Referring to ratings of different ranks

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Sophie, Jul 19, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This sounds a bit stupid but I can't find the answer anywhere!
    How do you refer to ratings of different ranks - for example, in the Army, Lance Corporals and Corporals are called "corporal" (go figure rite?), sergeants are called, "sergeant", staff sergeants are called "staff" (its getting a bit more interesting) and warrant officers are called "sir/ma'am".

What is the equivelant for ranks in the Navy?

2. Leading Hand = Leading hand
    Petty officer = P O
    Chief petty officer _ Chief
    Warrant officer = Sir
    Rest of the pigs = sir
  3. Leading Hand is a bit of a mouthful, is it shortened at all?
  4. Yeah, those above can say Leader, hooky etc. But most Juniors will just use the name, it is pretty informal on ships and out of officer earshot.
  5. For your useless information Sophie, anyone senior to a warrant officer addresses him as "Mr / Mrs" rather than sir/ma'am.
  6. Oh - and you probably know this, but don't EVER refer to a Regulating Petty Officer as "Petty Officer" or "PO". Your life will be shortened! (They much prefer "RPO"). Similarly, calling a Master-At-Arms "Chief" always gets a rise! (look for the white bracelet thing)
  7. I hear that it's changing to Leading Seaman soon for all leading rates instead of Leading Hand - and AB's will be Seaman (no mater what there trade)
  8. Bloody hell,thats gonna put the cat among the pidgeons in the Medical Branch!!!Medics being classed as seamen???I dont think so! :lol: :lol:
  9. Just to throw AVCAT on the fire......

I remember ABs who used to emphasize the "Able" to distinguish them from OD (ordinary seaman). Come the sods opera, many ODs were characters like "DISabled seaman nutty" who were mess sweeps nazis. Revenge is a dish best served drunk.

Charge Chiefs are called "Chief", but most will wave the little badge (goes on the wrist of the no.1/2 uniform) in your face, and a few MEAs and AEAs like to be called "Charge" to distinguish them from their mess mates (who refer to them by an altogether more hedgehog like name). Once you become one you realise its just an ADQUAL that gives you most of the responsibility of an EO and none of the pay so you generally dont mention it. WO gives you the "Sir" but makes you undraftable. For a good giggle just watch a middy call a WO Mr... (eg off Portland at sea trg BOST/COST). Middies fond of life tend to be respectful of WOs.

Being that Tiffs used to join at 16-20 and be Chiefs from 23-25 yrs old, as they wear no trade badges, it can get interesting when sauntering round airbases with beret in pocket (you dont wear non-SE headgear round the flightline). With only a flight "flash" badge on your OVs to name you, imagine encountering jumped up crab corporal screaming "OI LAAAAAAD, C' the DABBLE".....

To further confuse matters the Army have no direct equvalent for Chief as they have WO II's in the same jobs, so for Tri-service jobs Chiefs are called Sir a lot and run out of cute explanations. Plus the hat badge is too close with the gold leaves so pongos chop you (bless 'em) and you end up taking b***ckings for not wearing the hat everywhere. Of course they reciprocate by having officer ranks in black badges on DPMs and swanning round naval airbases with hat on, this means your supposed to chop 'em, and getting lit when some baby stores basher doesnt. These are referred to as donkey wallopers (Household Cav.) and are all called Gordon, Jeremy, or Nigel. I beleive the resident Junglie (Daz) can testify to the fun that Jack and Royal have with Colour Sgts, SM and RSMs (Colour Sgt=Chief, SM/RSM=Sir)

Anyway, as someone pointed out, we use first names (or nicknames) at sea, even some officers prefer this, they feel more like one of the lads, esp. if they rose throught the ranks. They will also go by job titles, eg FLOBS (flt observer or JAFO), WSO (pron. Weezo), WEO, DAEO (deps), SPLOT (senior pilot). My personal favourite was THROB, as the 'royal' observer used to refer to himself, or "that arrogant little c*ck" as the MTP (manit test pilot) used to call him.

Anyway wikipedia have a comparison of the services but anyone can see its shot full of inaccuracies....
  10. FOBAS , Flag Officer buzz's and Scandals :roll: :oops:
  11. Wasn't that the way it was before?

with the trade following, eg "Leading Seaman Gunner" and so on.

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

the new 1SL probably has something to do with it, after all it was he (I believe) who changed "passing in parade" back to "passing out".
  12. Ships_Cat,

Charge Chiefs went out a couple of years ago! They're now WO2s, get called Sir by subordinates, and have a badge similar to that of Army WO2s. As with Charge Chiefs, WO2s only exist in technical branches (ME, WE, AE).
  13. Dunno about this 'Sir' stuff for ratings and WO's (?wot they?) didn't need them when I was in the Navy - probably still don't!

Apart from the OD's and 'Able' Rates we had three 'marked' rates

'Killicks', 'PO's' and 'Chiefs', apart from the 'Joss' (on big ships) was all we needed - it worked, we worked and the informal stuff always upset the pongoes which was good for moral!

Oh yes! Middies where just that or snotty depending on wheter you liked them or not - they never took offence either (couldn't) :twisted:
  14. See, you leave the mob for 10 years or so and they go monkeying with the ranks. Next you'll be telling me they did away with blue and red badges :wink: I guess I really should know as I still have oppos who are CC, charge holders (ACC etc) before going SD or whatever they call that list now. Small ship SMRs used to drag their heels on becoming CCAEA because from there you can either be a sqn SMR or end up as a Zoomie SMR under a WO1. I know some CMEA's used to fear becoming CCMEA as it meant a whole world of shore jobs they didnt want to be eligible for, and with loss of sea time could end up as a pay drop, esp if you were SM.

Of course its a simpler structure, and with all the tri-service stuff now I suppose its time we made it easier on the pongoes little grey walnut and their overwhelming desire to call everbody sir. A lot. Very loudly.
  15. when i were on the murmansk run. (1942) we got torpeded and i were fished from the sea. when i got on deck of a corvette the leading seaman bollocked me for leaving oil stains on his deck. I decked him, weak as i was, and since then i've always called leading hands cnuts. Cheers to the captain though, without im i'd still be paddlin.
  16. If this is a bite...... :lol: nice one.

If thats gen dit, you can call me shirley if you like, youre welcome to down my tot and swamp my pit. Or at least come round for tea and sticky bun to explain the quality street you must be sporting.......
  17. If I remember correctly :

Petty = Small

Hence Petty Officer means Small Pig.
  18. i heard it as Petty Officer = Little Grunter
  19. I was personally called 'The Egg on Legs' No respect these JR's LOL

This was in 1969'ish

20. Just about got it right there but I suppose the rest were jealous. What on earth would they have made of the old field gun crews, senior rates dressed as junior rates?