Recruitment downturn

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Hideous, Jul 9, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Having just read the recent comment on the Defence intranet concerning LGBT within the armed services, I was wondering how the current policy might impact on recruitment. The article here is interesting reading however reader discretion is required:

The dynamics of the issue leave me ambivalent towards the subject and I prefer not to make any judgement or pass further comment.
  2. I never noticed any real difference when the LGBT and E&D started to become more prominent and there will be an uplift in RN recruitment next year. I think most people who are serving realise we are no longer in the Victorian era.

As to applying discretion when reading, I have to say I agree as the second to last paragraph seems to sum up the writers bias.
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Braindead for what reason or are opinions not in accordance with yours suitable for that?
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. If the cap fits, wear it
  5. Can you answer the question?
  6. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

What on earth did Wrecker do to warrant a 'braindead' award. He posted a very sensible and measured answer.

The issue of LGBT is a total non issue in HM Forces, and hasn't been since the day the ban was lifted. I remember the gnashing teeth and anger of the tabloids ahead of it going as they predicted the end of life as we knew it. The reality was that nothing changed and life went on.

I don't think anyone in todays recruiting target pool remotely cares about this as an issue. If they do, then they're not the sort of people we'd want in anyway.
    • Like Like x 3
  7. Well the article is concerning the American service not the RN.
    The RN has always had homosexuals serving, they just kept their sexuality in the locker room.
    I joined in the 60s and knew more than a handful but so long as they didn't upset anyone their sexuality was usually ignored.
    In the modern navy youngsters have grown up with homosexuals around them and have not been taught to despise and hate them.
    So whats the problem

OK I use the word homosexual instead of GAY cos I will never forgive them for nicking and changing the meaning of a perfectly good English word.
  8. Knowing Cdr Snodgrass, the 'spin' on that article is wrong, and near mendacious. But you knew that didn't you.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Can you supply a quote from the current policy which has caused your wonderment with regard the impact on recruitment?

The most recent announcement in the Naval Service LGBT Network on the Defence Intranet was dated 27 Jun 2015 and relates to the LGBT Pride in London Parade.

Having only this morning re-familiarised myself, for a pair of hours, with the latest Diversity & Inclusion training package, I'm honestly not aware that the current service policy affects or influences recruitment in any way, shape or form in anything other than a positive manner.
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Not being a modern male it would take me a couple of months to get to grips with the above. FFS I've only just stopped referring to gays and lesbians as Pooftahs and Rug Munchers.
  11. Just to jump in about the LGBT thing.

My lad 'came out' just before going to Uni. He spent a year there before deciding that the costs involved and what he was getting out of it did not add up so he applied to join up. 18 months later he started at Raleigh, told everyone of his 'leanings' and no-one cared. He has a bigger bunch of mates then he ever had at collage or uni and to top it all........

His girlfriend came to visit last weekend - and she is very, very nice (being polite in case he's reading this!)
    This is a 'real' girlfriend, not just a friend who happens to be a girl.

My opinion is that there is no real 'left' and 'right' only when it comes to sexuality - there's plenty of space in the middle for real life.

Will he always go out with her? Who knows, but that is his choice and no-one else's.

As slim has said, there were always homosexuals in the services - didn't stop them doing their job - and it won't.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. I don't think that I was looking at current policy, instead, the trigger for this was my successful completition of the mandatory D&I online and I afterwards, I felt that I had never really given the issue a great deal of attention. So I googled to see what other policies were available, the first article was the above link and was surprised by the comments in the US article hence my suggestion that reader discretion is required.
  13. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

No reason. Hideous is moving 'Tansy" like through the boards armed with the bullshit and braindead buttons. I had a 2 year old post pick up such a rating today.
  14. Actually, I had never noticed the buttons until the ranting thread and noticed that Slim awarded me a much-deserved 'braindead', so now I am letting the fickle finger of fate have a bit of fun.

And it is nice to note that Seadog had appeared again.

Anyway, better things to because the weekend has just started.

15. By 'awarding' Wrecker a 'Braindead', you did exactly that
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Ninja_Stoker

That's odd - I was told that service D&I training was no longer conducted online. Do you have a current link so I can have a gander at the cause of your wonderment?
  17. Is it Norman? Is it Guzzler?

'Cos it has been here before.
  18. I reckon Norman is back out of his hole
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Ninja_Stoker

I think the correct phrasal verb is up, rather than out :)

That said, it enlivens the forum I s'pose.