Red arrows accident

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by wet_blobby, Aug 20, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

2. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

A friends down there and just texted, the a/c appears to have stoofed in near a small village. No more details. Only a few miles away and nothing on local radio yet. Hope the pilot got out.
  3. Oh dear, that's dreadful.
  4. If rumours on PPRUNE are accurate it is not looking good.

Fingers crossed that the pilot is ok.

5. Sources are probably going to confirm those rumours, if my info is correct as of 15:45 g.m.t.
  6. Hope the Pilot Banged out in time..... thoughts are with you wings
  7. Last edited: Aug 20, 2011
  8. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Terrible news, RIP.
  9. Tragic...........I was there this afternoon, watching from Boscombe cliff tops, with hundreds of others. Such an impressive show, but it all seems so trivial now, compared with the death of a young man. RIP wings, condolences to his family.
  10. Magda

Magda War Hero Book Reviewer

Shocking accident, RIP Flt Lt Egging. Thoughts are with his friends and family.

View attachment 1420

Taken at this year's RAF Waddington Airshow. Proof of why they are considered the best of the best.

(Reminds me, I was at Waddington International Airshow a few weeks ago and spoke to a Typhoon pilot who told me that one of Team Viper's Hunter pilots had a near miss. The pilot felt vibrations during the performance, landed, taxied off the runway and - his engine cut out completely. Unsurprisingly, he didn't fly the next day.

How easily it could have been him. The best laid schemes of mice and men go oft awry, unfortunately)

Edited to add image. Cracking photo below, Apple Catchers.
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  11. Apple_Catchers

That is a superb photo.
  12. RIP, such a tragedy!
  13. RIP , Brings back a memory flash -- the Blue Eagles helicopter display 1969 at Christchurch, when two collided -- huge crowd, for an instant all went quiet.
  14. RIP to an airman who dedicated his career to make many people happy. The Red Arrows are very much part of what makes Britain great.

The place of the incident is very close to a very large shopping centre, (Castle Point,) it could have been very different but for his professionalism.
  15. Apple catchers photo makes a symbolic epitaph.........I have footage in my camcorder from this afternoon's display..... it's going to be a while before I get round to editing it...... if I ever do !
  16. Gutted ....this is terrible news!!! Was sat on an airplane at bristol airport last Sunday watching the red arrows landing on the runway just feet away from us. R.I.P to a great pilot, national icon and no doubt a great man.
  17. Apparently he stayed in the aircraft instead of ejecting to stop it crashing into a populated area.

An inspiration and a hero, RIP.
  18. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

More here: Ministry of Defence | Defence News | Royal Air Force | MOD Confirms the death of Flt Lt Jon Egging Royal Air Force Aerobatics Team (The Red Arrows)
  19. RIP Sir. thoughts for the guys family.