Red Arrows Accident

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Topstop, Nov 8, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Wouldn't be the first person to accidentally fire an ejector seat on the ground ... several stories going around of one such happening in the hanger on the Eagle etc so really could have been any fast jet squadron it happened on and unlucky it was the Arrows after they have been in the news re the last fatality.

Sky news was reporting person had been airlifted to hospital so presume whoever is not in a good way.

2. Ejection seat accidents will continue no matter who operate them, (RAF/RN).

What made me chuckle reading the BBC article was the comment Lincolnshire Police will be investigating the incident.

A question - what do the police know about ejection seats. Do they seriously think it was used as a weapon against the person injured!!!!:joker:

3. Would have thought that HSE and/or Air Accident Investigation Branch would be more in line for a mention. Doubt if plod would know what a Martin Baker was if it hit them in the arse (on the way up!).

• Like Like x 1
  4. All done in here oppo btw Hms Victorious, is the Carrier you are looking for A/C a Sea Vixen !!!!!! http://www.navy-net.co.uk/fleet-air-arm/42378-ejection-seat-stories.html

5. Sadly the MoD have just confirmed that the incident involving one of the RAF Aerobatic Team Hawk aircraft at RAF Scampton has resulted in the death of the pilot.

Sad news. :cry:

SP.

6. Sad news indeed.

Let's hope the old thing of accidents in three's isn't working for them!

7. Tragic news.

RIP

Condolances to family, friends and Squadron.

8. R.I.P sad day indeed, so soon after "Eggman's" memorial service at Lincoln cathedral last week.

9. RIP, I do feel for the Reds, a shocker of a year.

10. I think civilian plod are expected to investigate all unexpected or suspicious deaths.It is true they know very little about ejector seats but I believe they are empowered to ask people who do know.

11. Bloody shame - thoughts are with his family.

12. Bit of a tongue in cheek comment ref plod. Now in the event of it becoming a fatality I suspect that the AIB will investigate and pass the findings onto the police.

By the look of the tv footage the canopy was shut when the seat left the aircraft so the seat would have been 'live' ie no safety sears in place.

Every one, especially the family must be devastated.

RIP to another Red Arrow.

Let only hope it is the last.

13. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Mod note

One deletion, a BR worth of technical info on ejector seats.

Those with inside knowledge, be it procedural or technical should be selective in what they post, or don't. Although the media are more likely to be scanning more Crabcentric sites for rentaquotes the incident is under investigation and so RR long standing rules apply.

14. The accident is now added to the Red Arrows page on Ejection History, along with all other types!!! for history and posterity...Tuesday 8th November 2011
    11:00
    [​IMG]
    RAF
    Hawk T.1 [SIZE=+1][​IMG]
    Red Arrows
    RAF Scampton
    [/SIZE]
    Lincolnshire
    Pilot ejected from one of the jets while on the ground and his parachute did not deploy. Pilot
    ejected at ground level
    died of injuries
    Martin-Baker Mk.10

15. Very sad indeed - a tragic loss of life and another heavy blow to the Red Arrows - thoughts with family and squadron
    RIP

16. I stand corrected. Seem to remember when doing AeroMed course back in the dark ages that the saga was trotted out and couldn't remember the carrier involved. Thank you.

17. Might have been the one?? about HMS Eagle 800 SQDN Buccaneer when Markley/Chase ejected and rescued by the SAR and were back in the sickbay whilst the A/C was still flying overhead !!!!!!

18. Nah ... this one was definitely in the hanger and I see to remember that it was ground crew leaning over to do something without putting the pins in. Always assumed it was a Gen one as we were going through old accident reports (late 60's early 70's) as part of the course.

19. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

The Red Arrows official page goes almost as far but also says (my bold)

So no speculation about who why what ladies and gents.

(Chockheads = gents; surely some mistake).