Recruitment test help!!! And tips!

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Ash_skinner, Jan 15, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi guys,

i'm studying for my recruitment test ATM and was wondering if anyone has any tips or pointers of what extra I need to be doing. My choice of job is Aircrewman. My maths isn't amazing and I do tend to struggle was wondering if anyone has any tips on the test? I have bought the how2become test book and a armed forces test book. Has anyone had any better revisin techniques?

many thanks

Ashley

2. Hey mate,

I don't usually post (more of a forum lurker usually) but i can give you some pointers based on my experience last year:

1) Pretty obvious and you seem to be doing it better than i did - PREPARE. Going in to it knowing what you're going to be faced with is a massive help all on its own, takes away some of the nerves you may have whilst sat there staring at the cover page of the paper.

2) You get extra time for your maths which seems great but trust me, time really does fly by whilst your sat there. I mean during the entire test, but specifically for me, i found the maths questions to be kinda difficult. Not that you have to be a genius to work them out, they just may take a bit of time. I ended up missing like 10 questions from my maths section purely because i ran out of time. So seriously brush up on your maths skills, practise working stuff out so you know you can do it quickly when needed.

3) Again pretty obvious but if you're stubborn like me you may forget about it during the test - If you get stuck on a question for any length of time, dont hesitate to move on to the next. The questions don't necessarily become progressively harder, so a difficult question early on may leave you with no time left to complete potentially easier questions later on in the section. This is a mistake i made.

4) Learn how to wire a plug, if you don't already. A basic understanding of electrics and mechanical knowledge will help you a lot.

Finally the thing to remember is (as far as i remember) 90% of the questions are answerable with no prior knowledge required. Its all things you SHOULD be able to work out just by looking at them. EXCEPT for obviously the plug thing, and knowing the techniques needed for the maths section (dividing, multiplying etc)

Hope this is of some help to you, good luck on your test!

3. Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  4. Hello mate. I've just recently passed the RT and am going for the same role. As said above the best thing is to be prepared. I'll be honest, I wasn't. I walked in feeling like I would fail and after looking at the maths and mechanical comprehension was adamant I had.

My advice would be to read the practice booklet at least 3-4 times. The questions are very similar. Time yourself, make sure you're able to do them all at speed.
    Go online like others have said and practice some tests/brush up on maths skills.

The biggest issue is the time. Make sure you're ready for that. I'd suggest brushing up on times tables and basic maths stuff, just to give you a head start.

Just go in there prepared. Relax.
    If you don't know an answer put a question mark next to it and move on.
    At worst case scenario you can come back to it and guess it.
    Let us know how you get on.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Cheers guys! Been revising about 3 weeks prior to having my ICP and I think my RT is a month away still waiting to hear back. What was the maths like in the test as am struggling on algebra ATM.

6. Algebra? I dont think you get a lot of that if any . If you do itll be very simple . Its more about numeracy. I am available to be corrected though lol.

If there is algebra just remeber what you do to one side you must do to the other side of the = sign . If you move something to the other side of the = sign change its + or - to the oposite.

7. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Use less exclamation marks.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Crack-on if you want to waste money buying careers advice that's freely available and copied direct from out of date official sources.

9. Agree with Ninja there. How2Become is a poor quality series of books just copied from other sources. My speed distance time book didn't even have the right answers in. Use the GCSE maths skills get used to sequences. BBC bite size is worthwhile before you spend money

• Like Like x 1
  10. Another good tip is brain training for the DS. Gets you used to mental maths at a good speed.
    Plus it's a bit of fun.

11. Maths, in particular mental arithmetic, is an integral part of Aircrewmanship. If you're crap at it, learn. There's no excuse for not being of GCSE standard within a month or so.