Recruitment Test and Weapon Engineer!

#1
Hello, i am new to the forum and i would like to know a bit of info about the royal navy and the tests that are involved. I did the recruitment test in april and i didn't get a job offered :( I can re-take the test again but they told me that i can only re-take it one more time :( Is there any reason for this? Also, my 1st choice is to be a AET but i am considering putting weapon engineer as a 2nd option. What is this role like and is it any good? What is the pass mark for this job?

ripper
 
#2
hey i went for AET but didnt get it so got offered weapon engineer which i think is much more suitable for me. im guessing that you only get a second time to do it because they dont want to waste their time if you dont have what it takes to get in?! the pass mark is somewhere on the forum and there is a 10/12 month waiting time for WE. hope this helps.
 
#3
really? I have always wanted to be in the RN and to be pushed back would be devastating! I am very confused because they said that i passed the test for the RM but i didn't for the RN! Why would i be wasting their time? i am very confused!

Ripper
 
#5
well the recruitment is the same for the rn and rm. same company sort of thing. i mean its only a guess i dont actually no. im sure someone will come along and tell you.

but i did my RT couple of months ago and they said the wait is 10/12 months. but i saw it as something i really wanted to do so 10/12 months wait for something for the rest of my life has gotta be worth the wait. :D
 

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Moderator
#6
If you wish to know the scores required for each trade you may now download the Naval Personnel Management Book of Reference (BR3) from the RN Website.

The bit you need is Chapter 5, part 4, Summary of Entry Standards. Although it is beyond me why knowing the pass mark would make anyone better prepared to achieve it.

The reason you can only sit the Recruiting Test twice is because there are only 3 versions. The 3rd version is held in reserve. Otherwise if we kept giving the same test to the same person, even the terminally stupid would eventually pass - much the same as a whoop of baboons, given time & a typewriter, would recreate the entire works of Bill Shakespeare eventually.

My guess is, (certain aircrew trades excluded), baboons would still be intellectually incapable of completing phase two trade training, in the short term.
 
#7
Thanks for all the comments! So why do some people have the opportunity of taking the test 3-4 times then?have you got any advice on how it would be easier to pass the test? I am desperate to get in and would love some help!


ripper
 

RadioSilence

Lantern Swinger
#8
ripper said:
Thanks for all the comments! So why do some people have the opportunity of taking the test 3-4 times then?have you got any advice on how it would be easier to pass the test? I am desperate to get in and would love some help!


ripper
My advice would be to practice. Just type psychometric tests into google and you'll get loads of sites with practice papers. Time yourself doing them.

Not rocket science, especially if you have already done it!

Look at what you found most difficult first time round, and try to improve it. (eg. if you did badly in the MC ones, learn a bit of basic physics/technology, if you did badly in the maths practice basic maths etc)
 
#9
They didn't tell me what i did bad on! They only said that i didn't pass the test! I didn't pass because i wasn't fast enough. i only answered half the questions on each section!
 

RadioSilence

Lantern Swinger
#10
ripper said:
They didn't tell me what i did bad on! They only said that i didn't pass the test! I didn't pass because i wasn't fast enough. i only answered half the questions on each section!
Then go and practice each type of test and time yourself each time!! Plus, you should know yourself how you felt each section went!
 
#11
jonesys_goingtobeasailor said:
well the recruitment is the same for the rn and rm. same company sort of thing. i mean its only a guess i dont actually no. im sure someone will come along and tell you.

but i did my RT couple of months ago and they said the wait is 10/12 months. but i saw it as something i really wanted to do so 10/12 months wait for something for the rest of my life has gotta be worth the wait. :D
Isn't it 20 months now?
 

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Moderator
#12
ripper said:
Thanks for all the comments! So why do some people have the opportunity of taking the test 3-4 times then?have you got any advice on how it would be easier to pass the test? I am desperate to get in and would love some help!


ripper
They don't, unless many years have passed & we have moved-on to a new batch of different tests.

