References... please advise!

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by brighton132, Feb 25, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi there.

I know that there's quite a few posts on here already that deal with references, but I've had a look and can't quite get an answer, so any advice would be very gratefully received!

I have my current employer (they've been told and are very supportive) as my first reference, so that is all fine.

But for my second reference, I have a bit of an issue. I am 22 and haven't been at school or uni for the last couple of years, so according to the guidelines I can't use any of my teachers or lecturers (as I haven't been in contact within the last 6 months). I don't personally know any doctors, lawyers, judges or clergy.

I could put my Mum's friend (who is a teacher) and does know me (but not that well) as a last resort, but I was wondering if it would be better to put a lecturer or teacher, who could give me a more in depth reference, even if I haven't seen them for a while?

And am I correct in assuming that i can't put a past employer down as my second reference?

I know these are fairly stupid questions, but if anyone can help that would be fantastic.

Thanks in advance!

2. My second reference was my mums friend, who was a teacher, and who knew me, and that was absolutely fine. Have you spoke to your CA about it?

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

3. Ah thank you! No I haven't yet, but I may if I can't decide what to do. That's reassuring though :)

4. OMM

OMM War Hero

My second reference is my school and I left in 2008!

AFCO said it was fine.

5. Ahh great! I might have a chat with the careers advisor tomorrow, and probably go with one of my teachers or lecturers. Thanks for the help!

6. My adviser told me to change one of my referee's because I've been out of school, since 2010..

7. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

You can always ask me to be your referee. I'll just lie like **** and tell them you have a fantastic personality and are intelligent.

8. ah thanks very much... that's a huge weight off my mind.