Recruitment & Coronavirus

lb3817

Midshipman
Hi guys,

Very new here, but thought I'd give it a go.

I'm very early in the process of joining the RN as an officer in Warfare, however I can fully appreciate that the current situation has disrupted recruitment everywhere.

Was just wondering what the current plan on the NSRT is? I have heard rumours that it's no longer happening and that they'll take your qualifications instead, but not sure how true that is?

Everything else beyond the NSRT is a bit distant for me at the moment, as I say I'm very early in the process, but I presume beyond the NSRT everything else has been disrupted as well? Has there been any significant changes in the joining process, particularly for potential officers?

Thanks in advance.

soleil

War Hero
Has there been any significant changes in the joining process, particularly for potential officers?

Thanks in advance.
Something which is certainly true, lb, is that there is a group of applicants which was due to start at BRNC this spring and which is currently on hold. They are candidates who are fully processed with AIB passes; all they need now is to be selected and loaded on to a date.

This problem with the corona virus has happened at a point where a board was due to sit and, under normal circumstances, select candidates for a spring start (or later, of course). The primary need now is to find a way of selecting the candidates the Navy needs from the pool of candidates who are eligible and then creating an entry date which is feasible in the current climate.

Something which will come into play will be the matching of the current and forecast need to the pool of those who can be selected. It might be that there are sufficient, say, Logistics Officer candidates in the pool to make up a group for the next few entries, whereas there may be fewer candidates for Marine Engineer Officer (Submariner) in the pool, yet a real need for as many of them as possible to be processed through BRNC by the end of the year.

What this may mean is that the prognosis may differ depending on the roles people are applying for.

The primary need will be to process the existing pool, which means creating an entry date, something which is so difficult to do without knowing how the government intends to manage this appalling virus.

Handling this at BRNC must be like trying to do the world's most difficult jigsaw and I think that it is going to take some time.

For what it's worth, in the past, when something unusual has happened, it has been possible to tweak the joining process; I know of someone who was looking at WEO (SM) when there was a very vivid and immediate need for them. If I remember correctly, he made the phone call in January and was at BRNC about 2 months later, courtesy of a specially constructed fast track route.

lb3817

Midshipman
Something which is certainly true, lb, is that there is a group of applicants which was due to start at BRNC this spring and which is currently on hold. They are candidates who are fully processed with AIB passes; all they need now is to be selected and loaded on to a date.

This problem with the corona virus has happened at a point where a board was due to sit and, under normal circumstances, select candidates for a spring start (or later, of course). The primary need now is to find a way of selecting the candidates the Navy needs from the pool of candidates who are eligible and then creating an entry date which is feasible in the current climate.

Something which will come into play will be the matching of the current and forecast need to the pool of those who can be selected. It might be that there are sufficient, say, Logistics Officer candidates in the pool to make up a group for the next few entries, whereas there may be fewer candidates for Marine Engineer Officer (Submariner) in the pool, yet a real need for as many of them as possible to be processed through BRNC by the end of the year.

What this may mean is that the prognosis may differ depending on the roles people are applying for.

The primary need will be to process the existing pool, which means creating an entry date, something which is so difficult to do without knowing how the government intends to manage this appalling virus.

Handling this at BRNC must be like trying to do the world's most difficult jigsaw and I think that it is going to take some time.

For what it's worth, in the past, when something unusual has happened, it has been possible to tweak the joining process; I know of someone who was looking at WEO (SM) when there was a very vivid and immediate need for them. If I remember correctly, he made the phone call in January and was at BRNC about 2 months later, courtesy of a specially constructed fast track route.
Thanks Soleil.

Sounds very unpredictable, but I can understand safety is the priority.

Will be very interesting to see what they come up with, because they will of course continue to need recruits, so as you say to try and keep that demand up, they could alter the process

soleil

War Hero
The one piece of advice I would offer, lb, is that candidates should consider the possibility of an a la carte fast track appearing in the late spring. The reason I suggest this is that I would want candidates to pay attention to their weight/fitness while maintaining proper observance of the current requirements for us all. It would be horrible to be asked to go through the fast track process in, say, June and then realise that all these weeks of staying at home had meant putting on twenty kilos and a real drop in fitness.

I really feel for the candidates who were all ready to go; it's a rotten situation. I'm hoping that they will regard all this as a challenge, the first of many to be dealt with in, hopefully, successful careers in the RN.

lb3817

Midshipman
The one piece of advice I would offer, lb, is that candidates should consider the possibility of an a la carte fast track appearing in the late spring. The reason I suggest this is that I would want candidates to pay attention to their weight/fitness while maintaining proper observance of the current requirements for us all. It would be horrible to be asked to go through the fast track process in, say, June and then realise that all these weeks of staying at home had meant putting on twenty kilos and a real drop in fitness.

