Recommended reading lists

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Guns, Aug 22, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

All the rage on ARRSE but wanted a more maritime flavour.

Happy for anything you think would be of use. And no this is not just some officer thing, what could we be asking our junior rates, potential LH and beyond to read to stimulate and inform them.

For all I would say On Killing and On Combat by Dave Grossman. If your business is about killing others (and it is the game we are in) it is essential reading.

British Maritime Doctrine, yes I know official but I do think it needs editing again and for it to be in different forms for different readers. A bite sized Doctrine for Dummies to get the grey matter working etc.

Defeat in to Victory - Field Marshal Slims autobiography. Inspired leadership and higher level organisational skills. Should be required reading at BRNC.

Sensible answers please, I can always start a thread in the NAAFI if necessary.
  2. Military Intelligence Blunders - Colonel John Hughes-Wilson (ISBN 1-84119-871-4). Excellent read, and a particularly good section on the Falklands.

The Bear Went Over the Mountain: Soviet Combat Tactics in Afghanistan - Lester W. Grau (0714644137).
  3. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

4. sgtpepperband

Faaaark! How do you delete these posts?! :shock: :oops: :twisted:
  5. The Royal Navy in old Photographs by Wilfred Trotter,
    It has many photos of RN ships from 1849 to 1914 (the first ever photo of a RN vessel)the San Josef,a Spanish first- rate of 112 gun,boarded and captured personality by Commodore Horatio Nelson during the Battle of Cape St Vincent 1797.This period covers the transition from sail to steam and wooden hulls to the Ironclad Dreadnoughts of 1914.

The Blond Knight of Germany a biography of Erich Hartman the Luftwaffe's top ace of WW2 with 352 kill to his name.
    I hope these titles will be of some interest.
  6. The Cruel Sea, natch
    On the Psychology of Military Incompetence - Norman F Dixon
    Sagittarius Rising - Cecil Lewis (bunked off school to join the RFC in 1915, died 1997)
    Standard of Power: the RN in the 20th Century - Dan van der Vat
    Quartered Safe out Here - George Macdonald Fraser
    (and, for how to be a junior officer)
    The Complete McAuslan - GMF
    We Joined the Navy - John Winton
    Memoirs of an Infantry Officer - Seigfried Sassoon
    the 20 Aubrey/Maturin novels - Patrick O'Brien
    Mud, Blood and Poppycock - Gordon Corrigan
    The Wooden World - NAM Rodger
    Maritime Supremacy and the Opening of the Western Mind - Peter Padfield
    Fisher's Face - Jan Morris
    The Battle for the Falkland Islands - Max Hastings (ahem) and Simon Jenkins
    Call for Fire - Cdre Chris Craig (deals with ALACRITY in 82 and his time as SNOME in LONDON during the 1st Gulf War)
    Through Fire and Water: HMS ARDENT, the Forgotten Frigate of the Falklands - Mark Higgett (actually, everyone should read this before they join up, it could do for RN recruitment what the first 20 mins of Saving Private Ryan did for the army; i.e., focus the mind and the sphincter, unputdownable).

And, just because even though it does have whole chapters not dealing with the military it ought to be read by everyone as a general guide to life and living, and was the only book to go through the gates at BRNC with me and onto every ship at the bottom of my grip (possibly why I always found it difficult to take senior officers too seriously):

The Moon's A Balloon, David Niven
  7. One Hundred Days by Admiral Sandy Woodward

(Ghost) Written in an eminently readable and self-effacing way, I guzzled through it in a matter of days.
  8. I think a lot of them need to read BR1066 and BR 1992 :D
  9. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Very Ordinary Seaman, JPW Mallalieu

Wings of the Morning, Ian Cameron

Sub Lieutenant, Ludovic Kennedy

Unbroken, Alastair Mars

One of our Submarines, Edward Young

To Sea in a Sieve, Peter Bull

In Harm's Way, Geoffrey Hobday

Landsman Hay, Robert Hay

Recollections, James Anthony Gardiner

Anything by Marryat, Bartimeus, Taffrail or (in lighetr mode) Gilbert Hackforth Jones

I could go on and on ..
  10. It may be helpful to provide the Title, the author and the ISBN-10 if you know it. For the keen among us it would make it a lot easier to purchase online and ensure the correct edition is being sought.

Just an idea chaps.
  11. pretty sure google is your friend on this one, maybe when I get home from work. Should be enough to go on for you if any of 'em were mine...
  12. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Google the title and up it will come plus Amazon refs etc (or try I left out 'The Bosun's Call' by Hugh Willis which proves that fact can be a whole lot funnier than fiction.

Bring Back my Stringbag, by John Godley
  13. It must just be an Army thing then, but when we are provided with our pre-deployment reading lists it doesn't suggest google at all.
  14. Chr*st that was quick - see my edited version, cross-posted
  15. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

On Combat - Lt Col Dave Grossman - ISBN 978-0-9649205-2-1
    On Killing - Lt Col Dave Grossman - ISBN 0-316-33011-6

As mentioned above very good books, if with a US slant on the Warrior Code aspect. Author is a former Ranger and Paratrooper who taught psychology at West Point. Currently a Prof of Military Science

D-Day - Antony Beevor - ISBN 978-0-670-88703-3
    Berlin - Same - ISBN 978-0-141-03239-9
    Stalingrad - Same - ISBN 978-0-141-03240-5

Well researched books on 3 major parts of the WWII campaigns. For those of us sheltered in modern life and the slow sanitisation of warfare these books open up to our generation the absolute horror of total war.

Amphibious Assault - Manoeuvre from the Sea - Editor Lt Cdr T Lovering RN No ISBN but was issued by Fleet Graphics. Was issued to all RM officers and I got my copy from a course I attended. Historical accounts of amphibious operations with many of the chapter authors being lectures at JSCSC and other well renewed in their fields.

For those like me who struggle with big words

The Complete Plain Words by Sir Ernest Gowers ISBN 0-11-701121-5. Guidance on using plain english when writing
  16. sgtpepperband

Is it illustr... illustriou... illtrat... has it got picture in it? 8O :D
  17. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

It has colour crayon pictures by Lt Cdr Guns aged 30 and 3285 days old.
  18. This book used to be on the pre-SDOGC reading list for Greenwich - it's not exactly a rivetting read but it's very useful (it was still better than "The Catcher in The Rye" - allegedly a literary classic but probably the worst book I've ever been told to read).
  19. 'Engage The Enemy More Closely' by Correlli Barnett.
  20. Pat Barker's WW1 trilogy
    Regeneration,The Eye in the Door and The Ghost Road.
    If you like reading Siegfried Sassoon and Wilfred Owen you will enjoy them,the first part is set in the military hospital at Craiglockhart where both were treated,Robert Graves also gets a mention.