Recruitnent test

Discussion in 'RFA' started by C.Morgan, May 14, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello all.

I was just curious if anyone has any pointers on studying for the recruitment test ? If there are any books or websites that I can get info on would help. I've got a copy of the mock test booklet and I've been revising my maths but any other tips would be great.

Thank you.
    Best Regards.
    C.Morgan

2. I worked through the mock test booklet before sitting my RT and I found the test pretty tough. The RT is much harder than the booklet they send you out. There are many websites out there that have practice RT-type questions, try a search on google and see what comes up.

3. Hello, yes do any phycmetric test you can get your hands on, time yourself all the time add you only have at the least 15 seconds per question, go to the library get anything on these test, definitely phychometric tests for dummies. It is a bit like the booklet they sent but harder and faster. Time is everything. Get a stop watch and time yourself get use to the rush, anything else shout x

Sent from my GT-I9060 using Navy Net - Rum Ration mobile app

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The practice test booklet questions are actually taken from the three recruiting tests, with only changed values. In other words, it is identical.

Most people claim the real test is far harder & the reason is simply that sitting at home, half watching the telly with a can of Tennents Extra whilst patting the dog and casually perusing the test booklet is far removed from the test itself. If you follow the instructions to the letter and practice psychometric test questions against the clock, as advised, you'll find it easier.

Whenever someone spins me a line of bull regarding the practice test booklet, after failing the test, I put the booklet in front of them and read the questions out at the correct pace. They usually get most of the answers wrong.

The real test involves 120 questions in 44 minutes. If you don't practice against the clock, as advised, you are in for a nasty surprise.

• Like Like x 1
  5. The problem with the test booklet is once you have done it once you can practically remember the answers so it's not testing after a while so library and Internet and keep working at it, if you haven't done maths for a while a good maths gcse book and keep cramming x Ninja S now we know why your advice is so good and how you practice so hard so if all else fails take heed, tv, tinny, pat dog ;)

6. Jesus I already feel sick haha.

7. Time yourself when revising so you get used to confidently working things out quickly- time is the biggest challenge! On the test if there are any you are unsure of then skip them (or guess) and then go back at the end if there is time. There's a fair few threads on here with handy advice on if you have a search. i found brain training on the ds handy for becoming more speedy and the bbc bitesize revision websites as well. If you google psychometric tests theres plenty to try.

Good luck :)

8. So getting a hold of the book "psychometric tests for dummies" would be a step in the right direction?

9. It sounds really daunting but you should have about a month until the test to get this, as long as you are determined you will and can do this, if I can anyone can! In my test I worked hard but was still 5 questions short so as soon as they say '1 minute to go' which is like a flash of time I just marked anyone so don't miss any questions is vital points even if you guess, but that info is for nearer the time but for now, phycometric tests for dummies is a good place to start and the library has loads of test books, even if they are not seaming relevant is a practice test that's all you need, timed practice. You would not have applied if you didn't think you could do this, it's daunting at first but going over this over the next few weeks you'll find you get use to it very quickly. What do you want to be? x

10. I sat the recruit test around 3 weeks ago. I hunted through threads like this and I would strongly advise taking on board some of the advice given above! I revised for the test, I knew it wasn't going to be a walk in the park. The questions themselves are not that difficult but the time restraints are the major issue. If you get stuck on a question don't panic, move on (however if need be, take a guess, for god sake don't leave it blank!). I revised a lot of mental arithmetic and questions similar to the 'pick the sentence which is different than the others', they ate a lot of my time during the test.

Prepare well, personally I just hunted through Google for practice tests, many of which I found links to on this site. Keep a cool head, don't panic and stay focused. Best of luck!!

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

11. Thanks everyone. The only thing that worries me is the math . In the practice booklet I more or less nailed everything with exception for a few of the verbal stuff that you need to choose the right sentence.The one question where I was like "ha i know this i know this!" is the question about bicycle gears........guess building your'e own bike pay's of in more than one way haha. When it comes to math though I just go blank and begin to taste defeat haha. Ive had a look on the internet for some supplements that are suppose to help focus and retaining information.........snake oil me thinks.

Honestly though thanks for the help. Boosts the confidence.

Best regards.
    C.Morgan.

12. Any chance you could help me out with some links for practice tests?

Best regards.
    C.Morgan.

13. Don't forget/overlook the English part of the RT - make sure you're working on your vocabulary and all round knowledge

14. Oh of course I need to brush up on all my skills! If you have any sources of information that you beleive would help me please by all means let me know. God knows I need all the help I can get haha.

Best Regards.
    C.Morgan

15. Which branch are you applying for Morgan?

16. My choice was either steward or deck rating. But after a bit of consideration I feel like I would be best suited as a deck rating due my working history. Why? What are you going for?

Best regards.
    C.Morgan.

17. No reason, I was just curious. I did my recruit test about 11 months ago and without a doubt the most challenging part is the time constraints. None of it is particularly hard (or at least I didn't think so). The maths is easy maths, addition, subtraction, multiplication etc You just need to be quick. You do have the facility to be able to write down calculations as well. You don't have to do it all in your head. Speed and accuracy is the key to passing the test. It's challenging but definitely doable. Good luck.

18. Thanks. Yea it seems like the time constraints is the killer.

Best regards.
    C.Morgan.

19. Do you reckon you could pass the test at officer level yet?

20. I bought a book on psychometric testing and did that for an hour every night. Make sure you time yourself!