Recruitment Process ?

Ash891

Badgeman
I'm currently resting my ankle, was doing circuit training and went over on my ankle. Put down to a twisted ankle and thought nothing of it and cracked on with things. Month later and still having trouble, went to the Dr's and found out I have strained the tendons and I need to stay off it for a week or 2.

Ouch! Fortunately it was just over-use in my case. I think it was doing a fast paced 2 miles on the treadmill then a 3 mile run around town 20 minutes after which caused it (in new minimalist shoes which I wasn't used to!)

Last edited:

Prowler

Lantern Swinger
Get yourself a pair of good trainers. I'm talking £80 + Asics or Nike here with good support and padding. Can probably get a half price pair on Zalando or that other one I can't remember the name of.

Should help with the shin splints and helps you get used to the hard surface of the our doors.

I have a pair of Nike +3's I got for £40 (usually £90) and it feels like you're running on foam and I haven't had shin splints since I started using them.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

Ash891

Badgeman
That's exactly the same shoes I'm using (free run 3's).

I think its just a combination of over training and the impact of running when my body isn't really used to it yet - also flat feet feet don't help. Like anything though no pain no gain!

Just got to be careful when upping distance & speed, my goal is to knock a minute off my 2.4 km time of 10.30.

Get yourself a pair of good trainers. I'm talking £80 + Asics or Nike here with good support and padding. Can probably get a half price pair on Zalando or that other one I can't remember the name of.

Should help with the shin splints and helps you get used to the hard surface of the our doors.

I have a pair of Nike +3's I got for £40 (usually £90) and it feels like you're running on foam and I haven't had shin splints since I started using them.

Ash891

Badgeman
Cheers I will get myself to a running shop for an analysis if I get more shin splints but I'll hold off for now because I'm almost certain it was down to over training (my Nike free run 3's have barely seen 80 mile!)

Since I'm flat footed the doc said I could get inserts to help my form - but he said if I wanted to be good at running in the long term I'm better off without them and just develop the muscles/form needed using minimalist footwear (eg nike free 3's).

Honestly, if you are serious about getting running properly you really need to go to a GOOD sports shop ( not JD sports) and have your gait assesed. A real runners shop will have a treadmill and properly trained staff who will tell you exactly what sort of trainers you need, wearing the wrong trainers on the advice from a stranger on the web can lead you into real problems (if you are going to get serious about your running). If all you are doing is training to pass the PJFT then a decent mid range pair of trainers will suffice, I.e. save your money. But if you are having problems then you should see your doctor and a good sports shop.

Bear in mind that you may (and I'm not 100% on this) have to run in crappy Silver Shadows if you get to Raleigh.

Good luck.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Beware being prescribed orthotic insoles if suffering from shin splints - they are a bar to entry (as is a pre-existing history of chronic shin-splints). If you need insoles but "off the shelf" such as sorbothane.

Ash891

Badgeman
Beware being prescribed orthotic insoles if suffering from shin splints - they are a bar to entry (as is a pre-existing history of chronic shin-splints). If you need insoles but "off the shelf" such as sorbothane.

Thanks - I'm going to do my best to avoid them, running has certainly gotten easier since I started training and I do believe I was just over enthusiastic with it at one point - I've been a swimmer from a young age, my cardio has always been good - my guess is my legs just weren't up for the amount of running I was able to do haha (entire different muscle set and no impact).

Do any of you more experienced runners still suffer from overuse injuries?

Ash

similou

Midshipman
Im waiting on my fitness test and have been doing a lot of training in the gym, just wondering at what speed I would need to run to complete within the stated time? Plus are the treadmills they use to test you in in kl or miles? Thanks

Ash891

Badgeman
Im waiting on my fitness test and have been doing a lot of training in the gym, just wondering at what speed I would need to run to complete within the stated time? Plus are the treadmills they use to test you in in kl or miles? Thanks

To run safely under 11 minutes I've been aiming to keep the speed at 13.6 km (roughly 8.5 mph). I'd imagine every gym is different in regards to what unit the treadmills use, I'd phone up to check so you don't have any surprises!

FireMonkey

Lantern Swinger

It's not hard to work out, its a simple math equation. Distance = speed/time.

similou

Midshipman
Well I have my own treadmill at home but is in miles whereas gym km still working on finding the right speed ha, doesn't help I'm a midget and run like a spazz :/ on the plus got 13.15 to do it in but aiming for 11 ish.

SWS Fag

Lantern Swinger
When I done my pjft the pt just kept wacking the speed up till I nearly fell off, think it was the fastest I've ever run in my life. Plus I think it was an incline of 2% if you can do 10.30 on 5% incline you will piss the real RNFT everyday of the week. Beside as long as you pass no one cares how quick you done it in ( unless you are a.Diver or Marine)