Rear Party Banner Ad

Discussion in 'Site Issues' started by Seadog, Aug 24, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

The banner ad for 'Rear Party-the site for those Her Majesty forgets' is unfair to HM. HM Government / MoD forgets, but having been at a Royal visit to REMFs and families of those deployed, I can assure you HM and the Windsor family do not.

Perhaps a rethink on the wording, I suggest;

'The site for those the Government and MoD forget'

2. I agree, I remember a speech that HM gave once stating that being a Naval Wife was probably the hardest job in the world - and she should know, I do not think the Windsors would or could ever forget, there again I don't think the MOD or the Government can either...........however much they wish they could!

3. Fair call - something for the 'to do' list!

4. I don't think it feels like anyone remembers when you are stuck in sweaty forces accom ... some of it is sooo vile ...

The medical treatment doled out is pretty poor too ... and lots of people in forces towns really look down on forces families ... not to mention the oficers wives ...

I could go on but I'll stop now and put down covering fire ... (or whatever it is you do) :roll:

5. To state the bleeding obvious - remembering and actually doing anything about it are two different things

6. Seadog

Thanks Bad CO.

Golden Rivet wrote

Officers' wives look down (extra hard) on Forces' families or officers' wives are especially looked down upon by people (civilians) in Forces' towns?

To state the bleeding obvious, you've been drinking.

7. Officers' (and in all fairness, Senior Rates and SNCOs) wives were a significant force multiplier. What happened? Living out, changed social perspective, erosion of the concept of "duty", "class" resentment?

Something else we didn't understand but dismantled anyway?

8. Seadog

If I understand you correctly POL, fair one. Is that what GR is trying to say? GR?

As for what HM can do about it other than 'visits', absolute monarchs went out of fashion here years ago, more's the pity. However, visits by HMTQ, Princess Royal, Prince Charles and especially DoE boost morale. They are after all, a Service family.

(edited for spelling unbecoming)

9. someone else said it far better than I can ...

"’T is well said again,
    And ’t is a kind of good deed to say well:
    And yet words are no deeds."

King Henry VIII. Act iii. Sc. 2.

10. Shakespear also had King Hal say "Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; or close the wall up with our English dead". Rather like Blare's doctrine for holding Basrah?

Here's a funny thing; just checking on my correct spelling of Basrah. Being a lazy sod, I dialled it into Google and, hey Preston! http://www.cheapflights.co.uk/fligh..._Iraq-Basrah&srckeyword=basrah&srctype=search Should one require accommodation; http://www.a1tourism.com/iraq/basrah.html Leave your head with the hairdresser and collect it later?

11. I didn't like the pathetic way way some people seemed to link criticism of services provision with disloyalty to the sovereign.

BBC

:farao:

12. Seems like they weren't too bothered about 'tampax towers'

13. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Agree with the sentiment that some military accommodation is in poor condition - however... it has to be said that a minority of personnel living in service accommodation do not respect their environment in which they and other live, in particular 'trashing' of rooms, damaging smoke alarms, breaking windows, etc.

When the new blocks were built in HMS Nelson I lost count of the numer of reports of mindless criminal damage (i.e. damage clearly caused recklessly, rather than accidentally) by the occupants that my colleagues and I had to investigate, at the expense to the Crown, the occupants and others waiting to live in premium accommodation.

14. No matter what anyone says, I wasn't part of breaking into the male's accomodation next to portsdown (dryad), at night, dressed in trackies with a black bag over my head, covering them in shaving foam, writing on their faces or setting off the fire hose :afro:

15. sgtpepperband

Yes it was... Brazen Hussy told me! 8O :lol:

16. sgtpepperband

Valid link G_R, but there might be a bit of a cross-threaded topic I think; can the Mods sort it out?

:?

MPs condemn 'appalling' barracks