Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recruitment

forever_a_subby

Midshipman
Flag Wagger wrote:

"As a consequence, while the recruitment process remains with the AFCO, the actual responsibility for "banging the drum" rests with the units and the recruitment teams are to be expanded (although, our is still headed up by a wet-behind-the-ears subby!). There should be a contact within each unit who can give you all the necessary information including invitations to a recruitment evening; he/she may also be able to guide you through the admin maze of the AFCO."

Flag Wagger have you considered what the "wet behind the ear subby" does as a civilian career? If it is who I think you are talking about then he happens to work within the recruitment industry and have increased that units profile within the local population. Perhaps all our recruitment should be left to grizzled senior rates who constantly spout on about how when they joined, the RNR had ships etc? If you feel that strongly about it why don't you approach said "wet behind the ears subby" and offer your services for their new recruiting team?

A good Recruiting Officer should provide the sort of one stop shop that you are talking about. They know about the admin process at the AFCO and can (and frequently do) guide people through the form filling, tests and interviews. What units really need is for their own people to be sreading how good the RNR is by word of mouth.

If you look at the age profile that the RNR wants to attract it is poeple aged 18 - 30. These people don't want to talk to an "old crusty" (no offence to anyone over the age of 40) but someone of their own age that they can relate to. The Armed Forces are a very strange thing to them full of rules and regulations that they don't come across on a day to day basis. If they talk to someone close to their own age then they are more likely to believe what they are being told.

sparkerbuntingnowcis

Lantern Swinger
I would say that the main problem with RNR recruiting is the fact that there are so few units. If I lived in Hull for example as a lot of matelots do, it would be a round trip of over a hundred miles for a drill night. Do people really want that hassle after been at work all day, and the prospect of going to work the next day.

If the RNR wants more people it has to expand its units.

WarMonger

War Hero
I come back to a previous point...why doesnt the RNR have some TV coverage.......every other hour at the moment we see a slot for the TA..where is the RNR..an advert just to let people know we exist would be a start!!

If CommarRes wants recruiting to be top of the tree along with operational capability then I would suggest its time that CommMarRes needs to put its hand out next time they bump into 1SL and say can we have some money for proper recruitment campaign please...rather than taking the cheapo option of placing the responsibility at our door all the time!

FlagWagger

GCM
Book Reviewer
forever_a_subby said:
Perhaps all our recruitment should be left to grizzled senior rates who constantly spout on about how when they joined, the RNR had ships etc?

That is not what I said, nor implied, neither would it be useful. Yes, I'm a Senior Rate and yes when I joined the RNR had ships, but I have raised neither fact in any comment I have made on recruitment. In fact, in my opinion, if recruitment were left solely to such Senior Rates it wouldn't be any more effective than today. Recruitment is important, it needs people who can communicate enthusiasm about the RNR - give positive messages about why people should join, sell the RNR even. Senior rates have the experience of working at the coal face, they should have some modicum of leadership and communications skill and indeed initiative and common sense. While officers represent the RN "ruling class" many get hung up in not offending their superiors - quite often the senior rate school of tact and diplomacy can be much more effective!

forever_a_subby said:
A good Recruiting Officer should provide the sort of one stop shop that you are talking about. They know about the admin process at the AFCO and can (and frequently do) guide people through the form filling, tests and interviews. What units really need is for their own people to be sreading how good the RNR is by word of mouth.

Agreed.

forever_a_subby said:
If you look at the age profile that the RNR wants to attract it is poeple aged 18 - 30. These people don't want to talk to an "old crusty" (no offence to anyone over the age of 40) but someone of their own age that they can relate to. The Armed Forces are a very strange thing to them full of rules and regulations that they don't come across on a day to day basis. If they talk to someone close to their own age then they are more likely to believe what they are being told.

So because I'm over 40 I shouldn't be allowed to speak to people younger than me? While we're at it, why not ensure that female recruits only see women, and male recruits only see men, and perhaps we ought to extend it to people of the same ethnic background too! I'm sorry, communication skills are an important part of life - if today's youth can't deal with people of differing backgrounds and experience levels then we as a society have a problem. When I joined I was recruited by a CPO Wtr and CRS both of many years experience - the fact I was 23 and they were pushing 45 and 40 respectively didn't matter. They wore the uniform, they could give a more comprehensive introduction to the RNR than someone of my age ever could. We should stop this pandering and start respecting experience!

WarMonger

War Hero
forever_a_subby said:

I think I stand with you on this one FW what a load of tripe!!!

The reason I joined the RNR was not because of a smartly dressed recruiting bod blowing sunshine up my arse it was sat talking to JR's in the mess and SR's who had seen and done it and were wearing the T shirts..!!

mndc

Midshipman
We should stop this pandering and start respecting experience!

