Recommended Book's on RN or USN Submarine's during the cold war

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by bacon28, Sep 28, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I looking at reading a book on the role of RN Submarine's during the cold war,any recommendation's,i thought about blind man's bluff or we come unseen,are these worth a read?...

2. Just bought a new book "Hunter Killers" RN boats through the Cold War....not read it yet. Waterstones stock it.

3. Down the Hatch by John Winton. No 'Crazy Ivans' but it's meant to be a realistic portrayal and should still knock you off your seat.

4. If you ask in your local library they can search the catalogue of books on the topic.

5. ...............Blind Mans Bluff is very good but it's 95% elmer!

6. Also by the same author, The Fighting Temeraire if you can find it, I don't think it is still in print.

7. Yes, 'Down the Hatch' for humour and 'The Fighting Temeraire' for drama. Great combination. The latter is still available here.

8. If you want a good WW2 read, the book about U-Boats "Iron Coffins" by Herbert Werner is excellent.

9. i read that excellent book...i also recommend SEA WOLVES by TIM CLAYTON....i think i will try blind mans bluff,it seem's there is very little reguarding the British Submarine Service during the cold war however..

10. I too have read Iron Coffins and Sea Wolves; both excellent. T
    he problem is that they all get killed in the end.

11. Thanks for that.

12. Hunter Killers by Iain Ballantyne.

13. I am half way through Hunter Killer, from my time in boats, both DB's SSBN's and SSN's. It is accurate, and very scarey, I had forgotten half of what we got up to, this book has brought it all back. Her indoors is passing, sais she would rather not know what happened. But she does agree on the awful smells I brought home with me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. That Panda book by Lynne Truss cannot possibly be true; it's in black and white.

15. Cant remember the name, but the book about the Russians taking out a yank attack boat in retaliation for what they said was a the yanks involvement in the loss of one of theirs, not a bad read, true or not

16. Oooh! Get her.