Recycled Speeches.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by trelawney126, Oct 25, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. How sad that our current batch of politicians have to borrow other peoples speeches in the House. After some pretty good speeches in the past like "Sword of Damocules" which was used by an MP who had probably heard J.F Kennedy use it in his speech to the Congress, we now have Mr Cameron borrowing the "Neighbours House on Fire" which Teddy Rosevelt used circa WW2.
    Have we no up and coming wits left in the House or are they all self serving, uneducated, dim wits without a single synapse between them.
  2. I have a dream that no man shall be an island and while this may not be the end, or even the beginning of the end it is without doubt the end of the beginning of such plagiarism. Join me as we fight them on the beaches and storm once more into the breach dear friends for we few, we precious few deserve much much more; indeed I would like to have fries with mine.
    • Like Like x 9
  3. .

However, most of these speeches were already "borrowed" as they were NOT written by the speech maker but by a speech writer (Rooseveldt's certainly was).

It is merely a merry-go-round of using other peoples' words.

4. One may argue they are showing intellect by paraphrasing the words of great men.

Politicans' words are pretty empty anyway and their meaning seems to change with the wind.

Cynical, moi?
  5. You'll be telling us next that politicians are actors merely reading a script
  6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Not sure if it's a recycled speech, but I rather liked Noel Gallaghers sardonic acceptance speech at the Q Magazine awards when he won the "iconic musician" award: "I've had a lot of these awards over the years, but this? Well this is the most recent".
    • Like Like x 1
  7. I was under the impression that they all had their speech's written for them by professional speech writers anyway.:evil3: