Recruitment into units

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by Uncle_Albert, Mar 1, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I heard last night that President currently has 53 new entries (of which about 15 are qualified and willing to go for AIB); someone went on to say that this is more than the rest of the RNR units put together, and someone else speculated that it compared well with the current sum total of new entries for the TA in the greater London area.

Can anyone from various RNR units give a snapshot of how new entry recruiting is going? Is President the only unit that is expanding?

2. UA

Most units I know would kill for half that intake. Even although President has a good location, I think it does a very good job of marketing itself to the people of London.

I would be interested to see that stats for city centre units like President and Calliope compared to the more out of town spots like Scotia, Flying Fox and Wildfire.

Still BZs all round to the President recruiting team.

M(R)

3. Wow - BZ to President. That's a very good intake. Last couple of years has definitely been lean, though I know some units are on the upturn with recruitment now. Nothing along the lines of 53 though, and I would not be surprised if that was more than the rest put together.

A point to remember, and this is not to detract from Presidents incredible achievement, but the majority joining the likes of Vivid and KA will be ex-regular and will go straight onto the trained strength, bypassing NE altogether. You still need that intake at the NE level though, and it gives other RUs something to aim for.

4. CAROLINE currently has 20 NEs.
    As a % of total unit size, this must beat President
    (Can't allow anyone to BZ President without reply can we ?)
    BZ Caroline

5. Also worth noting that PRES functions as a feeder unit. Relatively few of the N/E's will stay with the unti for their whole career, and often the young professionals who join as AB's or as SLT's will be posted elsewhere in the UK and join other RNR units. I can think of numerous ex PRES types we've despatched into the wilderness :)

6. Like little viral missiles, infecting our rural units with their big city ways.

7. :lol:

The infection keeps on trying to take hold in our RU, but we're bravely fighting it off!

8. Uncle Ole chap we seem to have the same name. tut tut.

This could be very misleading

You wouldn`t consider changing it would you?

Thanks in anticipation.

9. If I'd checked the member list and seen there was already someone with such a similar name I'd have picked something else.

My move? What are you talking about? This isn't some kind of pissing contest, chum.

10. OK bored now. Take it to PM, this was a nice wee recruitment thread and I don't want to see it spoiled

11. Children, children... I fear that the Moderator is about to deliver a short sharp slap to the tops of your little leggies!!!!

12. Oh dear.... I was adrift as usual!!

13. OK back to business.
    Anyone out there from PRESIDENT shed any light on what your'e doing to get such high numbers?

14. Probably pinching Wildfires recruits from the London AFCO!!

15. Quite agree. No idea what the deal is with this. Back to recruitment.

I've manned a few recruitment attempts, and the list of things that don't work is long. How many people actually joined the RNR through a chance encounter with a stand in a shopping centre or some kind of maritime-themed event?

I recall that Northern Ireland is poorly served in the way of TA units; whilst in no way trying to play down their achievements, is it possible that some of their new entry got it into their heads to join the reserve forces, and had they been elsewhere in the UK might have wound up in the RAuxAF (or indeed, the TA)?

16. Interesting stats especially because, as a Londoner, I'd say that PRES is much less visable or known about than any of the TA units!!

17. After every recruiting evening they get pissed up with the recruiting team in our JR mess. Old trick of get them drunk and they will see everything through beer goggles.

18. I think recruitment would be great if everyone was issued a pint at every drill night.

Don't care if it went with a corresponding decrease in training allowance. As they say, a pint in the hand...

19. Uncle_Albert
    "I recall that Northern Ireland is poorly served in the way of TA units; whilst in no way trying to play down their achievements, is it possible that some of their new entry got it into their heads to join the reserve forces, and had they been elsewhere in the UK might have wound up in the RAuxAF (or indeed, the TA)?"

Poorly served as in the 3,500 Royal Irish Home Service TA and the 2,500 regular TA in NI. The 6 poorly served TA centres in Belfast alone ?

Population of NI 1.5 million. Caroline trained strength approx 100
    Population of greater London 20 million. President trained strength ?

20. No idea why we've got so many in NE at the moment. Possibly had a big push on recruitment? Nothing to do with taking Wildfires lot - why would we want to lower our standards? (JOKE!)

I'm personally very tired of people coming up with dull comments about President and infesting units. Yes President HAD a reputation at one stage, but the unit has changed and is now lobbing out lots of YO's that will help you guys out in the longer term. Perhaps if you come down to the unit and see what life is like there you might change your tune?