Recurrent back pain

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by gb84, May 10, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Do many people pass their first medical and get denied entry at Raleigh? I visited my gp 3 years ago with back pain, he couldn't find a problem and an x-ray showed up nothing. I do get back ache when i'm doing physical labour but it doesn't stop me from working.

2. X-rays are reqested by GPs all the time for back pain - completely un-necessary. The only thing they show up is bones and unless you have had significant trauma they will be normal. There are few other plain x-rays which use more radiation than a lumbar spine x-ray. I'd refuse to have one if I was offered it.

Back pain is a dodgy one. Service life puts significant strain on your back, and if it's not 100% before you start then it's sort of asking for it. If you've had more than one episode then things may be awkward - the AFCO ME will do a careful assessment but it sounds like your back causes a bit of bother and you may run into difficulties.

Sorry.

3. Thanks for your wise words, i have already passed the first medical. I'll just have to wait and see what happens when I get to Raleigh.

4. Did you mention the back pain?

5. Yes he seemed concerned but he still passed me.