Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

red arrows- too british?!

onions

GCM
Sgt P. They were the "Patrouille Acrobatique de France and they were flying Alpha Jets.

Crabman. Love that picture of the Vulcan. It used to be a regular visitor to HMS Daedalus airdays. It flew that low over our house, that my spaniel used to leap into the air trying to catch it! My wife wears a pin badge of her favourite aircraft.

Semper Strenuissima

And there's me thinking it was to confuse the Ruskie bofors gunners:

Ivan: "was that a big piece of V shaped earth that just flew past comrade?"

Igor "Njet, it was those crazy crabs trying to confuse us"

geoffg

Lantern Swinger
ditdahditdah said:
I have just been on the petition website. The petition has been closed as the allegation is false.

It let me sign it yesterday and sent me a confirmation email.

Hopefully it'll be a different government then anyway. And Brown will be history :pukel:
geoff(ers) :nemo:

onions said:
Sgt P. They were the "Patrouille Acrobatique de France and they were flying Alpha Jets.

Crabman. Love that picture of the Vulcan. It used to be a regular visitor to HMS Daedalus airdays. It flew that low over our house, that my spaniel used to leap into the air trying to catch it! My wife wears a pin badge of her favourite aircraft.

Semper Strenuissima

Very ambitious spaniel! Probably got big b*lls as well?
The real question thought is, what would he have done with it had he caught it, bury it in the garden? :w00t:

skyvet

GCM
ditdahditdah said:
I have just been on the petition website. The petition has been closed as the allegation is false.

It must have been an excellent wind-up then, as I was listening to a radio station phone-in on this subject only the other day! 99.9% of callers were as gobsmacked at the proposal as me.

War Hero
ditdahditdah said:

I'm not going to try signing it, because I think it's ill informed bollox, but it doesn't appear to have been closed. It does OTOH have a response from the Govt in advance of the closing date.

War Hero
skyvet said:
ditdahditdah said:

It must have been an excellent wind-up then, as I was listening to a radio station phone-in on this subject only the other day! 99.9% of callers were as gobsmacked at the proposal as me.

99.9% of people with no first hand knowledge of the topic and were prepared to spend time airing their view on the radio didn't know what they were burbling about ;)

Radio 4 any answers was it?

:D

ditdahditdah

Badgeman
I read this on the website "Government Response, 27 September 2007, while petition was still open" and assumed the petition was closed. Never assume as it makes an ass etc!!!

Apologies if I misled anyone :oops:

NotmeChief

Banned
I sent an email to the government department questioning them about this and posted that email on here, but it seems to have disappeared.

Anyway came home from work this evening to find a response:

Thank you for your recent e-mail about the celebrations at the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games. I have been asked to reply.
As government we would like to inform you that there is absolutely no truth to newspaper claims that the Government or the Organising Committee has banned or advised against the Red Arrows’ involvement in the Opening Ceremony or any other celebrations associated with the 2012 Games.
The London Organising Committee of the Olympic Games and Paralympic Games (LOCOG), are responsible for deciding what to include in the Opening Ceremony and other celebrations.
With almost five years to go, decisions are yet to be made about what these celebrations will look like. Our main effort at the moment is to finalise plans for the handover of the Olympic Flag from Beijing to London at the end of the Closing Ceremony of the Beijing Olympic Games.
Neither the Government nor LOCOG has any objection whatsoever to the involvement of the Red Arrows. Indeed, the Red Arrows have already played a memorable role in our celebrations, when they flew over Trafalgar Square to mark our winning bid in July 2005. They were also involved in a fly past to celebrate the Athens Torch Relay coming to London in June 2004.
We hope that this information is helpful in correcting this inaccurate story.

Why would ANY newspaper put up an entirely fictional article like that when it's not even 'all fools day'?

I never believed much from the sun anyway, I don't think I will even bother to look at page 3 anymore as that is probably a kai tai.

Anyway the truth is now official.

War Hero
NotmeChief said:
Why would ANY newspaper put up an entirely fictional article like that when it's not even 'all fools day'?

It's worth reading Andrew Marr on the subject of journos, the book is called My Trade. He identifies fabrication of stories as endemic in the industry, and highlights one case which actually crossed newspapers, and continents, including interviews with entirely fictional people.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Red Arrows to stay in Lincolnshire following RAF Scampton closure MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Vancouver Marks Final Canadian Stop on Red Arrows Tour MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Red Arrows set to soar across Canada MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Red Arrows' North American Display list revealed MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Date announced for Red Arrows American tour MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: MOD confirms the death of Corporal Jonathan Bayliss, Royal Air Force Aerobatic Team (The Red Arrows) MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: The Red Arrows are back to Kuwait MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: World renowned RAF Red Arrows to tour Middle East MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Red Arrows return to UK after historic tour MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: 'Red Arrows is a striking symbol of the UK-India collaboration' MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Red Arrows to promote prosperity with major Asia tour MoD News 0
trelawney126 Red Arrows to be Based in Dhelii Diamond Lil's 11
Topstop Red Arrows Accident Current Affairs 60
trelawney126 Red Arrows wreckage on E-Bay Current Affairs 1
wet_blobby Red arrows accident Current Affairs 71
C red arrows The Quarterdeck 14
soleil Pompey News "Red Arrows to mark Ark Royal's return to Fleet" The Fleet 1
soleil Red Arrows - H4H Bike Ride w/Ross Kemp - May 24th - Pompey Charity 6
Grim_Reaper Red Arrows banned from Olympic flypast. The Gash Barge 3
scouse RED ARROWS the Gov wont let them fly The Gash Barge 7
The_PO_Stoker Red Arrows to be banned from London Olympics Petitions 9
babystew red arrows banned from 2012 olympics The Gash Barge 3
MoD_RSS In praise of red tape: getting regulation right MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government to cut red tape for farmers as they plan for 2021 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Benefits fraudsters are shown the red light by government scheme MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 30-year anniversary of landmark release of red kites in the Chiltern Hills MoD News 0
MoD_RSS MAIB to carry out investigations on behalf of Red Ensign Group Cat 1 registries MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Red Falcon and Greylag report published MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK's iconic first red public telephone box listed MoD News 0
MoD_RSS FC Red Bull Salzburg (AUT) v Liverpool FC (ENG) travel advice MoD News 0
R 'The Red Sailor' (Patrick O'Hara) Diamond Lil's 24
MoD_RSS Travel advice: Red Star v Tottenham Hotspur MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Housing Minister announces boost for families and high streets as planning red tape is axed MoD News 0
K Red painted Lynx - 1990 The Fleet Air Arm 8
MoD_RSS News story: Red Falcon and Phoenix report published MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Red X warning for North West’s motorway drivers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Red Nose Day marks 10 years of UK aid and Comic Relief partnership MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Young people most at risk in a flood, warns Environment Agency & British Red Cross MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Marsquakes’ mission successfully lands on Red Planet MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Proposals unveiled to cut red tape for divers retrieving marine litter MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Scottish Poppy Appeal’s ‘Light up Red’ campaign comes to Dover House MoD News 0
SONAR-BENDER The Red Sailor The Book Club 37
D Red Plum gone ... The Fleet 17
BARNEYRNSM Red rip out form Submariners 14
DemobJob PCV Drivers Required - Red Bus - High Wycombe The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
slim Who Wants their own copy of Patrick O'brians Red Sailor? The Book Club 16
BillyNoMates Roses are Red. The Gash Barge 42
A New ebook: The Red Baron:WW1 German Flying Ace. 100th WW1 Anniversary Edition. The Book Club 10
taffscrivs Little red riding hood Miscellaneous 0
soleil Navy News: "Red Feather Day For HMS Montrose" The Fleet 1