References..

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by rolling-stone, Jun 15, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

Ive passed my RT and am now filling in the last bit of my application form and have come to references..

Now for the personal one, it says someone with a standing in the community and a few examples (doctor, cleric and some other high up jobs) The truth is i dont know anyone with any of these jobs?? I have plenty of adult friends with jobs who could give me a reference, but they just have normal jobs like mechanic, i.t tech, builder.. Will these not suffice? If not what else am i supposed to do? :S

2. Ask a hooker.

3. Teacher, College lecturer or GP?

4. I left school college 4-5 years ago.
    I dont really know my GP!

5. Do you know the muffin man?

6. The muffin man

7. Anyone?? I want to get this posted tomorrow AM and itll be too early to ring the AFCO.. I tried the local candlestick maker, but his phone was off :(

8. Doctor Foster?

9. My local GP is Doctor Foster but not sure if he's been to Glouchester though

10. I find this thread extremely unhelpful, cruel and entertaining.

11. Oh come on lads cut the guy some slack.......for once this is one of the more sensible quesitons.

OP.......tbh I think your best bet is to speak to the AFCO to get clarification but I think the people that you know will suffice - I mean how many people actually know their doctor well enough to get a reference from them (and if they do would they be medically fit to join the RN,lol?) Does any of these people own their own business etc, which may increasing their ''standing' ?

The other thing to remember is that the post isn't collected usually until 5pm so you will have plenty of time to speak to the AFCO and still get it posted.

12. Do you know a Tinker?

13. Just lie.

I did and got 25 years and a pension.

14. You've been told to behave......

15. I love you when you're angry.

16. Yes naughty step, now! :roll:

OP: No GP? No Teacher from your last School? No Work Place Manager? See the AFCO man for advice.

17. It stipulates 'known for at least 12 months and had contact with you in the past 6 months'

I was similarly stuck myself... The thing is, if you think one of your college teachers might remember you, why don't you just get in touch with them and ask them to do it? That's your contact-within-the-past-6-months right there!

18. I was under the impression that there was a certain period of time after leaving education that a tutor/teacher was counted as elligible for giving a reference.

19. If he's elligible (??) that would be alright. You can always put down Keyser Soze and the other usual suspects.

20. Mmmm.

Good business opportunity for Blackrat/Jo-Jo; as "References'R'us...."