I really feel for the candidates who were all ready to go; it's a rotten situation. I'm hoping that they will regard all this as a challenge, the first of many to be dealt with in, hopefully, successful careers in the RN.
Fully understand what you're saying. It's a good point, will have to wait and see, and keep up the fitness.

Absolutely, can't imagine how disheartened they are. Bet they were all ready to go.

Hi guys,

Very new here, but thought I'd give it a go.

I'm very early in the process of joining the RN as an officer in Warfare, however I can fully appreciate that the current situation has disrupted recruitment everywhere.

Was just wondering what the current plan on the NSRT is? I have heard rumours that it's no longer happening and that they'll take your qualifications instead, but not sure how true that is?

Everything else beyond the NSRT is a bit distant for me at the moment, as I say I'm very early in the process, but I presume beyond the NSRT everything else has been disrupted as well? Has there been any significant changes in the joining process, particularly for potential officers?

Thanks in advance.

Ib3817, do you have an application running at the moment? If not then put an application in and your Local AFCO will be in contact with you to explain the process as it is at the moment.

I believe the NSRT is suspended at the moment but there will be processes in place to possibly move your application forward (to a certain point).

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Coronavirus (COVID-19): letter from the Minister of State for Care to recruitment agencies MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Recruitment campaign launches for inaugural Chair of new environment watchdog MoD News 0
MoD_RSS More than 4,000 extra police officers to fight crime as recruitment continues MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Attorney General launches recruitment campaign for new Chief Inspector MoD News 0
MoD_RSS APHA launches recruitment campaign for plant health inspectors MoD News 0
S How are recruitment tests marked? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
MoD_RSS Third record-breaking year for GP trainee recruitment MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Recruitment director ban after £150k bonus prior to liquidation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Recruitment starts for new EHRC Chair and board members MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Green light for COVID-19 trial recruitment MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Parole Board Chief Executive's blog - June 2020 recruitment MoD News 0
MoD_RSS MHRA suspends recruitment to COVID-19 hydroxychloroquine trials MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Parole Board launches member recruitment campaign MoD News 0
MoD_RSS More than 3,000 extra officers join police in recruitment drive MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Recruitment for Independent Reviewer of Prevent launched MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Adult social care recruitment care campaign launched to boost workforce MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Sellafield Ltd Apprentice Recruitment MoD News 0
Q What is the current status on recruitment Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 18
MoD_RSS New service allows DBS to respond quicker to recruitment requests during COVID-19 MoD News 0
K Officer Recruitment rejected because of GCSEs? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 23
MoD_RSS National recruitment campaign for paramedics, radiographers and nurses begins MoD News 0
K Air engineering technician recruitment phase Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
G Recruitment test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15
R Recruitment tes Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
soleil FB: RN Recruitment - An Insight Into The Medical Assistant (Submariner) Role Submariners 0
J Currently in the recruitment process (FAA Pilot application) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
M Medical Technician recruitment RFA 0
soleil FB: RN Recruitment - "Behind The Scenes Of A Submarine" Submariners 9
C Failed recruitment eye test Joining the Royal Navy 1
B RFA Recruitment Questions Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
N Recruitment development weekend & NMT100 Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 2
MoD_RSS Next phase of adult social care recruitment campaign begins MoD News 0
B Royal Navy recruitment Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
MoD_RSS Teacher Recruitment Bulletin MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Circular 007/2019: Eyesight standards, police recruitment MoD News 0
Random New RFA Recruitment videos RFA 3
MoD_RSS Agency appointed to support recruitment of legal professionals for research MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Prime Minister launches police recruitment drive MoD News 0
S No diver recruitment?? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
MoD_RSS New recruitment drive for Team Tempest MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Government acts urgently to protect judicial recruitment MoD News 0
O Overly busy International Recruitment Desk? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
D Naval service recruitment test Joining the Royal Navy 4
MoD_RSS Press release: Planning Inspectorate launches inspector recruitment campaign MoD News 0
MorganCUFC Recruitment Test, what to bring? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
MoD_RSS News story: Companies House opens its doors for digital recruitment sessions MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: New teacher recruitment service set to save schools millions MoD News 0
E AA ET/ME Recruitment chances Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
MoD_RSS News story: Civil/crime news: recruitment exercise for Legal Aid Review Panel MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Improving service to customers: The recruitment drive and a better online service MoD News 0