Recruit Test - Mechanical Comprehension

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Lewis1990, Jun 3, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello

I was wondering if anybody that has taken the Recruit Test knows what sort of questions come up in the mechanical section? Does this section include electrical comprehension i.e. ohms law and resistance?

Thank you

Lewis

2. No, its not as complicated as that. If I remember rightly, the questions were exactly like the practice book they give you, just slightly harder (but still the same types of question as the practice book).

Hope that helps!

3. Thank you Marshmallow. AFCO called me today and asked me if I wanted a cancelled RT this Thursday. So I rather naively said yes!

4. You will be fine, try practising answering things quickly as time will be the challenge in the test and being confident answering them quickly will help you no end. I found it useful to leave those i was unsure of and go back to them at the end as well, i cant remember what the mechanical part was about really- but i did alright and the other day i learnt the impliment i have believed all my life to be a spanner is actually a screwdriver. And i passed with a good score so im sure you'll be alreet!

5. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Rachel, please tell me you're not going to be a stoker!!!!:sad3:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The mechanical comprehension section does catch a few out, particularly potential officers, engineering technicians and potential Royal Marines. The practice test booklet (available from your AFCO, or downloadable on the RN website) is entirely representative - but only if you practice against the clock. BBC bitesize GCSE physics helps and understanding electrical circuit symbology, levers, pulleys & gears certainly helps. The key is not to underestimate the test and practice against the clock in earnest.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Thankfully for the ships nope! :D i was proud of myself for doing well in that part though as i don't really have a clue, but hard work and preperation paid off. Still not confident being let loose in a toolbox mind.

• Like Like x 1
  8. I know a few technical rates who should never be let loose near toolboxes, mostly WE, and officers (ME or WE) should never even be shown one.

9. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Indeed wrecks. We've all had them; "tweakers" in the wardroom. Just ******* leave it alone!!!!!!!

• Like Like x 2
  10. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

This might help you out,