Recruitment is anyone listening???

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by itsamuppet, Jul 18, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have just bought the programme for the Navy days in pompey produced by the Navy News (Sad I Know).

It promised to tell me all about the ships and people that make up the RN and what they do.

It does, with in depth interviews with all ranks and rates and gives information on whats left of the fleet (misses out Subs though???) and whats coming in the future.

HOWEVER, thwere is no mention anywhere of the work the Maritime Reserves are doing. NO adverts about the reserves, nothing. Plenty of adverts for pubs and other niff naff and trivia though.

OK so they may not want to or been allowed to advertise the Armed Forces, but at least they could have mentioned somewhere in the paper that we exist, EVEN as an integrated part of the RN.

Can someone somewhere make sure that these opportunities for free advertising get snapped up. No wonder we are struggling to recruit, when we can't even use a source on our doorstep, controlled by the RN to give the Maritime Reserve some airing and let people know what we are about.

I'm fed up of explaining to People in the Home of the Navy that I'm in the Navy's version of the TA, just so they know what I do.

I know the big wigs want us to be integrated into the RN, but lets at least try and let people know we exist to be integrated into the RN.

2. If they wanted to do that mate then they would at least have mentioned us on the RN Recruiting adverts.

"Regular and TA, one Army" springs to mind.

3. Regular and really not required, one Navy (i dare you all not to bite) :tongue8:

4. Some of us do have a sense of humour Danny :rendeer:

Haven't you ever heard of "RNR moments". Similar to blond moments with the obvious difference :w00t:

5. Some but not very many trehorn. You must be special :)

6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The fact is that the RN & RNR no longer feel the need to differentiate between full time long contract employees and part-time or short contract employees. It's called discrimination, apparently.

The more astute will have also noticed that there are no badges on uniform (apart from the peculiarly oval LS & GC gongs) that differentiate Reserves & Regulars.

7. I was the only one in step at my passing out parade! :dwarf:

8. And a glorious sight you must have been my friend.

SF

9. Surely the target audience needs to be informed that there are part time opportunities available? As stated above, it has to be explained that the RNR is the Navy version of the TA!

10. I rang HMS President twice this week simply to ask when to come by and look around. I've done some research and wanted to know a little more than what's on the website.

The first time, I was put on hold until I simply hung up, several minutes later.

Second time, I spoke to a RN bod who claimed not to know about RNR training, because he was RN, not RNR. He simply couldn't be bothered to help.

Sorry if that's a little off topic, but if I can't get any information from one of the biggest RNR units in the country, why bother advertising at all?

11. Biggest doesn't equal best!!

12. Even if a unit isn't "the best" is it too much to ask for them to answer the fcuking phone :rambo:

13. For the best information, ring HMS President on a Tuesday evening, which is their Drill Night, therefore, the RNR Recruiting Staff will be available to answer your questions.

SM :nemo:

14. One of the advantages to being the biggest and best, RNR unit in the whole of the United Kingdom (pride can be such a bad trait of mine), is that we have within our "unit" the Regional Naval Commodore. The problem with ringing "President" is that you are going through the general switchboard and may have been put through to the wrong part of ship.

There are no RNR's working there during office hours, so if you are interested in finding out more, try ringing the careers office. You wouldn't ring the Dockyard for information about careers in the Navy now would you (or if you did am fairly sure you'd be directed to the careers office anyway)

15. Title of post "Recruitment is anyone listening???" Obviously only on a Tuesday!! Surely this makes the point.

SF

16. To be fair, the how to join page on the RN website does have the national number for recruiting enquiries, rather than the unit number. Similarly the unit information page has the statement that if you want to join call the national number, rather than the unit.

Here

Despite that, recognising the issues with co-location the regular staff should have a straightforward response to RNR enquiries, and not have to send you on a classic runaround.

17. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

The problem PRESIDENT has it that is has become a lodger unit for a lot of smaller organisations who have nothing to do with the RNR. If no one is around then its no surprise that theyu didnt know - they never see the RNR and have no interaction with them.

Ring on a Tuesday or ring the national number.

18. Indeed they should - call the Careers office. I'd rather potential new recruits went directly to the national number or careers office than have the permanent staff dealing with it - they've enough to do with trying to sort out my courses and deployments.

Note to PSI's; that defence will cost you a beer.

19. Ledt me help you with some clarification.

PRESIDENT is not a lodger unit surrounded by other units that know nothing about the RNR.

HMS PRESIDENT is situated within the HQ of the NRCEE (Naval Regional) Commander Eastern England. They know all about the RNR.

The Regional Sea Cadet HQ is also a Lodger Unit there.

There is a 24hour, 365 day MOD guard presence in operation who will know who to put you through to. However it is not a public building where you can just turn up and walk around.

If you ring 02074807219 during 9 to 5 business hours and ask for a member of the Permanent Staff, you should be helped.

The best time to ring is during the hours of 18:30 to 21:00 on Tuesday evenings when members of the recruiting or New Entry staff will be on hand to answer your questions

20. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Thats strange MC - as a member of HMS PRESIDENT thats exactly how I feel whenever I turn up at the unit outside of working hours - "RN what?" sums up the attitude perfectly.

We'll agree to disagree.