Recruitment Evening

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by scrivomcdivo, Aug 11, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I will be attending my local Unit this week for an Open Evening as I am hoping to sign up with the RNR. Is there any dress code for these evenings or just smart / casual clothing???

I know this may sound like a daft question but I'm aware first impressions count and that people make their mind up in approx 7 seconds on first impressions and so, don't want to turn up like a scruff

Cheers :)
  2. Don't turn up like a scruff then!
  3. Fair comment Greyman. Just dont want to turn up suited 'n' booted and be the only on :)
  4. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

The key is to think of who it is that you are trying to make an impression with - if you want to impress the other attendees then by all means turn up in the accepted uniform of the street (whatever that may be!), if however you are trying to convey your potential for service as a naval reservist then turn up dressed accordingly:

JR - jeans / t-shirt
    SR - Chinos / polo-shirt
    Wardroom - dog-robbers :) :)
  5. Cheers FlagWagger. Think I'll go for smart jeans and a smart / casual shirt :)
  6. Credit to you for taking the trouble to ask (but more for finding the website in the first place). You will see from at least one of the responses that we have a sense of humour! Hope that you like what you see and decide to join us. I doubt that many of the posters on here will have too much negative to say about the RNR.
  7. Pimperne1, thanks for the reply. I've been floating around this site for a month or so now to try and gain an insight into the RNR before actually deciding on applying. This morning I finally took a step forward and telephoned the Recruitment line. Hopefully will get the paperwork at the Recruitment evening on Wednesday and start the ball rolling!
  8. After all the initial excitement of attending and potentially signing up, I rang up my local Unit today to confirm my attendance only to be told that the Unit is on "stand down" and that there was no recruitment evening planned for this evening despite me having an email telling me that there was! I asked them to double check which they did, but it was negative.

I'm starting to feel that me signing up to the RNR is not meant to be.......It took a month before they replied to my initial email, then three weeks later, I'm still waiting for information to be sent out in the post and then I get given a date for an open evening only for it not to be held. I even attended my local AFCO and was told that recruitment for the RNR is not actioned there and is done by my local Unit!!!

I don't think me serving with the RNR is meant to be :(
  9. Sorry, if I had thought you were attending soon then I would have said that all the RNR units are likely to be on leave at present. Going back week commencing 25 Aug. Don't give up. You will need to speak to whoever in the unit is the expert on Recruitment Evenings to find out exactly what the procedure is - there is some conflict between Careers Offices and units at the moment I understand. Just a bit of a pity that you tried to join during these three weeks but if you persevere I think you will find it a very worthwhile activity. Oh, and there are a few things you will find slightly frustrating with our procedures - I can only say that, on balance, the vast majority of people find more on the credit side than on the debit side.
  10. Matey. Try not to be disheartened by this. Sadly a lack of communication like this is commonplace. If/when you do join the RNR you WILL come across this sort of thing again. The trick is to roll with the punches and move on. Keep plugging away matey, and do go along to the next Presentation evening, and do join. Give it a go. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I've been in 13 years, and never looked back. :rambo:
  11. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Minor point - the whole of the armed forces shut down in late Jul and August - no surprise that you've not had any joy. Things will kick off again in September.
  12. Treat it as any other job interview. Turn up smart
  13. Folks, please don't take my last posting as a moan. I was just a little disappointed - not by the RNR in specific but just by the fact I'd got my hopes up. As people have quite rightly pointed out, I'll just attend the one in September :)
  14. Just keep asking yourself:

" Do I want to belong to any organisation that would have me as a member?"
  15. Don't worry, once you're in, you'll have plenty of opportunities to moan.

As for waiting just a few short months; my girlfriend left the RNR and joined the RAuxAF and it's taken 18 months from initial query to first training weekend. They're even slower than the RNR.
  16. Have you considered the TA/RMR/RauxAF? Your local unit sounds pants
  17. For an answer to this i would see the previous post on joining the RAuxAF!

Stick with it mate.

It is frustrating but well worth it in the long run.

As posted prevoiusly it wont be your last frustrating occurance in the RNR but just think of them as little tests. If you get through it all despite the bows then its obviously meant to be.

The RNR don't want people who give up at the first problem. They want people who are willing to presevere.

Don't give up.