishhead

War Hero
I joined Ganges Jan 67, 90 recruitment you could not get out / discharged, we had one lad who drank a diluted cup of pussers disinfectant the black stuff that turned white when mixed with water, he was never seen again, that was from the Annex, I ended up after 26 years retired from the Mob and now instruct my local Sea Cadets, who are off to Portland Next week.
Please give my regards to Bill if you have the time. ;)

I thought you weren't supposed to mention rabbits. Although the Lord only knows why. :)
Try this version, @dapperdunn

<<By Janner: As for Portlands Rabbits the Quarrymen* blamed any rock falls or accidents on their burrowing.

By BOOTWU: The expanded version (Myth or Legend?) related to a particular incident when dynamite was incorrectly placed, not in the pre-drilled hole for it but in a similar sized adjacent rabbit hole.

Explosion misdirected along labrynth of warrens resulting in overdose of rock falls and the deaths of Quarrymen whose remains still lie entombed to this day...

Truth or otherwise that legend adds strength to the verboten word...>>

*the operative Portland Q'men BTW, not those long-hared (see what I did there?) loafers at:

taffscrivs

War Hero
At Portland for workup on Eskimo my oppo Chris 'Jed' Stone who is Portland born and bred failed to turn up from home one day. He arrived next morning and was promptly 'trooped' charged for being awol. At the table his plea was that he'd seen a rabbit on his way from home and as a Portland Islander he took it as a bad omen and thought it safer to stay at home that day. Amazingly The Jimmy accepted his story with the warning that he couldn't use that excuse again! (In reality he'd spent the day out on the piss.)

Sumo

War Hero
At Portland for workup on Eskimo my oppo Chris 'Jed' Stone who is Portland born and bred failed to turn up from home one day. He arrived next morning and was promptly 'trooped' charged for being awol. At the table his plea was that he'd seen a rabbit on his way from home and as a Portland Islander he took it as a bad omen and thought it safer to stay at home that day. Amazingly The Jimmy accepted his story with the warning that he couldn't use that excuse again! (In reality he'd spent the day out on the piss.)
We had a Jimmy like that, give a good, almost believable dit, and he would let you off?