Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recruitment - Convictions that automatically disqualify

Michigan

Hello gents i have a bit of a tough question for you. I don't have any criminal record IVA (just googled that today) or CCJ, however I did default on my bank overdraft ( found that out today as well :cry: ) and had my account closed. As soon as i found out this happened I cleared the debt on the account but it still shows as a default on my credit history. Would this disqualify me from service? the only other information i've been able to gleen is that you can't have either a CCJ or IVA and still join.

Cheers

Owning shotguns in the UK!

Listening to a pgm on the "wireless" over here last week.

In the Republic a license is given for each gun owned, in the Uk a license is given for the owner of a gun or guns. Unless it has changed ????

Remember many moons ago when I strayed from the path and was caught twice for poaching. Second time I was told I had to sell my gun not that it was being used of course. No problem I had another two guns at home.

How many guns are you allowed these days??

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
Instead of just having a certificate to posses shotguns as was the case a few years ago, now a days the serial number for each gun is entered on the certificate.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Michigan said:
Hello gents i have a bit of a tough question for you. I don't have any criminal record IVA (just googled that today) or CCJ, however I did default on my bank overdraft ( found that out today as well :cry: ) and had my account closed. As soon as i found out this happened I cleared the debt on the account but it still shows as a default on my credit history. Would this disqualify me from service? the only other information i've been able to gleen is that you can't have either a CCJ or IVA and still join.

Cheers

As long as you have addressed the defaulted payment, rather than ignored it, as indeed you have, then it should not present a problem with regard your security clearance.

geoffers

Badgeman
Yeah I've been looking into that too, Not been declared Bankrupt, no CCJs or IVAs but have defaulted and am in the process of repaying the money. I know it stops me considering 5,6 or GCHQ.

I think its a case of answering honestly and if they need clarification on the matter then they will interview you. From my understanding the usual rule of thumb is that if you cannot use your service salary to maintain your living, then they will not allow you to join.

Michigan

Thanks Ninja, you have once again set my mind at ease. I was having a bad enough day as it was without all my plans going out the window as well. It is an intresting question you raise Geoffers, considering GCHQ and the intelligence branchs undoubtedly have more stringent security checks. you could probably add the submarine service to that list, but talk to stoker first as that is an assumption on my part. however if you clear your debt instead of simply satisfying it, it should be removed from your credit history in 3 to 6 years.

Rum-dooer

Midshipman
Ive applied for the Boats[subs]. Ive got a few niggly debts but none of them are ignored and im paying them back.

I have an unspent driving conviction for speeding which runs out 2011. It went to court and I receieved a 28 day ban and £170 fine. Does anyone know if this restricts me from joining?

Pursuit21

Hello all,

I'm new to the site and after some opinions on my current situation.

I've got an unspent conviction against me at the moment for a public order offence when I was 19, and its scuppered the opportunity for me to join the RM's for 3 years until it becomes unspent.

I wondered if there is any system available to me to get a pardon from the conviction? It's weighing me down in all aspects of life and I have truely learnt the hard way. For that I must admit I have matured and changed as a person on the whole and only want to move forward in life. It's a 5 year rehabilitation order after serving community service for the offence.

Because I was told I was barred from entry to the navy, I went to my local AFCO today and after a general chat with one of the careers advisors he accepted my application into the British Army. I've came away and I'm really torn into what decision to make, I do need to start my career as there isn't anything available to me in my local area, but I really want to be an RM. If I was to go into the British Army I would possbly go for the Parachute Regiment and try and get in there.

What should I do? Wait for my ban to finish and train hard for 3 years? or get the ball rolling with the British Army. I am very pleased that they have given me a chance and life-line to at least prove myself. I really do want to be a Royal Marine over any other corps or regiment in the forces.

I don't know what to do.

Pursuit21

StixJimboRM said:
My opinion ... wait the 3 years, train like fcuk, get yourself sorted, then join the Corps. Two reasons for this; firstly you'll be in the job that you want to be in and never have to wonder 'what if?'; second it'll possibly look good for you in the future as it will show that you are mega serious about the Corps.

