Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear Admiral of the United Kingdom 2001-2007

lsadirty

War Hero
Came across this title in the TORYGRAPH birthdays section. Ususally, they put in "Rear Admiral xxxx, former C-in-C, Plymouth 1960-62" ot whatever their last big appointment was. Is this an Honorary Title, ie the most senior Rear Admiral on the Navy List, or what ? Never came across the expression before and a bit puzzled by it.
"Confused of Plymouth".
 
lsadirty said:
Came across this title in the TORYGRAPH birthdays section. Ususally, they put in "Rear Admiral xxxx, former C-in-C, Plymouth 1960-62" ot whatever their last big appointment was. Is this an Honorary Title, ie the most senior Rear Admiral on the Navy List, or what ? Never came across the expression before and a bit puzzled by it.
"Confused of Plymouth".
It is a load of nonsense. Andrew Airmiles is the Commodore in Chief of the FAA Edward who was thrown out of the RM is -Not quite sure but an Admiral of the Royal Fleet Auxilliary
Or, perhaps merely a Commodore.

Who can explain.
 

lsadirty

War Hero
phantomflipper said:
lsadirty said:
Came across this title in the TORYGRAPH birthdays section. Ususally, they put in "Rear Admiral xxxx, former C-in-C, Plymouth 1960-62" ot whatever their last big appointment was. Is this an Honorary Title, ie the most senior Rear Admiral on the Navy List, or what ? Never came across the expression before and a bit puzzled by it.
"Confused of Plymouth".
It is a load of nonsense. Andrew Airmiles is the Commodore in Chief of the FAA Edward who was thrown out of the RM is -Not quite sure but an Admiral of the Royal Fleet Auxilliary
Or, perhaps merely a Commodore.

Who can explain.

Is this a Norman I see before me ?
 
In the old days when the Lord High Admiral of the United Kingdom was a person other than the Sovereign, he had deputies known as the Vice Admiral and Rear Admiral of the United Kingdom, both usually full admirals. Later, when the Admiralty was put in commission, the only circumstance in which the Vice Admiral or Rear Admiral would conceivably take over was if the entire Board of Admiralty was killed by a bomb, so these two offices became purely honorary.
 

Purple_twiglet

War Hero
Moderator
You carried out the summoning - you mentioned the words "Admirals" - now say "Lt Cdrs" 3 times, spin round in a circle and the reincarnated Norm will start lurching around the room like a zombie!
 

lsadirty

War Hero
Purple_twiglet said:
You carried out the summoning - you mentioned the words "Admirals" - now say "Lt Cdrs" 3 times, spin round in a circle and the reincarnated Norm will start lurching around the room like a zombie!

OMG - I've raised the ghost of Norman past !!!!

From Mrs LSA Dirty: can any of you barstewards explain why I found HIM laid on the front room floor, surrounded by empty bottles of cider, attempting to kicking his own arse, yelling "Mea culpa, mea culpa" and keeping me and half the fecking street awake ??????And whose this mea culpa he never told me about - some foreign bird ?
 

TheEditor

Newbie
I'm confused too. There are no Rear Admirals of the United Kingdom in the current Navy List, and as far as I am aware, there won't be in the 2009 list either. As no one has complained, I'm going to let sleeping Admirals lie!
 
TheEditor said:
I'm confused too. There are no Rear Admirals of the United Kingdom in the current Navy List, and as far as I am aware, there won't be in the 2009 list either. As no one has complained, I'm going to let sleeping Admirals lie!

I suspect there is no reference in the Navy List because the post is an office of state within the gift of the Crown rather than an honorary Royal Navy appointment; a bit like Lord Lieutenants and Deputy Lieutenants of counties. From The London Gazette (link):

London Gazette said:
Date: 3 May 2001 Issue Number: 56194 Page number: 5329

Publication Date: Thursday, 3 May 2001

Notice Code: 1108

House of Lords, London SW1A 0PW

30th April 2001

The Queen has been pleased by Letters Patent under the Great Seal of the Realm dated 30th April 2001, to grant unto Admiral Sir Kenneth John Eaton, G.B.E., K.C.B., the Office of Rear Admiral of the United Kingdom and of the Admiralty thereof in the room of Admiral Sir John Jeremy Black, G.B.E., K.C.B., D.S.O.

