Redundancy Announcements - Main Thread

MG Maniac

War Hero
Cheers for that.

My other question is:If you are given compulsory redundancy in Civvy St they cant offer your job to anyone else in the following six months as they have to give you first dibs, so how is Pusser/MOD getting round this ??
Please dont start telling me to look at rules and regs, just give it to me in laymans terms please

You are correct that if anyone in Civvy Street is made redundant then they can't offer the job to anyone else for 6 months ... the easy way round this is to re-write the job description (normally ata lower banding / paygrade and then advertise it as a new post! Simples!

Polto

War Hero
Cheers for that.

My other question is:If you are given compulsory redundancy in Civvy St they cant offer your job to anyone else in the following six months as they have to give you first dibs, so how is Pusser/MOD getting round this ??
Please dont start telling me to look at rules and regs, just give it to me in laymans terms please

You are correct that if anyone in Civvy Street is made redundant then they can't offer the job to anyone else for 6 months ... the easy way round this is to re-write the job description (normally ata lower banding / paygrade and then advertise it as a new post! Simples!

I dont think they 'are getting round this' as such. The armed forces are reducing in size. The way they are doing this is by making people redundant so that in effect the position they hold is 'end dated'...it closes - the position is not being refilled. People that are remaining in will always be 'replaced' as it were on a rotational basis or through the usual process of natural wastage and recruitment.

edited to add: The MOD doesn't have to follow every single aspect of civilian law with regard to employment, the reasons for this should not require further explanation. The MOD does, in most cases, try to follow the law of the land as it were but there have to be exceptions here and there given the nature of the job.

Last edited:

MG Maniac

War Hero
I dont think they 'are getting round this' as such. The armed forces are reducing in size. The way they are doing this is by making people redundant so that in effect the position they hold is 'end dated'...it closes - the position is not being refilled. People that are remaining in will always be 'replaced' as it were on a rotational basis or through the usual process of natural wastage and recruitment.

edited to add: The MOD doesn't have to follow every single aspect of civilian law with regard to employment, the reasons for this should not require further explanation. The MOD does, in most cases, try to follow the law of the land as it were but there have to be exceptions here and there given the nature of the job.

Agreed ... although would have thought that they could downgrade a post from CPO to PO to LH etc and then fill the vacant billet from the available manpower pool at the lower rate. At the end of the day it means there will be less personal to cover the same workload.

Polto

War Hero
Agreed ... although would have thought that they could downgrade a post from CPO to PO to LH etc and then fill the vacant billet from the available manpower pool at the lower rate. At the end of the day it means there will be less personal to cover the same workload.

You've missed the point slightly. The billet can't be downgraded if it's being closed. The job no longer exists. Your last statement is however correct, probably...there will indeed be less people to do the same/similar amount of work. There are of course some billets that are being rescheduled/replanned/assessed whatever with a view to using personnel of a lower rate/rank to occupy them instead of the higher rate/rank. So both methods are probably being applied as we speak...