Recruit Tests

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Winston_Turtle, Oct 22, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello to all,

I'm currently applying to the Royal Navy for Aircrew Officer and have recently received a phone call from my local AFCO, asking me to attend a set of tests early next week. I am just wondering if anyone else has sat these tests, what they thought of them and what topics they cover? And also what bearing they will have on my application?

The reason for asking is that a good friend of mine has just been through the same application and has got a place at Dartmouth, but when i contacted him regarding the tests he said he'd never taken any! I expect it's just a new thing that's been put in place so i'm just looking to get a heads up :thanks:

Any information would be much appreciated, thanks.
  2. Its a test, so that eventually all potential officers will sit the RT, so as not to send candidates to the expensive AIB [train fares and accomodation] who are unlikely to pass the AIB.

They will then compare pass rate at AIB to score in the RT, and in future you will need to get "x" in the RT to go forward to AIB.

I sat it, it is the same as the standard RT, and currently has no bearing on your chances at AIB or beyond.
  3. I notice Ninja is lurking so you will probably get a top notch answer shortly.

Meanwhile... has a bit more info.

The tests are standard and have been about a long time, your friend should have taken them, if you passed your GCSEs you shouldnt have a problem with them
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Other than there is now a pass/fail score in the Maths & English elements. You need to aim on getting around 2/3rds correct to be forwarded for AIB.

If you fail to reach this standard, you must wait 12 months before you may re-apply under normal circumstances.

Good luck.
  5. Changed already? I was told I could get 0 and still trot along my way to AIB! Best of Luck in that case!
  6. Ninja_Stoker

Yep, it only came about for new applicants with effect from September 2007!

Already, it's surprising how many educationally qualified for Officer are not quite making the grade, so it seems to be a good coarse filter.
  7. So what is it then?

Is the recruit test the same test sat by ratings applicants at the AFCO, or something different?
  8. Ninja_Stoker

It's exactly the same test that Ratings have taken since 1943.

Potential Officers now have to pass the same test, although the pass/fail criteria is different, so it is therefore unrealistic & impractical to try and compare.
  9. In what respect is the criteria different? I did the test for ratings a few years ago, and i recall different marks gave you eligibility for different branches, would this be similar for Potential Officer candidates, but at different marks?
  10. The RT is a very good test. I looked through my contemporaries test results after about 21 years in service. The results corresponded with the person's attainments. 56 years on this still holds true.

11. Ninja_Stoker

The Ratings pass marks vary for each trade. There is an overall minimum mark and sometimes nominated minimum marks (part scores) in Reasoning, Literacy & Numeracy as well. In Maths & English, regardless of trade there is a minimum score for all trades.

For Officers, it's the same test, but there's no overall pass/fail mark, just minimum part scores in numeracy & literacy.
  12. Many thanks for the info,

had my tests today and passed so i'm on to the next stage :)

thanks again and good luck to anyone else who's got them soon.