Recruiting opportunity?

Uumm let me think, join the mob, get paid well, or go pro footballer and get a bit more?

Well done the young uns

Getting a bit more dosh as a pro footballer might be attractive for these young men, but that route is also uncertain and definitely time-limited. In the meanwhile, we could perhaps involve lateral thinking.

Involving these young men in some way with the RN could benefit the Service and also provide a role model for other youngsters.

The RN - and the other Services - already take advantage of high-profile personalities by awarding honorary commissions.

I'm not suggesting in any way that the U17 team are made instant honorary officers, but it does seem that the system appreciates the potential benefit of high-profile people being involved with the Services.

Could there be a way of recognizing these youngsters' success which could be to the advantage of the RN? Inviting the U17 team to play the RN's soccer team? Or invite them to "join up for a day" at Raleigh? Or CTCRM?

Whatever, do so before the Army or the RAF does!

Over to the recruiters. Ninja's thoughts?

Your comment is potentially subject to the diversity regulations if you are suggesting that there is something wrong with being pissed.

But to answer your question factually, no.

Mrs Wightsparker would, of course, answer "yes" on my behalf should you ask her.

All I was asking is that someone on the recruiting side could look at taking advantage of the U17s' success!

Like sign them up for a few days just before the next interservice soccer matches? Sneaky, I think the Crabs & the Pongo's will smell a rat?

What I gleaned from the TV coverage of the match was that most(if not all) of these young thrusters have already had their potential spotted by the big football clubs and I doubt they'll have their heads turned by the chance to wear a pusser's blue suit when the chance to be a millionair looms on the horizon.

What I gleaned from the TV coverage of the match was that most(if not all) of these young thrusters have already had their potential spotted by the big football clubs and I doubt they'll have their heads turned by the chance to wear a pusser's blue suit when the chance to be a millionair looms on the horizon.

Totally understand.
But why can't our recruiters, or our PR people, look at the possibility of using an opportunity to attract potential recruits of the right age group? Invite the team to play a match against the RN, invite them to be special guests visiting HMS Queen Elizabeth? Role models?
Play a game on the bloody flight deck, for f**k's sake - the RN's own publicity says it is the equivalent of three football pitches!
At least try to take advantage of this success.
Ninja. Can you speak to your people?

Spare_Rib

Lantern Swinger
@Ninja_Stoker - I’d be interested to know whether you think something like this gives a tangible recruiting boost? Can you even measure such an effect? I heard a lot of numbers thrown around after ‘Royal Navy School’ and the number of EoIs it attracted, so I’m guessing it is measured in some way?

Edited to add: I don’t think there’s such a thing as the ‘right age’ to join up right now, beggars can’t be choosers.....;)