By way of an aside, have you looked into the RMR or do the same rules apply (I have to admit I am clueless on that one)

Best of British to you mate

I think it's a complete ban from all Naval services. Even the TA won't look at me until spent. I was reallly surprised when the British Army accepted my application. In all fairness I do respect the Royal Navy's process, I know there is lots of convicted people out there who won't learn from mistakes so I think its great they have the structure there over convictions. After all I myself wouldn't want to mix with some of the lads I mixed with on Community Service in the forces, there's some real idiots about. I have made a mistake in life and Il suffer because of it, but in all fairness its made me a better person.

leic

Midshipman
Seems like eventually you will have the best of both worlds...look at it this way you have time to go into the army and in a few years will then no with life experiences if the RM are what you want, I no from my experiences take what you can because you don't get many chances in life to make something of yourself. Some will say wait the time but if you do who knows what will happen in civvy life, like you got in some trouble with the law...make life easier and do something with your life while your young even if its the Army...it will stand you in good stead for the greatest force on the planet (Royal Marines)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Home Secretary appoints former Chief Constable to support police recruitment MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Civil/crime news: recruitment launch for Legal Aid Review Panel MoD News 0
G Recruitment for Weapons Engineer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 30
MoD_RSS New recruitment drive to help 10,000 people with serious mental illness MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Recruitment of independent members to ACOBA MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 100,000 apply to join police in first year of recruitment drive MoD News 0
B Aircraft handler recruitment Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
MoD_RSS New recruitment campaign for Windrush independent adviser MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Recruitment campaign launches for inaugural Chair of new environment watchdog MoD News 0
MoD_RSS More than 4,000 extra police officers to fight crime as recruitment continues MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Attorney General launches recruitment campaign for new Chief Inspector MoD News 0
MoD_RSS APHA launches recruitment campaign for plant health inspectors MoD News 0
S How are recruitment tests marked? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
MoD_RSS Third record-breaking year for GP trainee recruitment MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Recruitment director ban after £150k bonus prior to liquidation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Recruitment starts for new EHRC Chair and board members MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Green light for COVID-19 trial recruitment MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Parole Board Chief Executive's blog - June 2020 recruitment MoD News 0
MoD_RSS MHRA suspends recruitment to COVID-19 hydroxychloroquine trials MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Parole Board launches member recruitment campaign MoD News 0
MoD_RSS More than 3,000 extra officers join police in recruitment drive MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Recruitment for Independent Reviewer of Prevent launched MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Adult social care recruitment care campaign launched to boost workforce MoD News 0
L Recruitment & Coronavirus Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
MoD_RSS Sellafield Ltd Apprentice Recruitment MoD News 0
Q What is the current status on recruitment Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 18
MoD_RSS New service allows DBS to respond quicker to recruitment requests during COVID-19 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Coronavirus (COVID-19): letter from the Minister of State for Care to recruitment agencies MoD News 0
K Officer Recruitment rejected because of GCSEs? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 26
MoD_RSS National recruitment campaign for paramedics, radiographers and nurses begins MoD News 0
K Air engineering technician recruitment phase Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
G Recruitment test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15
R Recruitment tes Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
soleil FB: RN Recruitment - An Insight Into The Medical Assistant (Submariner) Role Submariners 0
J Currently in the recruitment process (FAA Pilot application) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
M Medical Technician recruitment RFA 0
soleil FB: RN Recruitment - "Behind The Scenes Of A Submarine" Submariners 9
C Failed recruitment eye test Joining the Royal Navy 1
B RFA Recruitment Questions Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
N Recruitment development weekend & NMT100 Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 2
MoD_RSS Next phase of adult social care recruitment campaign begins MoD News 0
B Royal Navy recruitment Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
MoD_RSS Teacher Recruitment Bulletin MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Circular 007/2019: Eyesight standards, police recruitment MoD News 0
Random New RFA Recruitment videos RFA 3
MoD_RSS Agency appointed to support recruitment of legal professionals for research MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Prime Minister launches police recruitment drive MoD News 0
S No diver recruitment?? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
MoD_RSS New recruitment drive for Team Tempest MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Government acts urgently to protect judicial recruitment MoD News 0