Rear Admiral of the United Kingdom 2001-2007

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by lsadirty, Aug 12, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Came across this title in the TORYGRAPH birthdays section. Ususally, they put in "Rear Admiral xxxx, former C-in-C, Plymouth 1960-62" ot whatever their last big appointment was. Is this an Honorary Title, ie the most senior Rear Admiral on the Navy List, or what ? Never came across the expression before and a bit puzzled by it.
    "Confused of Plymouth".
  2. It is a load of nonsense. Andrew Airmiles is the Commodore in Chief of the FAA Edward who was thrown out of the RM is -Not quite sure but an Admiral of the Royal Fleet Auxilliary
    Or, perhaps merely a Commodore.

Who can explain.
  3. Is this a Norman I see before me ?
  4. In the old days when the Lord High Admiral of the United Kingdom was a person other than the Sovereign, he had deputies known as the Vice Admiral and Rear Admiral of the United Kingdom, both usually full admirals. Later, when the Admiralty was put in commission, the only circumstance in which the Vice Admiral or Rear Admiral would conceivably take over was if the entire Board of Admiralty was killed by a bomb, so these two offices became purely honorary.
  5. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

You carried out the summoning - you mentioned the words "Admirals" - now say "Lt Cdrs" 3 times, spin round in a circle and the reincarnated Norm will start lurching around the room like a zombie!
  6. OMG - I've raised the ghost of Norman past !!!!

From Mrs LSA Dirty: can any of you barstewards explain why I found HIM laid on the front room floor, surrounded by empty bottles of cider, attempting to kicking his own arse, yelling "Mea culpa, mea culpa" and keeping me and half the fecking street awake ??????And whose this mea culpa he never told me about - some foreign bird ?
  7. I knew his brother, REA Culpa..........

8. I'm confused too. There are no Rear Admirals of the United Kingdom in the current Navy List, and as far as I am aware, there won't be in the 2009 list either. As no one has complained, I'm going to let sleeping Admirals lie!
  9. I suspect there is no reference in the Navy List because the post is an office of state within the gift of the Crown rather than an honorary Royal Navy appointment; a bit like Lord Lieutenants and Deputy Lieutenants of counties. From The London Gazette (link):

How long ago was the Admiralty abolished even though there is still an Admiralty Board? 1964, I think.