Recruitment

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by amazonian, Jan 12, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey guys

Like everyone I have read the unfortunate news that the government plans to reduce the RN's ships by almost half and has also put a freeze on promotion for some jobs/ranks. So I wanted to ask if the Royal Navy is still recruiting, and if it is, how much of a problem is the promotion freeze for someone joining up in the near future?

ZT

2. I think the RN learnt the lesson 11-12 years ago that if you stop recruiting you end up with a shortgae of people in a particular age range for a while.
    I don't think the RN are going to mothball half the fleet. Scare stories put around on a slow news day.
    Dunno about promotions though, there have been rumours for a while that in the newxt few promotion rounds numbers are going to be down on recent years. It'll sort itself out eventually.

3. scabz wrote: I don't think the RN are going to mothball half the fleet. Scare stories put around on a slow news day.

Serious question scabz: What do you base these comments on? I ask only because all I'm getting are rumours too and have no direct connection with the reality that is back home.

I also heard that Blair said on the news that Portsmouth wouldn't shut after all, but again, don't have the story so don't know whether this will mean that it will reduce to a Rosyth type operation rather than close, etc.

Anyone with information which is based on fact rather than rumour - please feel free to get in touch and tell me WTF is going on.

SF

4. I would base it on the comments of the 1SL who issued a signal to say it was not true.

5. If you believe the press/government, apart from being a bit of a mug cos they all lie, the promotion freeze is temporary and relates to Lt Cdr and above because for every 1 at sea there's 15 ashore pen pushing.

If you haven't joined yet, there's little chance of affecting you for a considerable period of time I would suggest.

Windy

6. Thank god for structured promotion dates!