C. I. P. Denyer

How long ago was the Admiralty abolished even though there is still an Admiralty Board? 1964, I think.
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Press release: UK Hydrographic Office appoints Rear Admiral Tim Lowe CBE as Acting Chief Executive MoD News 0
soleil The Times: Rear-Admiral Wilfred Graham The Fleet 6
C Rear Admiral David Macey RN Current Affairs 5
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp Rear-Admiral Linley Middleton RIP The Fleet 4
P Rear Admiral Sefton Ronald Sandford CB RN(retd) Current Affairs 0
scouse The Rear Admiral is having a Senior Moment Current Affairs 24
M Rear Admiral Sir John Fleming History 0
D Death of Rear Admiral Sam Salt Current Affairs 15
trelawney126 Times Obituary Rear Admiral Sturdee FO Gib 1969-1972 Current Affairs 3
jesse Rear Admiral Jozef Bartosik History 15
nobby0919 Rear Admiral Courtney-Anderson - Obituary. History 0
21_Man Rear-Admiral Sir Paul Greening History 0
janner Rear-Admiral Michael Kyrle Pope Submariners 4
T Rear Admiral John Borley CB MA CEng RN (Ret'd) The Fleet 15
I Donald S. Evans, Rear Admiral US Navy History 5
J Rear Admiral epaulette change? History 52
D Engineer Rear Admirals History 32
R12_CV Rear-of-the-Year 2011 The Quarterdeck 0
golden_rivet REAR PARTY The Gash Barge 13
Seadog Rear Party Banner Ad Site Issues 15
B Rear Party Nearest & Dearest 1
soleil FB: Royal Naval Benevolent Trust - Go Ahead For RNBT’s Centenary Care Home Project, Admiral Jellicoe House. Charity 2
MoD_RSS Alexander Dalrymple Award presented to Vice Admiral Vinay Badhwar MoD News 0
soleil Asian Image: "Royal Navy Admiral Visits Birmingham’s Central Mosque" The Fleet 2
K Admiral's barge HMS Queen Elizabeth circa 1918 History 6
soleil The Times: Vice-Admiral Sir James Weatherall The Fleet 2
S Who upset Admiral Z? Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 85
MoD_RSS News story: US Navy Vice Admiral shows commitment to combined carrier strike MoD News 0
soleil Pompey News: "Admiral Backs Plan For Future Of Portsmouth’s Shipyard Operation" Bases / Shore Est 5
soleil Express: "Defence Cuts Imperil Our Proud Nation, Warns Top Admiral" Current Affairs 2
S Admiral takes the helm of Portsmouth-based charity Charity 0
soleil News Wales: "Admiral Sir Max Horton - Rhosneigr Honours Naval Hero" History 4
MoD_RSS News story: Admiral Zambellas new First Sea Lord MoD News 37
MoD_RSS News story: UK Admiral takes over NATO's new Maritime Command MoD News 0
scouse Admiral Stanhope quote The Fleet Air Arm 3
soleil Guardian: "We're Learning From Astute Submarine Flaws, Admiral Promises" Submariners 1
soleil Herald: "Admiral Says Thank You" The Fleet 12
scouse Admiral Lyn Middleton The Fleet Air Arm 1
trelawney126 Admiral Stanhope wins the Cheapskate Tri service Competition Diamond Lil's 10
scouse Vice Admiral Lord Horatio Nelson History 19
soleil Herald: "Admiral On First Visit To Raleigh" Bases / Shore Est 0
soleil R4 Today Programme - Admiral Lord West On Burials At Sea The Fleet 1
soleil T'graph: "Admiral Lord West: 'The Big Lie Of The Defence Funding 'Black Hole'" Current Affairs 5
soleil Pompey News: "Royal Navy Needs Two More Destroyers Now Says Admiral" The Fleet 0
Chaz Admiral & a Chief Nautical Jokes 3
soleil Telegraph: Admiral Sir Raymond Lygo The Fleet Air Arm 1
MoD_RSS Admiral visits Arctic helicopter training base Current Affairs 2
fishface Admiral Woodward sitting on the fence.... Current Affairs 11
MoD_RSS HMS York monitors Russian aircraft carrier 'Admiral Kuznetsov' Current Affairs 0
soleil FT: Admiral Sir John Treacher et al: Britain’s Duty To Strengthen Its Maritime Power Current Affairs 6
Similar threads


















































Latest Threads

New Posts

Top