Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Regimental march?

I remember during Divisions, that no matter how crap the assembled mass was at the march passed (and trust me , the Coldstream Guards we weren't!), as soon as Hearts of Oak, was played, we all seemed to get into step, no-one Tick Tocked....chests swelled....Trafalgar spirit...tear in eye...should i go on?

Who's Navy were you in? I always thought they only played that because it was the only one they all knew? Obviously not paying attention - again!

Having been the only matelot at Catterick Garrison in the early nineties on an exchange job with 8 Signal Regiment I have vivid memories of Hearts of Oak being used as the RN's 'Regimental March'. The only one stood up at a Regimental Dinner in front of 300+ squaddies, music coming from the band behind me, verbal abuse, food and crockery coming from the animals in front of me! Great memories and great all night piss ups :p

J.J. said:
Having been the only matelot at Catterick Garrison in the early nineties on an exchange job with 8 Signal Regiment I have vivid memories of Hearts of Oak being used as the RN's 'Regimental March'. The only one stood up at a Regimental Dinner in front of 300+ squaddies, music coming from the band behind me, verbal abuse, food and crockery coming from the animals in front of me! Great memories and great all night piss ups :p

Welcome to RR J.J. and thanks for the G-Spot contribution. Were you an inmate?

It's Heart of Oak, without the s.

We don't seem to have a slow march; Royal has A Life on the Ocean Wave as the quick and the Preobrajensky March as the slow, but we have only a quick. For the passing out of Dartmouth, the slow march is done to Will Ye No Come Back Again / Auld Lang Syne.

Always_a_Civvy said:
J.J. said:

Fortunately I was not :D Thanks for the welcome although I have been reading the forums for a while now. Seeing the Ganges photographs thread meant I could at least contribute something sensible for my first post :wink:

J.J. said:
Always_a_Civvy said:
J.J. said:

Fortunately I was not :D Thanks for the welcome although I have been reading the forums for a while now. Seeing the Ganges photographs thread meant I could at least contribute something sensible for my first post :wink:

Thanks JJ much appreciated, glad to know that at least that some that were not associated with the place have interests in it. Please keep up the good work.
And yes it did nearly bring the proverb able to the eye. How could they do it to the place? So many memories.

Oh and by the way welcome to the loony bin.

Probably a bit late this reply as I imagine this event has already occurred but:

Barbarasson - Hearts of Oak should be played after any bars of national anthems and toasts for heads of state, if foreign officers are present. Hearts of Oak is played before 'A life on the Ocean Wave' (if any RM are present) and before any regimental marches for the regiments represented which are played before the RAF's march.

The bandy needs to be briefed early which foreigners and regiments are represented.

Hey Jimmy your not that poor sad bugger on the Penzance train (1205 out of Paddington) on Friday with Heart of Oak coming out of his mobile are you - nearly peed myself on that one! :lol: Gawd you do get 'em bleeding OD does your mummy know you go out alone? :roll:

Latest Threads