Red painted Lynx - 1990

Keyboard

I'm planning ahead for a model build of Lynx XZ230, on the day it was painted red and flown from HMS Cardiff, on Christmas Day 1990.

So far, I've only been able to locate one photograph of the cab in this scheme, in the excellent book "The Royal Navy Lynx - an Operational History". Can anyone point me in the direction of any other available photographs please?

Keyboard

I don't recall that one. I do remember the helos carried by ice patrol ships being at least partially red.
This particular one was completely red, with MERRY XMAS painted on the sides, and RUDOLPH on the front of the nose. Apparently it was painted on board HMS Cardiff on Christmas Eve, and flown on Christmas Day, before being returned to normal by having a wash.

Waspie

War Hero
I'm planning ahead for a model build of Lynx XZ230, on the day it was painted red and flown from HMS Cardiff, on Christmas Day 1990.

So far, I've only been able to locate one photograph of the cab in this scheme, in the excellent book "The Royal Navy Lynx - an Operational History". Can anyone point me in the direction of any other available photographs please?
Have you tried FB. Many groups, Wafu, Lynx, Sqdn's, ships. Someone on there 'must' have a pic. Something that unique would have been snapped by someone!!

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Have you tried the Cardiff / T42 pages on Face Ache?

Edited to add, just looked and found 'HMS Cardiff, D108' with a load of members.

Latest Threads