Reclain your Bank Charges

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by The_Caretaker, Feb 23, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. For anyone who has been charged fee's by banks ( other than interest ) a lot of people may have heard about folks claiming back bank charges. Usually a bank might refund one fee as a goodwill gesture but you can claim back almost 100 5 of bank fee's.

Some adverts have started appearing from companies charging to do it for you .. dont pay them you can do it yourself.

all you need is your bank statements and thats it. You total your charges and write to your bank.

The following website gives you the exact letter template along with support forums of how to do it all.

so far I have reclaimed in full £465 without any ahssle whatsoever. you can claim back the past 6 years charges. the entire process can take 2 weeks if your lucky though on average it can take a total of about 7 or 8 weeks. Most people only need to send one simple letter ( which the website gives you ) or sometimes a second reminder letter again the website gives yout his too !

Heres the link :

http://tinyurl.com/zl4tg

2. Better still keep your account in order and you don't get any charges!

3. Very hepful Caretaker to all those who unlike sanctimonious Slim haven't benn f***ing perfect for the last seven years!

4. the_matelot

the_matelot War Hero Moderator

I agree with Slim. Keep your affairs in order and you won't have a problem.

However, please be aware that if you do go down the road of claiming back bank charges, don't be surprised when your bank closes your account citing reasons along the line of 'our differences mean that we no longer can provide a service'. It has happened several times already.

5. Sorry F169
    Like the reformed smoker there's no so pure than the purified. 20 years ago I used to go into the red and overspend. I saw the light and realised that all I was doing was spending money I didn't have on things that I didn't need. I paid of my debts looked carefully at my spending and have never looked back. Honestly I'm not being sanctimonious, I would like others though to reap the benefits of me experiences.

6. Slim I am in the same boat, just never considered rubbing less fortunate folks' noses in it.....

7. I am currently recovering money from the bank. Wrote them a letter using the BBC Money Programme template. Bank replied that they will look into it. 2 weeks later nothing heard. Filled out a claim on the HMCS Money Claim website (5 minutes to do) and now I am a claimant at the Small Claims Court. The final straw came when the bank charged me £35 for a payment that had it been paid (they also did not pay it, I was transfering money from 1 account to another, both mine, I put the wrong amount in!) would have taken me 15 pence overdrawn! I am no financial angel, but it does seems so unfair.

8. I've just been advised 'off the record' by my bank manager that I'd be bloody nuts if I didn't try to reclaim 6 years worth of charges. He said it could add up into thousands and although it can be a ball ache waiting for responses, writing letters etc etc, if it does go to court, the banks NEVER turn up to defend themselves! A major high street bank could at any one time have literally hundreds of people taking them to court over fees and it's cheaper for them to just not turn up and have the courts rule in your favour, than it would be for them to send solicitors to every court appearance!

Got to be worth a try I guess?

9. The BBC program on this subject was interesting. Seems that the cost to the bank of sending you the paperwork is about £4.50, and that is being generous. The banks do make large profits but that is their business. So far they have withdrawn from court cases because if they lost it would set a precedent and open a floodgate of claims.
    By all means recover the bank charges where you can, however if being overdrawn on many occasions is happening then you should really be looking at the way you handle your finances.

10. Slim if you don't live life on the edge your taking up too much room.

Overdrafts are for living :lol:

11. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

I believe the reason that they haven't contested any cases yet is that the Law requires charges to be reasonable. Attendance in court would require the banks to reveal the actual costs v's the charges, something they are not prepared to do. Incidentally I have only had 2 bank charges levied against me in the last 10 years, both for sums less than a pound for which they wished to charge me £30, on both occasions I phoned to complain that they were unreasonable and was refunded there and then, I doubt that would happen now if you phoned your bank on Monday.

12. Worth a punt I suppose and if you don't ask, you don't get.

Slim, are you sure you are an ex matelot, as I cannot remember many sailors who have NEVER been overdrawn, even if only by a small amount.

Either that, or you never went ashore, bought clothes, gizzits, laundry or had a bar bill. :)

13. Never had an overdraft or gone into the red. I did though at one stage go through a period of having rather too much on my credit card. That took a bit of sorting out and was done by using some of ny gratuity when I left. From that time my credit card is paid off in full at the end of each month.