Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recruitment for Weapons Engineer

soleil

War Hero
Rating, 16 year old

That would be this role, then.

How far have you got with your application so far?

My son is also 16 and is waiting for his medical. That and the fitness test are the remaining things to do. He applied for AET in April.

He has been interested in the Navy for at least 3 years so has been looking at various aspects over that time, the history, the fleet, types of aircraft, TV programs, where he would be based as AET, where he would train etc, he joined the local gym several years ago. He has been in the Scouts for 5-6 years, so is familiar with looking after himself, been doing his own ironing for a couple of years. During lockdown he helped me with some DIY projects so got familiar with hand and power tools. He plays cricket for the local club. All useful stuff to talk about at the interview. There are useful videos on YouTube about the interview, and the aptitude tests. The AFCO issue a booklet with example tests in it. He practiced all these for quite some time.

The first stage was the aptitude tests, then interview, then eyesight. From what other people say on here the order seems to vary a bit. He had some surgery as a small kid and Capita who run the medical side asked for some info from his GP. This took them more than 2 months to supply so caused a big delay.

He is now waiting to hear from Capita about the face to face medical. Meanwhile he is running regularly to keep his fitness up ready for the test and hopefully HMS Raleigh at some point not too far off.

I would guess Weapons Engineer would also require some interest in technical knowledge/skills, but I don't think they quite expect someone who can dismantle and repair the ship's missile system at this stage. I guess good scores in the Mechanical Comprehension and Numeracy parts of the tests would be expected for engineering roles.

I am not ex-navy so this is all based on my son's experiences over the last 6 months. Hope it helps.

soleil

War Hero
The intention of the interview is to assess your suitability for the Naval Service and for the role you have applied for.

Areas which are covered include home background, education, work record, spare time activities, interests and hobbies, fitness, motivation and service knowledge.

You should be aware of the Terms and Conditions of Service under which you will serve and of the Royal Navy's policy on drugs.

You should know all about your training, initial training and professional training, in fact, you should know all of the details about your role which are given in the relevant Careers page. I would suggest getting some of those little coloured index cards from a stationer and writing down everything about the role which is on there on the cards.

If you can call in to W H Smith's or a larger newsagent, look out for a copy of Navy News.

I would also suggest that you look through the video updates here for some ideas on current deployments and the ships of the Fleet.

Greendog

My son is also 16 and is waiting for his medical. That and the fitness test are the remaining things to do. He applied for AET in April.

He has been interested in the Navy for at least 3 years so has been looking at various aspects over that time, the history, the fleet, types of aircraft, TV programs, where he would be based as AET, where he would train etc, he joined the local gym several years ago. He has been in the Scouts for 5-6 years, so is familiar with looking after himself, been doing his own ironing for a couple of years. During lockdown he helped me with some DIY projects so got familiar with hand and power tools. He plays cricket for the local club. All useful stuff to talk about at the interview. There are useful videos on YouTube about the interview, and the aptitude tests. The AFCO issue a booklet with example tests in it. He practiced all these for quite some time.

The first stage was the aptitude tests, then interview, then eyesight. From what other people say on here the order seems to vary a bit. He had some surgery as a small kid and Capita who run the medical side asked for some info from his GP. This took them more than 2 months to supply so caused a big delay.

He is now waiting to hear from Capita about the face to face medical. Meanwhile he is running regularly to keep his fitness up ready for the test and hopefully HMS Raleigh at some point not too far off.

I would guess Weapons Engineer would also require some interest in technical knowledge/skills, but I don't think they quite expect someone who can dismantle and repair the ship's missile system at this stage. I guess good scores in the Mechanical Comprehension and Numeracy parts of the tests would be expected for engineering roles.

I am not ex-navy so this is all based on my son's experiences over the last 6 months. Hope it helps.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S I'm worried about my Recruitment test! What score do I need to be a Weapons Technician? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
MoD_RSS Home Secretary appoints former Chief Constable to support police recruitment MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Civil/crime news: recruitment launch for Legal Aid Review Panel MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New recruitment drive to help 10,000 people with serious mental illness MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Recruitment of independent members to ACOBA MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 100,000 apply to join police in first year of recruitment drive MoD News 0
B Aircraft handler recruitment Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
MoD_RSS New recruitment campaign for Windrush independent adviser MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Recruitment campaign launches for inaugural Chair of new environment watchdog MoD News 0
MoD_RSS More than 4,000 extra police officers to fight crime as recruitment continues MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Attorney General launches recruitment campaign for new Chief Inspector MoD News 0
MoD_RSS APHA launches recruitment campaign for plant health inspectors MoD News 0
S How are recruitment tests marked? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
MoD_RSS Third record-breaking year for GP trainee recruitment MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Recruitment director ban after £150k bonus prior to liquidation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Recruitment starts for new EHRC Chair and board members MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Green light for COVID-19 trial recruitment MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Parole Board Chief Executive's blog - June 2020 recruitment MoD News 0
MoD_RSS MHRA suspends recruitment to COVID-19 hydroxychloroquine trials MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Parole Board launches member recruitment campaign MoD News 0
MoD_RSS More than 3,000 extra officers join police in recruitment drive MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Recruitment for Independent Reviewer of Prevent launched MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Adult social care recruitment care campaign launched to boost workforce MoD News 0
L Recruitment & Coronavirus Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
MoD_RSS Sellafield Ltd Apprentice Recruitment MoD News 0
Q What is the current status on recruitment Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 18
MoD_RSS New service allows DBS to respond quicker to recruitment requests during COVID-19 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Coronavirus (COVID-19): letter from the Minister of State for Care to recruitment agencies MoD News 0
K Officer Recruitment rejected because of GCSEs? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 26
MoD_RSS National recruitment campaign for paramedics, radiographers and nurses begins MoD News 0
K Air engineering technician recruitment phase Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
G Recruitment test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15
R Recruitment tes Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
soleil FB: RN Recruitment - An Insight Into The Medical Assistant (Submariner) Role Submariners 0
J Currently in the recruitment process (FAA Pilot application) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
M Medical Technician recruitment RFA 0
soleil FB: RN Recruitment - "Behind The Scenes Of A Submarine" Submariners 9
C Failed recruitment eye test Joining the Royal Navy 1
B RFA Recruitment Questions Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
N Recruitment development weekend & NMT100 Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 2
MoD_RSS Next phase of adult social care recruitment campaign begins MoD News 0
B Royal Navy recruitment Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
MoD_RSS Teacher Recruitment Bulletin MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Circular 007/2019: Eyesight standards, police recruitment MoD News 0
Random New RFA Recruitment videos RFA 3
MoD_RSS Agency appointed to support recruitment of legal professionals for research MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Prime Minister launches police recruitment drive MoD News 0
S No diver recruitment?? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
MoD_RSS New recruitment drive for Team Tempest MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Government acts urgently to protect judicial recruitment MoD News 0