Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Refinery 29: "Money Diary - A Submariner On £43k In Her Last Week On Shore For Months"

soleil

War Hero
"This week: "I'm a Royal Navy submariner and this is my final week at base before I embark on my third deterrent patrol, on board one of the four ballistic missile submarines which serve as the UK's at sea nuclear deterrent. At least one of these submarines is on patrol under the sea, every minute of every day, ready to respond.

It’s a really busy week for me as a logistics officer, as it's my job to make sure the submarine has everything it needs to sail for months at a time, from spare parts to all the food for the crew, not forgetting the loo roll! I also have to conduct 'officer of the day' duties, where I act as the captain’s representative, responsible for the safety and security of the submarine. On top of this I need to make sure that I and all my team have sorted all our personal preparations ready to go to sea again, and there is always some last-minute training to do!"

Ageing_Gracefully

War Hero
Review Editor
Book Reviewer
"This week: "I'm a Royal Navy submariner and this is my final week at base before I embark on my third deterrent patrol, on board one of the four ballistic missile submarines which serve as the UK's at sea nuclear deterrent. At least one of these submarines is on patrol under the sea, every minute of every day, ready to respond.

It’s a really busy week for me as a logistics officer, as it's my job to make sure the submarine has everything it needs to sail for months at a time, from spare parts to all the food for the crew, not forgetting the loo roll! I also have to conduct 'officer of the day' duties, where I act as the captain’s representative, responsible for the safety and security of the submarine. On top of this I need to make sure that I and all my team have sorted all our personal preparations ready to go to sea again, and there is always some last-minute training to do!"

Says she lives in her own therefore I take it she is a singlie. How, therefore can she claim LSA and GYH allowances?

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Sounds like she is the Supply Officer, as was.

Anyone recall the famous fraud years ago whereby someone opened an account in the name of S.O. Cash....
Yep, just make your cheque payable to SO Cash.

I was wondering the same thing. Doesn't mention her paying food and accom during her time alongside in Faslavatory either.

Mmmm - Log O, formerly S & S, aka White Mafia.

First thing they learn is every trick in the Book known to Pussers only then cunningly apply those rules & regs to their own specific happenstances whilst forever secreting entitlement details from all & every A N Others.

Who can blame 'em?

Edit to add her revealing clue: "...make sure that I and all my team have sorted all our personal preparations ready to go to sea again...>>

Dusty70

War Hero
Mmmm - Log O, formerly S & S, aka White Mafia.

First thing they learn is every trick in the Book known to Pussers only then cunningly apply those rules & regs to their own specific happenstances whilst forever secreting entitlement details from all & every A N Others.

Who can blame 'em?
No I didn't.............................................................................much......................................................only when absolutely necessary

Ageing_Gracefully

War Hero
Review Editor
Book Reviewer
I was wondering the same thing. Doesn't mention her paying food and accom during her time alongside in Faslavatory either.
She did point out her Mess Bill to which some food was directed. However I thought a bill of £70 for the month quite low.

Submariners don’t pay for accom alongside (unless things have changed) because they can’t live on the boat.

£70 for food a month plus mess fees sounds about right. I doubt she drinks.

I mean not everyone in the RN is a functioning alcoholic...

Ageing_Gracefully

War Hero
Review Editor
Book Reviewer
LSA is paid for every day the SM is not in base port.
She owns her own home, gets GYH.

Simples!
I thought separation allowance was paid when one was separated by deployment etc from one's spouse and GYH also was to get one home to their family. I have not heard of singles being allowed these allowances.

Ageing_Gracefully

War Hero
Review Editor
Book Reviewer
Submariners don’t pay for accom alongside (unless things have changed) because they can’t live on the boat.

£70 for food a month plus mess fees sounds about right. I doubt she drinks.

I mean not everyone in the RN is a functioning alcoholic...
I take it you did not read her story. She had a cabin in the shore Mess and only slept on board when duty officer.

Ok rethinking this, what you are saying that once they get their dolphins submariners stop paying F&A charges? Until I assume they are posted away to a staff or non boat based slot?

Last edited:
I take it you did not read her story. She had a cabin in the shore Mess and only slept on board when duty officer.

Ok rethinking this, what you are saying that once they get their dolphins submariners stop paying F&A charges? Until I assume they are posted away to a staff or non boat based slot?

On a surface ship, you can live onboard whilst alongside. You can't do that in a boat, so they're entitled to free shoreside accommodation.

Equally, you used to get some of your meals for free onboard. I'm not sure how that works for submariners, but if you're regularly duty (she will be) she'll only pay for a proportion for the month: duty meals are free.
I thought separation allowance was paid when one was separated by deployment etc from one's spouse and GYH also was to get one home to their family. I have not heard of singles being allowed these allowances.