Here here! I may be only a silly young 20 yr old, but I would much rather listen to a chap in his 40's tell me about life in the RNR than a lad my own age who is not as experienced or indeed probably not as knowledgeable.
I don’t require someone to rap to me or discuss popular music with, A 40 something will do just fine!
As for being intimidated or confused by communicating with someone more than twice my age, does the RNR really want youngsters in its ranks who cannot hold a conversation with an adult? I doubt it

I was asked by a gentleman today why I addressed him as 'sir' when asking the time, I said because he was older and wiser than me and I was just being polite. He told me not to be 'so f**king stupid', so there u go?!?!!

Old_Hand

Lantern Swinger
mndc said:
We should stop this pandering and start respecting experience!

Here here! I may be only a silly young 20 yr old, but I would much rather listen to a chap in his 40's tell me about life in the RNR than a lad my own age who is not as experienced or indeed probably not as knowledgeable.
I don’t require someone to rap to me or discuss popular music with, A 40 something will do just fine!
As for being intimidated or confused by communicating with someone more than twice my age, does the RNR really want youngsters in its ranks who cannot hold a conversation with an adult? I doubt it

I was asked by a gentleman today why I addressed him as 'sir' when asking the time, I said because he was older and wiser than me and I was just being polite. He told me not to be 'so f**king stupid', so there u go?!?!!

Absolutely right. If you find yourself talking to a serving 40+ in the RNR the chances are that that person found something during his/her career to make them stay the course. That is the experiences that need to be passed on to the potential recruits and show them that a productive and enjoyable (most of the time) career can be obtained within the RNR.

bunnyjumper

Lantern Swinger
Well, I joined on the basis of an A5 advert in the local rag, and at the presentation evening it was a salty leading hands presentation that wet my whistle.

However, who the recruit speaks to when he comes through the door is irrelavent unless you can get the bloomin recruits through the door in the first place. :x

Warmonger is right when he says the RNR needs to put its hands in their collective pockets - perhaps use the wardroom cocktail party fund. :lol: . Sorry, flippant comment I know, but it's really frustrating when we're trying to recruit, especially when all the recruits that do come in our doors seem to be steered towards POC canditateship.

My answer - pay up for recruiting or stop banging on at us for not doing a good enough job!!

forever_a_subby

Midshipman
Have heard on the grapevine that a series of TV adverts are planned for the winter this year. Apparently the RNR is also moving towards joint adverts with the RN to save costs and boost profile. Looking at the MOD website the other day (work was just so much fun that day) the RN has set up an agreement whereby the Ensign can be used on fashion items such as hoodies, t-shirts etc. RN the next Chav brand?

It was our units recruiting evening the other day and whilst they had the rosy picture painted during the presentation the potential recruits then met the JR’s in the bar with none of the recruiting around. Something must be going right as there is now a steady trickle into the unit of New Entries!

I appreciate previous post was a bit provocative but is always good to get the debate going. Out of interest how many on here are involved in their unit’s recruitment efforts?

bunnyjumper

Lantern Swinger
forever_a_subby said:
Have heard on the grapevine that a series of TV adverts are planned for the winter this year. Apparently the RNR is also moving towards joint adverts with the RN to save costs and boost profile.

Don't think I'll hold my breath :roll: - I've heard talk like this before from the RN. I go back to the "Bus Stop poster campaign" I mentioned earlier - It certainly never happened around my neck of the woods.

It's a good idea to tie in with the RN, but then again how often does the RN get advertised on the telly, compared with the army.........

BeerBad

Lantern Swinger
bunnyjumper said:
Don't think I'll hold my breath :roll: - I've heard talk like this before from the RN. I go back to the "Bus Stop poster campaign" I mentioned earlier - It certainly never happened around my neck of the woods.

I think the bus stop campaign may have been targeting specific areas. I saw a lot of them in my area where there is a high percentage of ethnic minorities (think South London) and posters where of individuals from similar background.

trehorn

War Hero
mndc said:
As a potential recruit myself I have found the information and advice available wholly inadequate and in most cases just absent.
I think I shall wait a few months until I move to the south coast and then try another Unit. (quote)

Where abouts you from mate, that sort of reponse is really not good enough from our point of view.

Our recruitment procedure goes along the lines of-
1. Make contact/friends with your local AFCO and RN Recruitment officer.
2. Find out what they are doing and where they are going.
3. Offer to help them out with events they are attending. Extra manpower is always appreciated.
4. August is usually very quiet in training circles so target august as a month for aggressive recruitment.

When we finally get people into our clutches we;
1. Show them around the unit, while asking a few questions about their interest in the RN/RNR, personal life etc
2. Introduce them to a few of the people.
3. Show them the new recruitment dvd.
4. Sit them down with one of the lads/lasses who have been in a few years explaining what we do, when we do it, why we do it and how we do it.
5. Give them the recruitment paperwork and encourage them to come back the following week either with it completed or to complete it.

