Recruiters Uniform?

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by Maxi_77, Jun 19, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I saw a young lady sitting at the bus stop as I was going into work. She was wearing DPM trousers and a blue polo shirt with a logo stating Royal Navy Recruitment. No hat. I know I am a bit out of date on uniforms but I have never seen one like that before.
  2. Hats seem to have become optional for personnel of all the services when in public!
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Yep, the problem with wearing 3C's in public is the brand identity is not clearly defined, much the same as Royal Marines get mistaken for Army, even if you wear a cap.

Frankly unless you have Royal Navy shoulder tabs, you are often confused with HMRC (Customs Officers), RNLI, Bus Drivers, Security Guards, Police and suchlike. Likewise RN Firefighting Teams during the fireman's strike were nearly always referred to as "Army".

In order to get a bit of product placement in public prominance we (RN & RM) often wear Polo shirts with big daft letters for the hard of hearing, proclaiming Royal Navy or Royal Marines Commando on the back. Likewise we get issued foul-weather jackets similarly adorned

However, where formal attire is appropriate, it is worn as directed by the Regional Recruiting Officers. I'd bet you a year's wage I wear my Number Ones dozens of times more than the average matelot serving on a ship in Base Port area.

It's all to do with marketing, sometimes formal attire makes young people reluctant to engage in conversation as it is perceived as too authoritarian.

In short, we can't win as we get duffers moaning about dress standards, but we aren't there to appease traditionalists, the name of the game is recruitment.
  4. Thank you NS, I was enquiring rather than trying to criticise. I can fully understanf the branding problem, many moons ago I had an office on Kyle station, and my Chief got rather frustrated by the number of requests for railway information.

That still does not explain the DPM breeks which would perhaps add to confusion, bottom half pongo, top half Jenny Wren.
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Must admit, I can't quite understand the CS95 trousers, but then I could never quite understand why temperate climate camouflage was worn on a grey warship surrounded by concrete in a dockyard. :thumright:

6. Hello Ninja - slightly off topic and not strictly uniform but the state of the recruiting office in Brighton (at least when I last passed it) is enough to put anyone off entering.
    It is really grimey with dust and dirty windows; there is even the remains of paint someone hurled at it years ago.
    Probably not within your influence but the appearance is not doing a favour to any of the services, it looks really down at heel.
    Ye gods! It is not even wearing a hat..
  7. Ninja_Stoker

Good points.

Most AFCOs are actually sponsored by individual lead services with regard "ownership" and running costs which include upkeep/cleaning, decor, etc.

Not sure who "owns" Brighton, but doubtless 'abject poverty' would be cited as a reason for cosmetic dilapidation.

It's a bit of a difficult one really as we should project a spick & span appearance granted, however if an AFCO looks "flash" then people would rightly ask why money is being siphoned off when it's needed elsewhere.
  8. I agree with you about the Brighton Office. It is also quite hard to find if you don't know Brighton. You wouldn't really notice it if you were passing by either.

I was actually invited there rather than actually strolling past and happened to walk in but even then it was a little bit of a shock. There is a massive contrast going inside though. I think they have done pretty well with the waiting area.
  9. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Recruiter...Good morning young man/lady, your first test is to see how you cope with washing down exterior paintwork and cleaning windows...
  10. Ninja_Stoker

What a jolly good idea!