Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Recruitment into units

After every recruiting evening they get pissed up with the recruiting team in our JR mess. Old trick of get them drunk and they will see everything through beer goggles.

I think recruitment would be great if everyone was issued a pint at every drill night.

Don't care if it went with a corresponding decrease in training allowance. As they say, a pint in the hand...

Uncle_Albert
"I recall that Northern Ireland is poorly served in the way of TA units; whilst in no way trying to play down their achievements, is it possible that some of their new entry got it into their heads to join the reserve forces, and had they been elsewhere in the UK might have wound up in the RAuxAF (or indeed, the TA)?"

Poorly served as in the 3,500 Royal Irish Home Service TA and the 2,500 regular TA in NI. The 6 poorly served TA centres in Belfast alone ?

Population of NI 1.5 million. Caroline trained strength approx 100
Population of greater London 20 million. President trained strength ?

No idea why we've got so many in NE at the moment. Possibly had a big push on recruitment? Nothing to do with taking Wildfires lot - why would we want to lower our standards? (JOKE!)

I'm personally very tired of people coming up with dull comments about President and infesting units. Yes President HAD a reputation at one stage, but the unit has changed and is now lobbing out lots of YO's that will help you guys out in the longer term. Perhaps if you come down to the unit and see what life is like there you might change your tune?

McHammock said:
Uncle_Albert
"I recall that Northern Ireland is poorly served in the way of TA units; whilst in no way trying to play down their achievements, is it possible that some of their new entry got it into their heads to join the reserve forces, and had they been elsewhere in the UK might have wound up in the RAuxAF (or indeed, the TA)?"

Poorly served as in the 3,500 Royal Irish Home Service TA and the 2,500 regular TA in NI. The 6 poorly served TA centres in Belfast alone ?

Take out the RIR (didn't I hear they were being disbanded at some point; what happened to that?) and you've got medical, logs and comms. I wouldn't be interested in joining any of those and as such, from my own point of view, NI is not much cop for TA units. Obviously some people do want to join the army for the chance to operate a radio, so your mileage may vary.

BTW, you overestimated the population of London by 13 million. It's only about 7 million. The other 13 million people you mention must be elsewhere.

Uncle_Albert said:
McHammock said:
Uncle_Albert

Take out the RIR (didn't I hear they were being disbanded at some point; what happened to that?) and you've got medical, logs and comms. I wouldn't be interested in joining any of those and as such, from my own point of view, NI is not much cop for TA units. Obviously some people do want to join the army for the chance to operate a radio, so your mileage may vary.

BTW, you overestimated the population of London by 13 million. It's only about 7 million. The other 13 million people you mention must be elsewhere.

As you seem to be in the habit of correcting people:
3500 are home service RI Regiment, which will be disbanded in August 07 and do not feature in the TA ORBAT (The fact that they are disbanding is not a factor in this discussion. The fact that 3500 have signed up is).

TA units in NI include Royal Irish Rangers (Infantry), Royal Artillery, Int Corps, Armoured Corp as well as those you mentioned. 21 TA Units at 13 locations.

Fair enough. I hadn't looked into it myself, I was taking the word of a chum in NI who looked at the TA there and was dissatisfied with what was on offer, so decided to wait for the RMR to open up.

PRESIDENT does not operate the policy of being a feeder unit ??? dont know where that info came from but is incorrect..

They have an outstanding Recruiting team and employ various methods ,such as recruiting and presentation teams and close liaison with AFCOs.
They attend most of the London RFCA events and use press advertising (metro) etc to good effect

its a good idea to share best practice

Well I've recently signed up at President and the beer in the bar afterwards was a very good idea. Mind you I decided to join based on word of mouth, I've never seen any adverts for the RNR in the press, or anywhere else for that matter.

In response to steviant there were a couple of ads in the Metro and possibly the Evening Standard. There was an idea of advertising in pub toilets but probably came up against the argument that it would hark back to the old line of "Join the navy, feel a man"

Could it be that all the City types just want an Officers Hat on the Parcel Shelf of their Car to pose in the Capital!!
15 to AIB!!!!
How many of the rest will be retained in the JR's?? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Fox_Talbot said:
15 to AIB!!!!
How many of the rest will be retained in the JR's??

President JR's has a large number of city-type professionals. It's certainly true that President supplies the RNR with a large number of its officers, but then that's down to its footprint. All the unit can do is look at each intake for officer potential and offer them the opportunity - there is a shortage of officers in the RNR.

President Recruiting
They do employ some excellent well run schemes, such as recruiting at Football & Rugby games, Metro and Standard as mentioned. They have an outstanding Recruiting team which is rotated and uses all ranks and rates.
BZ all round, if we can share the best practice employed at PRESIDENT then the RNR will thrive

Latest Threads