Redundancy - The Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by digger84, Oct 20, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Armed Forces Redundancy Package.

For serving personnel Read Defence Internal Brief 2010/80. Also DIN 2010-01-188, DIN 2010-01-187 all three are very important reading for all concerned.

2. Re: Armed Forces Redundancy Package.

That page, I think, explains the legal situation from an employment law point of view (i.e. the bare minimum an employer is legally obliged to give in terms of redundancy pay) and the DIN indicates what the MoD has chosen to give as redundancy pay, which does seem to exceed the bare minimum explained on that page.

3. Re: Armed Forces Redundancy Package.

The DIN is probaly the gospel in this case.

4. Re: Armed Forces Redundancy Package.

Does seem to be at odds, but this is the para I was referring to.

"Employees not entitled to redundancy payment

If you fall into the following categories then you are not entitled to receive redundancy pay:

members of the armed forces
    House of Lords and House of Commons staff
    some apprentices – although you should check your contract
    some employees with fixed-term contracts before 1 October 2002 – you should check your contract of employment
    domestic servants working in private homes who are members of the employer’s immediate close family
    share fishermen paid only by a share in the proceeds of the catch
    Crown servants or employees in a public office
    employees of the government of an overseas territory
    "

I can't recall exactly what happened to the FAA who lost their jobs way back in the 70s, but it does raise the question as to exactly what will happen to those affected by the latest releases.
    Are MOD and HMG reading from the same page, I wonder ??

I'm due to lose my job also under the Government cutbacks (building closures), but as I'm in the security sector, and the way they currently seem to work out the package is 1.5 weeks pay (over the age of 41) per XX years (max 20 I think) to a maximum of £380 per week - not a lot really.
    Still, I have my health (cough cough !!) ;) and my wealth :roll: to keep me going ....... :(

Wishy all you guys who may be affected, all the best luck :thumbright:

5. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

Re: Armed Forces Redundancy Package.

Your link refers to statutary redundancy pay (1 weeks pay for each year served for under 40's 1.5 for over 40's up to whatever the limit is now) Those on your list are not entitled to satutary redundancy pay because their non - contributory pension scheme is legally entangled in their employment rights and therefore their redundancy entitlement is different - but still a legally bound entitlement. Changes to those on AFPS 75 redundancy terms were sneeked through in March - those on AFPS 05 signed up to them either wittingly or unwittingly anyway.

If I remember correctly under AFPS 75 - and I can't find anything written down which is current: in addition to the redundancy payment if you served more than 18 of your 22 you are entitled to an immediate pension as well as your gratuity, resettlement grant and can commute a ratio of your pension as if you had served 22 years. Less than 18 but more than 12 is a preserved pension, resettlement grant and redundancy payment, I doubt those with less than 12 would be offered redundancy but in the past they were given a redundancy payment plus resettlement grant.

If you were to be made redundant in your last couple of years and lose your entitlement to your IP then that would equate to a financial loss of around £80k - £100k for most senior rates and a bloody huge court case no doubt with lawyers queuing up to challenge the legal position of every pension/ redundancy related decision made by government since the last king died as well as comparisons draw in the press to Equitable Life, Maxwell et al. It stands to reason that any new redundancy package is likely to be similar to those in the past with the exception of the actual redundancy payment the rules for which you all seem aware (6 months pay for anyone who is their last 2-3 years, 3 months for anyone in their last 1-2 years) as opposed to the previous 18 months - which civil servants still hold.

If you all get ripped off I am prepared to join you in your protest through London, I enjoy a good day out.

6. Re: Armed Forces Redundancy Package.

For those serving on commitments which (had they run their full course) would have ended after the minimum service required to qualify for an IP (16 years from age 21 for Officers; 22 years from age 18 for Other Ranks), either:

o a tax-free SCP of 1½ months’ pay for each year of redundancy reckonable service is payable to those whose service is terminated before the point when they would qualify for early payment of an IP, or
    o for those who qualify for early payment of an IP, a tax-free SCP of up to 9 months’ pay based on the uncompleted portion of their commission or engagement. The maximum SCP of 9 months’ pay will apply to those with three years or more of uncompleted service. For those whose uncompleted portion is less than three years, the sum reduces

7. Re: Armed Forces Redundancy Package.

Those serving on commitments which (had they run their full course) would not have provided sufficient service to qualify for an IP (16 years from age 21 for Officers; 22 years from age 18 for Other Ranks) will receive a tax-free SCP calculated as either 1½ months’ pay for each year of completed RSS, or 1½ months’ pay for each year3 by which redundancy has shortened the commitment for further service, plus 1½ months’ pay – whichever is the less.

8. Re: Armed Forces Redundancy Package.

Reading the DINS I am glad to see that being past the 18 year point at least I would get an immediate pension. The payments aren't exactly going to get anyone volunteering who is past the 18 year point I would say. Not too bad a payout for those who were looking to leave midway once past the resettlement grant period of 12 years. I expect 12 to 15 years done will be where most volunteers come from. Does anyone know how the redundancy package affects anyone who changed to the new pension and doesnt meet the Early depature point criteria (18 years done plus 40 years of age minimum).

9. Re: Armed Forces Redundancy Package.

2SL said yesterday that the branches/ranks in the firing line would be decided by January yet the DIN reckons 6 months from now. Anyone got any info??

10. Re: Armed Forces Redundancy Package.

Has anyone read the DIN's and worked out what a person with less than 12 years served will get as a redundancy package? Also reading those DIN's Im so glad Im not on the new pension scheme.

11. Re: Armed Forces Redundancy Package.

my head hurts

ive done 20 years got 12 to do. scale b cpoaea.

will i get redundancy and if so will i get enough to keep me in whores, whisky and cbeebies

12. Re: Armed Forces Redundancy Package.

Well get you finger out of your arse and get your board done!!! :D

13. Re: Armed Forces Redundancy Package.

it was my ambition to do 23 years as a scale b cpoaea. did that wind my DO up - you bet it did / does.

14. Re: Armed Forces Redundancy Package.

Just got to admire these high flyers, eh :wink:

15. Re: Armed Forces Redundancy Package.

BOOTWU - its not all about moving up - what about job enjoyment - ive seen a lot of FAA SMR's burn out for a couple of quid extra and a fancy cap badge. i am happy being on the shop floor as well as squadron middle management.

ps does help that wifey is feckin loaded and do this for the love of it

16. Re: Armed Forces Redundancy Package.

Shag did you want the DIN in a PM as I can't post it on here..

17. Re: Armed Forces Redundancy Package.

yes please

18. Re: Armed Forces Redundancy Package.

Shag I have two here one for the AFPS 75 and AFPS 05 which one are you on?