Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Recruitment into units

I see that Wildfire have an advert in the local cinema magazine. I know KA tried it and got no response. It would be ineteresting to know what response Wildfire get.
 
My (un-named) unit is struggling at the moment due to poor morale and the fact that most of the new people who stay all seem to be geting gold lace on their arms, irrespective of whether they deserve it or not. very few are coming through the in-unit system for long enough to even make it to Raleigh before they're plucked from the ranks for higher things. The unit is now extremely top heavy with gimps, mummy's boys and general wasters whose mum's don't know they're out playing sailors and who know next to nothing about the Navy, which in turn sends morale spiralling further downwards in the other messes. These people have very little interaction with the other messes and simply seem to exist to further their own personal ambitions and never be in a position to have the respect from below to be able to be 'leaders of men'.

The end result is that new people coming in see the JR's on their chinstraps due to lack of percieved support and leadership from above and tend to think they've got themselves into the wrong organisation, hence they leave pretty quickly despite the best efforts of the new entry training team.

Is this the same in other units?
 
hookyh said:
My (un-named) unit is struggling at the moment due to poor morale and the fact that most of the new people who stay all seem to be geting gold lace on their arms, irrespective of whether they deserve it or not. very few are coming through the in-unit system for long enough to even make it to Raleigh before they're plucked from the ranks for higher things. The unit is now extremely top heavy with gimps, mummy's boys and general wasters whose mum's don't know they're out playing sailors and who know next to nothing about the Navy, which in turn sends morale spiralling further downwards in the other messes. These people have very little interaction with the other messes and simply seem to exist to further their own personal ambitions and never be in a position to have the respect from below to be able to be 'leaders of men'.

The end result is that new people coming in see the JR's on their chinstraps due to lack of percieved support and leadership from above and tend to think they've got themselves into the wrong organisation, hence they leave pretty quickly despite the best efforts of the new entry training team.

Is this the same in other units?

Get in touch with the Command WO to CMR. Everyone should be completing Raleigh before getting recommended for AIB. Big bug bear of mine is that Raleigh, instead of confirming a units recommendation, are passing the buck back to units, which is not the way it was supposed to be
 
What is the point of the RNR?
What does the RN want from it?
How many truely seagoing braches are there left?

The moral problems are due to a lack of purpose and dare I say direction. The solution is real leadership (that inspirational stuff I'm always hearing about). Until the RNR gets this recruitment and retention will remain poor; and too many will rush upstairs in the search of something better.
 
Wacka,

I think we are closer to have something firmer on the first two than ever before.

As to the number of seagonig branches, I am not sure how relevant that is to to recruitment and retention.

People don't like change, but I think the current changes are being well driven and well handled (if a little slow) and I am seeing an increase in morale in my unit and specialisation.

As to the moral problems, my vetting officer knows all about them!!!
 
To be fair, the people i'm talking about are doing Raleigh first, although as you say, they may or may not be being given a recommend from there. My point really was that there appears to be no thought from within the unit to look at what's required in that unit and simply putting everyone through for their cw/aib who fancies it.

There are a fair few who i will never call sir/ma'am as long as mine points down. I'm not being bolshie, i simply don't accept these clueless individuals are officers. I've always worked on the basis of 'Would i go to war with him/her' and to be honest 95% of these so-called 'leaders' would get their men planted if they went into combat.

i sincerely hope some of them read this and think 'do they mean me?' and start at least trying to get their act together.

It's a bloody good job the RNR is full of outstanding senior rates and decent killicks, because a great percentage of our 'orifices' are an embarrassment!

I would so love to name my unit, but i realise it's not the done thing in a place like this. As an aside, the CWO did get wind of this when he came to our place. I got the impression that our unit has been strongly noted down at CMR. Watch this space perhaps!
 
The joke is that stopping direct entry officers and making everyone join through the lower deck was supposed to give credibility to those that were seen to join simply to get gold on their shoulders and wanted respect as such, without doing anything to earn it.

The only light at the end of the tunnel seems to be that anyone not cutting the mustard in their war role has little future in this organisation. (My own opinion, but that's how I'm reading the message coming from the new HQ i.e."Expect to be deployed".)
 
I think the important thing to remember is that it is all very well but what about their retention %??

Vivid has a new intake every term of NE's these classes are small but of those who stay commited most end up going to Raleigh together and we end up with large stage 2 classes.

We hold our recruitment evenings in the local town hall in the city centre which improves the ammount of atendees. The NE's are encouraged to attend these evenings as of those who do join come from these evenings.
 
hookyh said:
It's a bloody good job the RNR is full of outstanding senior rates and decent killicks, because a great percentage of our 'orifices' are an embarrassment!

I would so love to name my unit, but i realise it's not the done thing in a place like this. As an aside, the CWO did get wind of this when he came to our place. I got the impression that our unit has been strongly noted down at CMR. Watch this space perhaps!

hm...if it is the unit we are thinking then rumours have it too the "outstanding" senior rates and killicks referred to are apparently in equally short supply!

There are good and bad people throughout the RN and RNR, all rates and ranks, as in all walks of life so petty sniping at Officers or vice versa is pathetic.

There are so many monkeys dressing up in green and posturing around like rambo I can't imagine wanting to go to war with half of them...
 
Navylark said:
There are so many monkeys dressing up in green and posturing around like rambo I can't imagine wanting to go to war with half of them...

That's not fair to monkeys!
 
Just to put things straight and not just give the impression i'm having a go at officers, i have to say that we do have some really good officers and some who are clearly going to be in the future, my point isn't to just have a pop at them from the comfort of a pseudonym, but to express disenchantment at the fact that there seems to be a disproportionate amount of people joining and going cw. The wardroom is having their sh1ts and giggles whilst contributing very, very little to the ship as a whole, while the jr's feed off the scraps of what's left. i.e. Ex RN (Happy with that), a few high quality recruits who've no wish to be an officer and whatever's left, which sometimes is not the best quality material in proportion to what there would be if the unit wasn't top heavy with gold lace.

On the drill deck of an evening there are usually considerably more officers than seniors, juniors and NE's put together. Hell, even the NE training team are depairing! I just think we need to look at what's needed and only cream off the very best candidates to go cw and look at the requirement within the branches for the majority to feed into.

In my unit i would guess that of the newbies who stay long term, around sixty to seventy percent appear to be being given a crack at aib. The key word our co keeps mentioning is recruiting and for us to try to bring in people we know as 'we are the best recruiters'. Why should we bother if all that happens is that most of them end up in the wardroom instead of where the shortages really are. After all, what's so bad about keeping high quality people as ratings. The Navy thrives on such people.
 

Latest Threads

New Posts

Top