Redundancy Announcements - Main Thread

silverfox

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Perhaps it's a case of, "Things are really going to rat shit, I might be pushed so I might as well jump and get some ackers in the process". Some people like to feel they have some say in their own destiny, you plank. It's a human trait, certainly it's a matelot's trait, to show you don't give a shit, especially if you do. Of course, only adults would know that.

Perhaps? I would bet that that is exactly the motivation behind the volunteers and why mine were so very happy - '"Cheers Easy" would sum it up nicely.

What adults really know is that there is no need to state the obvious every time. However, in order to aid the cerebally challenged I shall be more fulsome in future. Thank you for your assistance.

Perhaps? I would bet that that is exactly the motivation behind the volunteers and why mine were so very happy - '"Cheers Easy" would sum it up nicely.

What adults really know is that there is no need to state the obvious every time. However, in order to aid the cerebally challenged I shall be more fulsome in future. Thank you for your assistance.
Hmm, status confirmed. :)

Oh, and don't mention it. :thumright:

Last edited:
There is an appeals proces for personnel selected for redundancy, he needs to speak to his DO about it, they should have the correct DIN and details of how to appeal.

Cheers for that.

My other question is:If you are given compulsory redundancy in Civvy St they cant offer your job to anyone else in the following six months as they have to give you first dibs, so how is Pusser/MOD getting round this ??
Please dont start telling me to look at rules and regs, just give it to me in laymans terms please

And another Question: Could he apply for a Branch change to get out of Redundancy ?? I see they are short of WAFU's (But we have no carriers ?? )

Last edited:

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
MOD are not offering "your" job to somebody else - the personnel who will fill the manning gap will already be in the Service; the new recruits are just filling from the bottom of the pile (so to speak) so will not be "taking" anybody's job. Some critics might think it would be easier to just stop recruiting for a while but the Forces tried that in the '90s and the plan backfired considerably, resulting in significant gaps in the promotion chain years later, so we have to maintain the equilibrium.

Let's not forget; a significant number of those made redundant volunteered for it. Those that have been given compulsory redundancy - including a large number of Civil Servants - are in an unfortunate position but the MOD has to make savings where it can. Not great, but better than the alternative suggestions...

howfen_lad

War Hero
My other question is:If you are given compulsory redundancy in Civvy St they cant offer your job to anyone else in the following six months as they have to give you first dibs, so how is Pusser/MOD getting round this ?

Great question.

Sorry to hear about your lad BTW.

MOD are not offering "your" job to somebody else - the personnel who will fill the manning gap will already be in the Service; the new recruits are just filling from the bottom of the pile (so to speak) so will not be "taking" anybody's job. Some critics might think it would be easier to just stop recruiting for a while but the Forces tried that in the '90s and the plan backfired considerably, resulting in significant gaps in the promotion chain years later, so we have to maintain the equilibrium.

Let's not forget; a significant number of those made redundant volunteered for it. Those that have been given compulsory redundancy - including a large number of Civil Servants - are in an unfortunate position but the MOD has to make savings where it can. Not great, but better than the alternative suggestions...

I appreciate what you are saying there,
My question again would be that they are still recruiting ET(WE)'s (which he is) so in a long chain of events they are giving his job to someone else ? As the person who moves up the chain to replace him on the ship has to be replaced by a new recruit to take his place ??

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
I think you're being a bit facetious - you admit yourself that it is "a long chain of events" from someone joining up, being trained and then joining their first ship. Everyone gets replaced by somebody, eventually. How often and how quickly depends on each person's circumstances - it could be months or years. You cannot career map one individual from recruitment to first appointment; where they get posted depends on their branch, their RT scores, their passmarks in Part I-III exams and their own assignment preferences. It cannot be assumed that person 1 will replace person 2 on board HMS Nonsuch in 3 years' time. He is as likely to go to wherever Pusser decides to send him, whether it be a ship, an establishment or overseas (depending on the Service requirements at the time).

I understand why you're a little bitter about the redundancy news but the Armed Forces is an organic beast; it needs to rotate personnel for a variety of reasons too boring to discuss here. Whether your lad is able to submit an appeal against the decision remains to be seen, but whatever happens, I hope it works out.

I think you're being a bit facetious - you admit yourself that it is "a long chain of events" from someone joining up, being trained and then joining their first ship. Everyone gets replaced by somebody, eventually. How often and how quickly depends on each person's circumstances - it could be months or years. You cannot career map one individual from recruitment to first appointment; where they get posted depends on their branch, their RT scores, their passmarks in Part I-III exams and their own assignment preferences. It cannot be assumed that person 1 will replace person 2 on board HMS Nonsuch in 3 years' time. He is as likely to go to wherever Pusser decides to send him, whether it be a ship, an establishment or overseas (depending on the Service requirements at the time).

I understand why you're a little bitter about the redundancy news but the Armed Forces is an organic beast; it needs to rotate personnel for a variety of reasons too boring to discuss here. Whether your lad is able to submit an appeal against the decision remains to be seen, but whatever happens, I hope it works out.

No Im not bitter at all, just interested how it would look legally, you are right and Im not disputing the fact and i appreciate your taking the time to answer my questions.

So could he apply for a Branch change at all to get out of Redundancy and can he reapply to join the Mob once he has left ?

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
I doubt it - Career Managers would already be wise to these sort of tactics so would have contingency plans in place, presumably; it is highly unlikely that he would obtain manning clearance before his redundancy is due to start (given that he will be landed Shore to conduct Resettlement Training).

As for re-applying in another branch once he has left, then someone like Ninja_Stoker is better qualified to give that advice.

I doubt it - Career Managers would already be wise to these sort of tactics so would have contingency plans in place, presumably; it is highly unlikely that he would obtain manning clearance before his redundancy is due to start (given that he will be landed Shore to conduct Resettlement Training).

As for re-applying in another branch once he has left, then someone like Ninja_Stoker is better qualified to give that advice.

Cheers mucker

Changing jobs will not work as he needs to get manning clearance and they won't give it if he's getting made redundant. Yes he can potentially reapply to join, but again we have to seek approval from the manning desk of his branch (if rejoining his old branch) or CNR for approval to process and to be honest we are not getting many yes responses on rejoiners from the RN or other services at he moment. I think this is partly due to the fact that if someone new joins we get 18/24 years service out of them. if they've had previous service we have to take that off their time to serve, but still pay the same amount to train them.

These are only my thoughts not the thoughts of CNR or his staff.

SM

G

guestm

Originally Posted by mikehunt
"Tough shit, welcome to the real world. It's a shit sandwich and we all have to take a bite."

WTF?! You're laying claim to that? How old are you? It's older than me and I'm a pensioner.

Erm, no I wasn't claiming I invented it.