Recruitment Test expiration date?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by EllGee, Jan 4, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello everyone! After nearly a two year hiatus from the website, I have a question that I hope some could help me with.

In the late months of 2012 through to 2013, I was going through my application to join up as a Warfare Officer. Everything was going fine until I failed my medical, and got backdated two years until I can apply again. The date in which I can apply again is in March 2015.

Now, I'm not entirely sure, and it might just be a rumour I picked up somewhere, but I heard that the recruitment test lasts for three years until I have to take it again. My question being, would I be able to restart my application from the medical instead of having to start right at the beginning? As it only been two years.

I could be completely wrong, but if someone could give me some advice on this matter I would greatly appreciate it! Thank you.

2. Yes, the RT lasts for three years, I've recently had to retake mine. I was similar to you in regards to the medical and was declared TMU. I passed my medical and fitness just fine in the past few months, retook the RT and have my SIFT in a few weeks.

You might be able to restart from where you left off but I'll let one of the more knowledgeable people on RR give you a definite answer
  3. Okay, that's good news I suppose! Thank you for replying, made me realise I'm not the only one in this position after all. I was just hoping that I wouldn't have to take it again because it means a few more weeks of delays with the process.I still have just under three months to go, would love to start my application now! All good things come to those who wait! (Most of the time)

Anyway, also curious, did you have to mention anything about you how/why you failed your previous medical, or can you go back into the medical with a clean slate without having to mention anything?
  4. No problem and not at all!! I'm just glad my application is finally moving again. The waiting is annoying but these next few months will pass quickly I'm sure. I'd start, if you haven't already, preparing for the fitness test as, if what happened to me repeats with you, it'll be medical, if you pass that ok, a few days later you'll get a letter for the PJFT and, if you're already prepared and fit enough, you can book that straight away. You'll then be given a date to resit your RT if you're fine with the fitness and soon after that, have a date for your SIFT.

And they already had the notes in the file so when I went back, they did an abbreviated version of the medical, concentrating mainly on the reason for me being TMU'd!
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The Recruit Test is valid 3 years.

Not got a clue why, but the fact is the individual must commence initial training before 3 years have elapsed since first sitting the test.

Just to cheer you up...What has happened previously is the recruit test score has changed in the 36 month period & some people have lost their job upon re-take.
  6. Apologies for bringing up an old thread, but does the 3 year validity still apply? It's looking like my application is going to be delayed at the medical...probably for a year
  7. Ninja_Stoker

Yup, no changes.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Just to clarify, I unfortunately had to withdraw my application in Spring of 2015 due to personal family problems at the time. I passed the RT, eye test, interview and the the medical was up next. I didn't make it that far. I took the RT in late 2014.

I am now in a position to re-apply. If I was to do so, I presume I would need to re-start my application from the beginning?
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  9. Ninja_Stoker

The recruit test is valid 3 years, as indicated above, and must be valid upon entry. The eye test is valid two years, the interview one year.

Assuming you kept your AFCO in the picture & didn't simply "vanish", then just re-apply online.

Good luck.