Nope, LSA is regardless of marital status. GYH relies on you owning a house (or at least 'maintaining' one).

D108

Midshipman
Says she lives in her own therefore I take it she is a singlie. How, therefore can she claim LSA and GYH allowances?

Having read the whole diary the bit about decorating her BOYFRIENDS car gives it away

I hope you weren’t in charge of authenticating EAM’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Union Jack

Badgeman
Sounds like she is the Supply Officer, as was.

Anyone recall the famous fraud years ago whereby someone opened an account in the name of S.O. Cash....
Yep, just make your cheque payable to SO Cash.

I believe that the account concerned was opened in the name of "Stanley Oscar Achilles" when ACHILLES was visiting New Zealand on a group deployment in the dim and distant past - probably even before you joined!

Amused too by the lack of detail concerning:

"A quick trip into town to stock up on magazines for the ship’s company to read when we're on patrol. I go mad in WHSmith and come out with over 100 – I need to cater for a wide range of hobbies!"

In view of the lack of space and the necessity to be secured for sea at all times, some can very helpfully be stowed in that little cubbyhole in the wardroom heads......

Jack

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
soleil BBC R4: Wed, 23rd September 2020 - 3 PM - Money Box Live - Armed Forces Financial Help Finance & Pensions 2
soleil FB: HMS Raleigh RN Submarine School - Torpoint Marathon To Raise Money For The Submariners' Memorial Appeal Submariners 3
MoD_RSS Scottish teenagers each to get access to pot of money over the next nine years MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Regulator updates guidance on Value for Money metrics MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK calls for global action to protect vital money transfers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Charity operating in high-risk areas ‘reckless’ with charity’s money MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New Sellafield bus contract will improve service and save money MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Student Money Week 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Regulator publishes value for money annex to its 2019 Global Accounts MoD News 0
MoD_RSS More than 100,00 civil money claims issued online MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Bankruptcy restrictions for gambler who squandered friend’s money MoD News 0
MoD_RSS DAO 04/19 Update to Managing Public Money Annexes MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Money sender fined record £7.8 million in money laundering crackdown MoD News 1
MoD_RSS Criminals to face fresh crackdown in fight against dirty money MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: New rules to better protect renters' money MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Estate agents targeted in money laundering crackdown MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Builder banned for taking clients’ money despite company’s insolvency MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: New measures to tackle international money laundering MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: UK takes top spot in fight against dirty money MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Government campaign to prevent properties bought with dirty money MoD News 0
vauxhall AFF Launches Money Month Finance & Pensions 0
MoD_RSS News story: Better value for money and fairer profits MoD News 0
Putzifly Surrey dripping with money voted to leave-Why? The Gash Barge 49
joeG How much money should i take to raleigh? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
F Finx's funny money The Gash Barge 14
soleil Telegraph: "'Britain Must Scale Back Ambitions Without More Defence Money'" Current Affairs 19
sgtpepperband Take Two 'Normal' People, Add Money To Just One Of Them, And Watch What Happens Next The Quarterdeck 26
P It's one way to make money The Gash Barge 1
MoD_RSS Announcement: The Defence Secretary on delivering value for money and innovation in D MoD News 0
sgtpepperband Cameron: "We are raising money for the rich" Current Affairs 7
soleil HMS Westminster - Martin Lewis Money Show - ITV1 - Tuesday, December 11th 2012 The Fleet 1
trelawney126 Olympic money for Lands End Current Affairs 2
L A blonde, wanting to earn money.?. Miscellaneous 0
F Governments and our money The Gash Barge 3
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp £37k - Value for (our) Money? Diamond Lil's 20
soleil Mail: "One Pranged Sub Etc - How The Hard-Up MoD Wasted £110m Of Our Money" Current Affairs 5
trelawney126 Another Waste of Money Diamond Lil's 17
Naval_Gazer MW Branch cyclists raising money for RN & RM Charity and Project Vernon Charity 6
janner Help with money The Gash Barge 10
trelawney126 Scilly Isles £38m.Transport Links Not Value for Money States MP Current Affairs 7
mazza_magoo money Miscellaneous 0
The_Caretaker Taking a break from counting his money Miscellaneous 0
A The Insurance Money Miscellaneous 0
Topstop So F-18s it is then if the Septics want to save more money? The Fleet Air Arm 3
yamyamdabber Clock off for a smoke! Why dont the Navy save money! Current Affairs 15
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp Prize Money Current Affairs 4
Stirling Guilt Money ?. Current Affairs 9
stokers64 raising money for H4H Charity 0
Capn_Pugwash SCC makeover - what a *^%$£& waste of time and money SCC and URNU 14
Guns Europe looks set to screw the UK for more money Current Affairs 30