Those sitting the test are given a practice test booklet, whether they bother to use it is up to them, but the consequence is a long wait for a re-sit, during which time it's probably advisable to revise - there's no other 'easier' way to pass - you either practice or fail

In the FAQ sticky, I've made a post which may help;

By popular request:

You may download example RN Psychometric Test & Selection Process information HERE Many claim the practice test booklet is different to the test - it isn't, but if they do not practice against the clock, as instructed, they are in for a surprise.

The Recruiting Test is 4 part multiple choice, 30 questions in each section & you should aim to get a minimum of 50% correct in each of the 4 sections to be assured of a good pass & to leave viable job options in the Navy, should you not score high enough for your chosen trade. If you score less than ten out of 30 in the English or maths sections, it's an automatic fail for any job. The questions aren't hard, but you need to work fast. If you fail it's 12 months for a re-sit, so beware falling at the first hurdle- for goodness sake -PRACTICE AGAINST THE CLOCK!!!

You get a free practice test booklet from the AFCO, (downlaodable link above) which is an excellent guide to what to expect. Online tests are of limited value as it's a paper & pencil test, however a lot of people say the Brain Training series of games games on a Ninetendo DS helped them.

A very good free online Psychometric Test can be found on the Practice Tests website
BUT: The site is merely used to test out testing systems, so don't put your real ID or email details on the site- just enter spoof data. You should go through the test as fast as you can to simulate the real thing. To my mind it’s probably the most representative of the tests available, albeit online rather than paper & pencil.

Other good online tests can be found at: The Fireman's mechanical comprehension tests will help. (At risk of sounding ageist or sexist, the mechanical aspect tends to be the weakest area for many young males & females). The RN doesn't have any online versions, but the Civil Service online test offers a simulated Naval entry test which isn't strictly reflective, but again gives a good idea of what to expect, likewise there are some authentic practice tests on the psychometric success site.

A good book to borrow from a library (harder than the test, but good for practice- IF you feel you need it) is IQ & Psychometric Testing by Phillip Carter another one, believe it or not is the Verbal, Non-Verbal & mathematics sections of 11+ Mixed Papers. It sounds mad but the questions are virtually identical- again it's the timescales that make it difficult. You only have 9 minutes to complete 30 questions in the verbal section, same again in the non-verbal & 16 minutes for the 30 maths questions. Sounds easy- try it!

The generic: Practice Tests for the Armed Forces: Entry Level (ISBN: 9780340926550)is reasonable in my opinion, but possibly a little easier than the real thing. The Ultimate Psychometric Test Book is another reasonable example to borrow from your nearest library.

The overiding advice, is these example tests need not cost you a penny, so don't be suckered into buying something you can borrow or download for nothing.
 

burnsy85

Lantern Swinger
#13
i strongly advise revisin the book the navy give you i went and bought a psycometric test book of amazon and it was completley differnt questions to what i got on my test.
 
#14
burnsy85 said:
i strongly advise revisin the book the navy give you i went and bought a psycometric test book of amazon and it was completley differnt questions to what i got on my test.
I have had one prominent Psychometric test book that I could only ever seem to get 80% right. Turns out (and I'm not the first to notice) that a good number of the questions were incorrect, answers were completely wrong in the answer section. So be wary ;)
 
#17
R077 said:
burnsy85 said:
i strongly advise revisin the book the navy give you i went and bought a psycometric test book of amazon and it was completley differnt questions to what i got on my test.
I have had one prominent Psychometric test book that I could only ever seem to get 80% right. Turns out (and I'm not the first to notice) that a good number of the questions were incorrect, answers were completely wrong in the answer section. So be wary ;)
I have the same book i think, lol.
 
#18
I don't like the navy booklet because they're isn't enough questions in it. Only 8 per section? I was getting 7 out of 8 and thought it was pretty easy but when i did the real test it was much harder!!

Ripper
 
#20
ripper said:
I don't like the navy booklet because they're isn't enough questions in it. Only 8 per section? I was getting 7 out of 8 and thought it was pretty easy but when i did the real test it was much harder!!

Ripper
You have been given ALL the advice you need, Ninja is an RN recruiter so knows what he is talking about, stop bleating and get revising.
 

Latest Threads

Top