Recruitment - Convictions that automatically disqualify

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by thingy, Oct 18, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. In view of a number of questions that arise from time to time on RR, I thought the following reply to a Parliamentary Question might be of interest.

Armed Forces: Recruitment

HL Hansard: 16 Oct 07, Col 40W.

Lord Avebury asked Her Majesty's Government:

What restrictions are imposed by the Armed Forces on past offenders who wish to join up; and where potential recruits can access this information on the internet.

The Minister of State, Ministry of Defence & Department for Business, Enterprise and Regulatory Reform (Lord Drayson):

Applicants with the following convictions are not to be considered for the Armed Forces:

hospital order;

offences involving loss of life;

sexual offences (including all those listed on the sex offenders register);

arson;

misuse of drugs—any offence relating to trafficking or supply of drugs; any offence relating to the use of class A drugs;

and more than one conviction for “possession for personal use†of a class B or C drug; and .three or more offences against persons, property, or dishonesty.

In assessing applications for the Armed Forces, all three services' recruiting organisations are guided by the provisions of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (ROA) 1974. In general, therefore, no applicant for the Armed Forces is eligible if they have convictions which are “unspentâ€. In the vast majority of cases such applicants are required to serve their full “rehabilitation periodâ€, reckoned from the date of conviction, before being considered for Armed Forces employment.

During the application process individuals are handed a copy of MoD Form 493—Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974: Advice to Applicants to HM Armed Forces, which details obligations to declare spent or unspent civil convictions and lists the rehabilitation periods appropriate to the sentence. Reference to MoD Form 493 is made on the Armed Forces Application Form Information and Guidance Booklet (AFCO Form 5). Inquirers and potential applicants can access information on ROA through the internet via the following link at www.lawontheweb.co.uk/rehabact.htm

They can also access internet details via the following services' career websites at:

www.royal-navy.mod.uk/server/show/nav.6113/

www.army.mod.uk/

and follow the link to online careers office where they will receive advice and how it applies to them in relation to their interest in the Army at:

www.raf.mod.uk/careers/faqs.cfm/ under the heading “Will I be able to join if I have a criminal conviction?â.

2. Good spot - that'll help answer a few questions on here last month.

Hope Ninja picks it up and puts a sticky on it for Newbies

3. So if you're a sexual deviant you can't join?

Christ, those AFCO's aren't scrutinising very closely are they?

4. There are plenty of sexual deviants in already - as well evidenced on this site - but we have the ones who have slipped through the net so far !!

5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Me & the minister must be reading the same book!

6. I love this one...

3. Logistic branch candidates are not eligible for entry if they have any unspent criminal convictions for Dishonesty.

Day one week one at WTR's school. Repeat after me:

"It's Centurion's fault, You'll probably get a mid-monthly..."

7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Or, "Sorry we close in the afternoons for admin!" :thumright:

8. Had a quick dit from the Prince's Trust a few months back when it was suggested that the armed forces should really re-consider its view on past offending and let 'Dave ex smack addict, joy riding granny basher' join up and give him a second chance.

Dont you just love em?...cnuts!

9. Why not MAKE them join before they become Dave ex smack addict..... then perhaps they wouldn't become Dave ex smack addict.....

10. Because in most cases they would have to join up at 10, which I believe is under the minimum age for joining the Armed Services, however looking at some of the aircrew walking about, there does seem to be a loop hole which allows you to do this.

11. I see there are a couple of threads about criminal convictions and the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act on here but my query, I'll post it on this thread to save bandwidth.

Do you have a criminal record if you are taken to court and fount “Not Guilty.†by a jury, and do I have to declare it??

12. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Ahadoo: A criminal record is obtained based on convictions, so if you have been found "Not Guilty" then you have not been convicted, thus no CR. However if you have been investigated for an alleged offence then your details will have been entered on the Police National Computer (PNC) and you will be listed as 'known'. However as you are 'innocent until proven guilty' then you have nothing to worry about. But if you are under investigation when applying to join the Armed Forces then you should declare it to your AFCO.

13. Blimey SPB, only just got t'internet back since summer and I've noticed that you've got more medals than Idi Amin :laughing8:

stab (running for cover)

14. sgtpepperband

You gotta be in it to win it... :thumright:

15. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Just to throw a spanner in the works here, I heard one of the lads that killed James Bulger was going to join up....not saying he has.......Is this possible?

16. Cheers for that Sgt, filling in the forms and it caught me out.

It was a long time a go and I have never been in trouble since, well caught anyway :whew: :lol:

17. sgtpepperband

WB: Heard it in the NAAFI queue right?! As both of the offenders in the JB case were released under new assumed identities, it is possible that they are eligible to join, but unlikely that anyone who know either way, apart from their rehabilitation/social workers.

18. sgtpepperband

Don't worry about it - we've all been there! :oops: :thumright:

19. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Long time since I've queued for chicken and ham pie, dollup of brown sauce and a pint of milk.

I think I heard it via a newspaper, got me thinking as they were both minors at the time do those (serious) crimes carry forward to when your an adult?

20. I would imagine their assumed id's would flash up on the DVA database when their security forms went through. Also IIRC you have to put any other names used, if they didn't (bearing in mind its HMG) then their applications would get rejected anyway.

SPB so does that mean you are also the Last King of Scotland :brave:

stab