Recent FIOIA request

“In the recent expose about Cadet abuse, to date what total compensation has been paid to cadets, whether highlighted in the programme or not, how many individual cases does this cover. How many cases are pending? Has a contingency fund been implemented, could you provide details. What are your legal costs to date”. I am treating your correspondence as a request for information under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 (FOIA). Contracted commercial claims handling companies handle various categories of claim brought against MOD, including those relating to alleged sexual abuse/assault of cadets. According to our records, and those of our contracted handlers, since May 2007, when such claims were recorded in a manner to enable them to be easily identifiable, 35 claims for damages have been brought against MOD by cadets/former cadets for alleged sexual abuse/assault. Of these, 20 have been settled, and 15 are pending while investigations into the allegations are underway. During the period in question, approximately £2.1M has been paid in compensation. Associated legal costs are about £756K.

Seadog

War Hero
How about some paragraphs, a link or a scan -with the requester's name redacted if you wish?

Some comment from you as the OP would be nice. Take 'ownership' of the thread that you started.

Why you think that a forum where people can share experiences of the RN and life inside and out of it is the place for a FOIA request I do not know. All on here contribute freely and always with sensitivity around military matters particularly personnel matters.

If you wish to make a FOIA request I would recommend you go to the RN or MOD themselves. This is not the place to do it.

Seadog

War Hero
Why you think that a forum where people can share experiences of the RN and life inside and out of it is the place for a FOIA request I do not know. All on here contribute freely and always with sensitivity around military matters particularly personnel matters.

If you wish to make a FOIA request I would recommend you go to the RN or MOD themselves. This is not the place to do it.
Are you talking to me?

I have no problem with the posting of FOIs, I'd just like to know where the request ends and the answer begins and some input - to generate discussion - is good. A link to the original communique is helpful and sometimes moderators insist on one.

How about some paragraphs, a link or a scan -with the requester's name redacted if you wish?

Some comment from you as the OP would be nice. Take 'ownership' of the thread that you started.
Good advice. I've read the original post several times and can't work out if it is a convoluted request for information or a reply to a request.

Not my request but one clearly made by someone concerned.
MOD FOI2017/04562 11th May 2017
Navy Command FOI Section MP1-4 Leach Building Whale Island.
These are facts that should not be ignored notwithstanding the good that others do.

Publication scheme - Ministry of Defence - GOV.UK
https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/ministry-of.../publication-scheme
Ministry of Defence publication scheme; MOD FOI publication scheme guide to .... Personal data is not generally available under the Freedom of Information Act.
Ministry of Defence ... · ‎MOD FOI publication ... · ‎How to make an official ...

Publication scheme - Ministry of Defence - GOV.UK
https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/ministry-of.../publication-scheme
Ministry of Defence publication scheme; MOD FOI publication scheme guide to .... Personal data is not generally available under the Freedom of Information Act.
Ministry of Defence ... · ‎MOD FOI publication ... · ‎How to make an official ...

Sorry, but without spending time and effort in trying to work through the information you have provided I'm no wiser.

Sorry, but without spending time and effort in trying to work through the information you have provided I'm no wiser.
I'm sorry but the MOD FOIA site allows me to send the email reply in question but to PDF which then prevents me from sending it to you. I can copy it but not send it on.
If you Google MOD FOIA it will take you to their site where you can read some quite alarming replies .

Seadog

War Hero
It has to be said that some FOI requests are mischevious, shit stirring, boring, how many admirals v how many ships stuff.

Some of the answers should read, "let me Google that for you".

@robert2 , like Wightsparker, I can't find the Q&A you refer to. Maybe I need someone to Google it for me.

It has to be said that some FOI requests are mischevious, shit stirring, boring, how many admirals v how many ships stuff.

@robert2 , like Wightsparker, I can't find the Q&A you refer to. Maybe I need someone to Google it for me.

Ministry
of Defence

Publication scheme

Each government department has a publication scheme, which makes information available to the public about how it operates and how it spends its budget.

Contents
  1. Ministry of Defence publication scheme
  2. MOD FOI publication scheme guide to information
  3. Information not already published
  4. How to make an official request for Information
  5. Requests for personal data and Service records
  6. Disclosure on request
  7. How to complain if you are unhappy with the handling of your requests
You don’t need to make a Freedom of Information (FOI) request for these and can find information by searching for documents in either FOI releases or publications on this website.

Ministry of Defence publication scheme
There are a variety of ways members of the public can obtain information from the Ministry of Defence. Some information is released proactively and can be accessed through this website, while other categories of information are only available on request. If you need information in an alternative format, we will do all we reasonably can to help.

Our publication scheme follows the Information Commissioner’s model publication scheme for public authorities. It covers the following parts of the MOD:

MOD appeals procedure
PDF, 13.7KB, 2 pages

If you would like to provide feedback, good or bad, about the MODpublication scheme, or have a specific complaint, please contact the Information Systems and Services (ISS) Strategy, Policy and Practice Information Rights Operations team as follows:

MOD Information Rights team
Ground floor, zone D
Main Building
Whitehall
London SW1A 2HB

Email: [email protected]

A lot of them are puerile but some interesting replies from the MOD are worth reading.

Last edited:

wave_dodger

MIA
Book Reviewer
Not my request but one clearly made by someone concerned.
MOD FOI2017/04562 11th May 2017
Navy Command FOI Section MP1-4 Leach Building Whale Island.
These are facts that should not be ignored notwithstanding the good that others do.
Who says the facts are being ignored? You've searched a database, seen headline detail and jumped to a conclusion!

Another way to look at it, is that you get the question you asked answered. The staff effort and cost involved in FOI is ridiculous; another overhead we could/should lose.
Well, not all are answered openly. It seems to me that you get the facts (as best you can) from MOD or read them in the likes of the Tabloids with their biased stamp upon it. I know which I prefer.

Latest Threads