Recruitment test if you are dyslesic???

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by monty_trials, Dec 12, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hay people

I am about to re take my RT test for the 3rd time. As I am in college doing a Maths and English course, as I was only a few marks away from passing.
    I am about to take a dyslesic test also. If I prove to be dyslesic, will I get any help or extra time in the RT test????? :rendeer:

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Unfortunately not.

The test is as dyslexic-friendly as posible inasmuch as it's printed in arial round font & on pastel coloured paper with no actual writing involved in the test elements, but no other concessions are permitted due to the fact a sailor needs to rapidly & accurately interpret & pass written information.

Dyslexics frequently pass the Recruiting Test, however it is worth pointing out that severely dyslexic individuals sometimes struggle with certain elements of phase two technical training as again, no concessions are made due to the nature of the work in an action environment with little room for error.

Edited due crap spelling, not dyslexia.

3. Concessions are given to those that are dyslexic or have learning difficulties during technical training, they are allowed extra time or even someone to go over the questions with them during an exam.

Unless this has stopped very recently in the training establishments.

4. Ninja_Stoker

You are correct that those suffering from various forms of difficulties are afforded as much assistance as is practicably possible throughout training, however ultimately they have to pass the test as we cannot afford to have, for example, a "reader" sat next to an Operations Room console to assist in the action environment.

5. :thumright: Even if you are found to be Dyslexic, Dont let it stop you doing whatever you want. Dyslexic people are very clever. Go to Uni if you desire? for your degree, ps Someone close to me has dyslexia and achieved plenty :thumright:

6. I'm dyslexic 96th percentile on my testing to join Mensa you need to be on the 98th percentile, I asked the educational psycologist weather I should be please or disapointed!

Anyway way back when I passed my Naval entrance exam ( before I was dignosed) took me 2 attempts, I'm now in my second year of a University degree.

hope this helps

WW

7. Ninja_Stoker

Whilst there are indeed very clever individuals with dyslexia who have achieved great things regardless, the condition doesn't exclude stupid individuals either.

8. too true I've met some pretty dim dyslexics in my time, just like I've met very braniny and pretty dim non dyslexics

9. Thanks for the posts...Just thought the extra time would help a little if they would give it lol

Not sure if I am dyslexic as yet tho

I just wanna pass this evil RT test... I am just looking for any angle possible to pass it, as I can not fail it again :(

10. Monty
    Have read a few of your postings and to be honest from reading them I do not believe that you are dyslexic.
    Your use of the English language is too precise. :thumright:
    However if you are dyslexic you seem to be overcoming it when using a computer.

11. Oh thanks I will take that as a compliment!!! You just made me feel a lot better :)

This may sound like a stupid question but what exacily is dyslexia??

I know its learning difficulties, but in what way?? Is it something to do with remembering what you have learned? Ive never really known what it means??

12. It's not out of the question. I'm dyslexic but wasn't diagnosed until I was 26 and had already been in the service for 5 years.

13. Dyslexia is sometimes known as word blindness.
    Dyslexics when writing frequently get the letters of a word in the wrong order. The letters p,d,q and g are often the wrong way round.

Take a look here:

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Dyslexia/Pages/Symptoms.aspx?url=Pages/what-is-it.aspx

My son was diagnosed dyslexic at age 12. It hasn't stopped him from enjoying a full life and he has been a successful salesman for many years now. He did have to work hard to overcome this problem though.

Best of luck with your application. I would suggest that to improve your scores you retake your GCSE maths and English exams. Depending on your age it is possible that this could be free but it will not be too expensive.
    Check out your local college of further education.

14. I would suggest that to improve your scores you retake your GCSE maths and English exams. Depending on your age it is possible that this could be free but it will not be too expensive.
    Check out your local college of further education.[/quote]

I am already in college doing city and guilds in Maths ans English. Ive got both exams for level 1 on the 15th and 17th. I know I will pass because I have being kicking ass in the practice exams... Avarage score of 32/35 out of 40 when the pass mark is 24. Plus you have over a hour to complete it.

After this I might do level 2 also. My AFCO said I could re take the RT test for the 3rd time if I do something in education

The only thing that is bugging me is this time limit in the RT test, as in I dont really find the questions that hard its just when my nerves kick in I seam to panic a little on both times I have taken the test, because I really wanna pass!!
    Ive been doing all kinds of speed training games...Like the ones on facebook, or the brain training games on my mobile phone etc and I always seam to have at least a above avarage score!! So right now I am trying my best to become a expert pro black belt at aptitude tests lol

Anyone have any more suggestions??

15. I am already in college doing city and guilds in Maths ans English. Ive got both exams for level 1 on the 15th and 17th. I know I will pass because I have being kicking ass in the practice exams... Avarage score of 32/35 out of 40 when the pass mark is 24. Plus you have over a hour to complete it.

After this I might do level 2 also. My AFCO said I could re take the RT test for the 3rd time if I do something in education

The only thing that is bugging me is this time limit in the RT test, as in I dont really find the questions that hard its just when my nerves kick in I seam to panic a little on both times I have taken the test, because I really wanna pass!!
    Ive been doing all kinds of speed training games...Like the ones on facebook, or the brain training games on my mobile phone etc and I always seam to have at least a above avarage score!! So right now I am trying my best to become a expert pro black belt at aptitude tests lol

Anyone have any more suggestions??[/quote]

City & Guilds level one only equated to a maximum of a D at GCSE Level:

http://www.sbc.ac.uk/leaflets/0240.html

If you pass then you still do not have the GCSE pass that will aid you later in the RN.
    So keep doing the course, but if you pass then transfer to GCSE courses in Maths and English.
    This should be better for you in the longer term.

16. City & Guilds level one only equated to a maximum of a D at GCSE Level:

http://www.sbc.ac.uk/leaflets/0240.html

If you pass then you still do not have the GCSE pass that will aid you later in the RN.
    So keep doing the course, but if you pass then transfer to GCSE courses in Maths and English.
    This should be better for you in the longer term.[/quote]

I was not told that it has to be a GCSE level by my AFCO, all I was told that I have to do SOMETHING in Maths and English... Either way I will do what ever it takes!! I will do a level 10 if I have to lol