Record query

Discussion in 'History' started by janner, May 21, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

I've been asked what the draft Dolphin Group D on the attached means, any useful ideas

Attached Files:

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The guy seems to have served on HMS Dolphin, the depot ship, which later became a training ship in Leith, transferring the name to the Submarine Base HMS Dolphin in 1925. I'm wondering if he served as an A/PO in the new base as ships company - possibly then called 'Depot Group' or D Group. Probably wrong, but hopefully it'll stimulate other contributions.

• Like Like x 1
  3. A possible connection?

Reserve Submarine Flotilla.

Group A - OBERON (comp 24 Sep 26), OTWAY (15 Jun 27), OXLEY (1 Apr 27)
    Group B - OSIRIS (11 Dec 28), OSWALD (1 Mar 29)
    Group D - H.34 (10 Sep 19), H.44 (15 Apr 20), H.49 (25 Oct 19)

H-34
    [​IMG]

HM Submarine H-34
    Launched 5 November 1918
    This submarine was deployed in Home Waters for training purposes throughout WW2
    Sold for breaking up July 1945

H-44
    [​IMG]

HM Submarine H-44
    HMS H44 was an H-class submarine of the Royal Navy. She was built by Armstrong Whitworth and launched on 17 February 1919. She served in the Second World War. It had a complement of twenty-two crew members.

H-49

[​IMG]

HM Submarine H-49
    Sailed from Harwich on 17th October 1940.
    Lost.
    Depth charged by German anti-submarine vessels of the 11th Anti-submarine Flotilla, off Texel, Holland, 18th October 1940.
    One survivor, Leading Stoker G. W. Oliver was rescued and landed in Holland from where he was moved to Wilhelmshaven.
    From Wilhelmshaven he was taken to a Polish POW camp at Thorn, after two years at Thorn he was transferred to a POW camp in Germany.
    The wreck of H49 was discovered in 1984 by a Dutch diver.
    The wreck is considered to be a war grave.

Last edited: May 21, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Thanks BNM, I've sent your suggestion off to the chap that made the enquiry. I looks good to me, I remember from somewhere that they had a reserve group of Boats after WW2 and the spare crew lads used to take different Boats out at different times to keep them operational. Not a job I would have wanted.

5. HTH.jpg

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Not sure if this adds anything, but my father trained on H44 before being posted to HMS Subtle.

Martin