We actively follow up every bit of interest shown by every prospective recruit either by letter, email or phone call. We are preparing our own website which is much better than the MOD effort.

Our recruitment team mainly consists of one junior officer and three junior ratings but everyone within the unit gets involved.

We must be doing something right, at present we are the most successful RNR unit for recruitment behind President.

Sorry to keep blowing our trumpet but what can i say - CERES LEADS THE WAY!.
Not bad for a tender, eh? :D

mndc

Midshipman
trehorn said:
Where abouts you from mate, that sort of reponse is really not good enough from our point of view.

Currently living in London, Will be moving to Southampton in September to begin my Deck Officer cadetship for the MN. So I will be contacting King Alfred then.
The reason I had no luck with President earlier in the year was due to being given the wrong contact numbers (repeatedly). Unfortionatly it would seem that the RN recruitment line, supposedly the first point of contact for RNR careers, do not have correct details for potential recruits to contact their local unit.

Cheers

trehorn

War Hero
Sorry to hear that.

Always best to try the Royal Navy Website follow the links to the RNR RTC (Reserve training centres) and there should always be contact details for each individual unit.

PS. MOST of the RNR PSI's dont work after 9am on a Friday.

GOOD LUCK.

mazza_magoo

Lantern Swinger
trehorn said:
Sorry to hear that.

Always best to try the Royal Navy Website follow the links to the RNR RTC (Reserve training centres) and there should always be contact details for each individual unit.

PS. MOST of the RNR PSI's dont work after 9am on a Friday.

GOOD LUCK.
or start before midday on a monday.....

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Recruitment of Non-Executive Director MoD News 0
C recruitment process Joining the Royal Navy 5
MoD_RSS Home Secretary appoints former Chief Constable to support police recruitment MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Civil/crime news: recruitment launch for Legal Aid Review Panel MoD News 0
G Recruitment for Weapons Engineer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 30
MoD_RSS New recruitment drive to help 10,000 people with serious mental illness MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Recruitment of independent members to ACOBA MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 100,000 apply to join police in first year of recruitment drive MoD News 0
B Aircraft handler recruitment Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
MoD_RSS New recruitment campaign for Windrush independent adviser MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Recruitment campaign launches for inaugural Chair of new environment watchdog MoD News 0
MoD_RSS More than 4,000 extra police officers to fight crime as recruitment continues MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Attorney General launches recruitment campaign for new Chief Inspector MoD News 0
MoD_RSS APHA launches recruitment campaign for plant health inspectors MoD News 0
S How are recruitment tests marked? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
MoD_RSS Third record-breaking year for GP trainee recruitment MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Recruitment director ban after £150k bonus prior to liquidation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Recruitment starts for new EHRC Chair and board members MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Green light for COVID-19 trial recruitment MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Parole Board Chief Executive's blog - June 2020 recruitment MoD News 0
MoD_RSS MHRA suspends recruitment to COVID-19 hydroxychloroquine trials MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Parole Board launches member recruitment campaign MoD News 0
MoD_RSS More than 3,000 extra officers join police in recruitment drive MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Recruitment for Independent Reviewer of Prevent launched MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Adult social care recruitment care campaign launched to boost workforce MoD News 0
L Recruitment & Coronavirus Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
MoD_RSS Sellafield Ltd Apprentice Recruitment MoD News 0
Q What is the current status on recruitment Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 18
MoD_RSS New service allows DBS to respond quicker to recruitment requests during COVID-19 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Coronavirus (COVID-19): letter from the Minister of State for Care to recruitment agencies MoD News 0
K Officer Recruitment rejected because of GCSEs? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 26
MoD_RSS National recruitment campaign for paramedics, radiographers and nurses begins MoD News 0
K Air engineering technician recruitment phase Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
G Recruitment test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15
R Recruitment tes Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
soleil FB: RN Recruitment - An Insight Into The Medical Assistant (Submariner) Role Submariners 0
J Currently in the recruitment process (FAA Pilot application) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
M Medical Technician recruitment RFA 0
soleil FB: RN Recruitment - "Behind The Scenes Of A Submarine" Submariners 9
C Failed recruitment eye test Joining the Royal Navy 1
B RFA Recruitment Questions Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
N Recruitment development weekend & NMT100 Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 2
MoD_RSS Next phase of adult social care recruitment campaign begins MoD News 0
B Royal Navy recruitment Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
MoD_RSS Teacher Recruitment Bulletin MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Circular 007/2019: Eyesight standards, police recruitment MoD News 0
Random New RFA Recruitment videos RFA 3
MoD_RSS Agency appointed to support recruitment of legal professionals for research MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Prime Minister launches police recruitment drive MoD News 0
S No diver recruitment?? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3